Covid-19 Legoland. Please help :'(

Posted 18th Mar
We booked to go to Legoland back in November as a Christmas gift to our 2 children. Over the last few days, both have had new ongoing coughs and one has a temperature. I have contacted Legoland via phone and email to let them know and discuss cancellation. They have said it will a fee of over £130 to cancel (I paid £170 for the booking!) The credit card company said they can't help unless they tell us we can't go.

We're following government guidelines to stay at home and not travel if we don't need to (we're over 100 miles away from Windsor) and also their requests on their FAQ page to stay away if you are ill or at risk.

They have said I can move the booking to another day, but there is nothing that isn't at least £80 more, and they have said I must pay the difference. We are self employed and are currently in a financial situation where our clients are cancelling their memberships, so we cannot afford any more money towards this trip.

Is there anything I can do? I'm in such a panic and there is no way we are taking the children to potentially infect others at the park!
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
When is the booking for? As my guess is that they will be forced to close very shortly with the increased measures being implemented each day.
As of now they are still operating as normal. So the normal T&C's apply i believe. When are you due to go? Also is it possible to get tested as could just be a cold / fever and not Covid-19 related.
As someone who lives in Windsor, I wouldn’t go. It’s not the nicest place to be right now.
I’d ask Legoland if they will allow you entry when you’re all showing symptoms and try to play them at their own games. Schools in Windsor are looking to start closing Friday so there may be a lot of people there if locals take their kids there too, so they should not be encouraging you to go.
Edited by: "choccie32" 18th Mar
SmokinAce718/03/2020 11:09

As of now they are still operating as normal. So the normal T&C's apply i …As of now they are still operating as normal. So the normal T&C's apply i believe. When are you due to go? Also is it possible to get tested as could just be a cold / fever and not Covid-19 related.

Email them asking them to just confirm that they would rather you took two kids with symptoms of coronavirus into their crowded environment than issue you a refund. Ask for a contact name in their press office.

Let them work out for themselves the implications.
I am shocked at this. If it was me, I would look into all avenues to get a full refund. Cancellation fee of 130 is a joke. Never heard of this. Surely there are exceptional circumstances.
What I usually do is if I don't get success with first agent, I call again as sometimes you get someone who is more understanding and prepared to help.
If not then escalate it to manager. Always try to be polite as possible. A favourable outcome will really depend on how persistent you are.
In future i think it's better to pay by credit card as you have more protection.
I'm no expert, but perhaps Legoland would be forced to close eventually, at this rate the govt will (slowly) / hopefully start telling everyone things like that should not be open and perhaps they would have to refund (they would be cancelling your contract with them).
I'm hoping the govt force people to not go on their easter hols within the UK, otherwise we will end up like Italy. worldometers.info/cor…us/
Contact Martin Lewis , via Moneysavingexpert and ask for his help. You don't say when you booked for, but I can't imagine they will stay open for long. Maybe a call to the Sun newspaper, and other press, would help influence them. Record all calls to and from them (for your own use only, of course) and keep copies of all emails etc.
Sit it out and wait for them to close themselves, try not to stress over it at the end of the day its only money, your families health is more important try to concentrate on that
Hopefully they will shut and you get refund..
Did you choose not to take the cancellation protection option at time of booking?
When is your trip booked in for? I'm assuming that very soon Legoland will announce that it is having to shut down so they might well be cancelling your visit themselves anyway.
Haircut_10018/03/2020 12:06

When is your trip booked in for? I'm assuming that very soon Legoland will …When is your trip booked in for? I'm assuming that very soon Legoland will announce that it is having to shut down so they might well be cancelling your visit themselves anyway.

Ringfinger18/03/2020 11:36

Contact Martin Lewis , via Moneysavingexpert and ask for his help. You …Contact Martin Lewis , via Moneysavingexpert and ask for his help. You don't say when you booked for, but I can't imagine they will stay open for long. Maybe a call to the Sun newspaper, and other press, would help influence them. Record all calls to and from them (for your own use only, of course) and keep copies of all emails etc.

AnkerMan18/03/2020 11:22

I am shocked at this. If it was me, I would look into all avenues to get a …I am shocked at this. If it was me, I would look into all avenues to get a full refund. Cancellation fee of 130 is a joke. Never heard of this. Surely there are exceptional circumstances. What I usually do is if I don't get success with first agent, I call again as sometimes you get someone who is more understanding and prepared to help. If not then escalate it to manager. Always try to be polite as possible. A favourable outcome will really depend on how persistent you are.In future i think it's better to pay by credit card as you have more protection.

We're due to go on Saturday I honestly am at a loss. I didn't take out the £10 cancellation protection as I had no reason to think we'd cancel. If it were for another reason, I'd accept their decision, but I can't help but think there's something I'm missing. I've spoken to 3 different people and all have said the same.

We booked back in November and unfortunately my crystal ball predicting works epidemics was out for repair that day !
ginabeex18/03/2020 12:23

We're due to go on Saturday I honestly am at a loss. I didn't take …We're due to go on Saturday I honestly am at a loss. I didn't take out the £10 cancellation protection as I had no reason to think we'd cancel. If it were for another reason, I'd accept their decision, but I can't help but think there's something I'm missing. I've spoken to 3 different people and all have said the same. We booked back in November and unfortunately my crystal ball predicting works epidemics was out for repair that day !

Tell the you will turn up all ill, and when they refuse entry claim a refund from card as they stopped you..
ginabeex18/03/2020 12:23

We're due to go on Saturday I honestly am at a loss. I didn't take …We're due to go on Saturday I honestly am at a loss. I didn't take out the £10 cancellation protection as I had no reason to think we'd cancel. If it were for another reason, I'd accept their decision, but I can't help but think there's something I'm missing. I've spoken to 3 different people and all have said the same. We booked back in November and unfortunately my crystal ball predicting works epidemics was out for repair that day !

I didnt take protection against a theatre ticket and then got sick in January. Will always take protection after that experience.
I wish i knew more on the subject and hope you find a solution. I have personally written letter of complaint in past to a company that refused recourse. Depends on how strongly you feel on the subject.
Rune_2H18/03/2020 13:38

Comment deleted

No I’m quite sure I know where I live.
It's really tough, but you may just have to accept the loss, and hope closure is announced in the next day or two - it seems very unfair, as I can't imagine they can possibly stay open (it seems reckless in the extreme). You should be congratulated for being a responsible parent. Good luck.
new update on their website

We want to help as much as we can. If you still want to go ahead with your visit, we look forward to seeing you, but we understand that you may wish to change your forthcoming travel plans. Therefore, if you have booked a ticket to visit LEGOLAND Windsor between now and the 1st May 2020, your ticket will be valid for use during the 2020 season. We will review the situation in April to decide whether to extend this approach. If you have booked a short break but wish to change your booking, please contact our short breaks team who will discuss the options that are available to you. Contact details for this team can be found on your booking confirmation.
eslick19/03/2020 08:22

new update on their websiteWe want to help as much as we can. If you …new update on their websiteWe want to help as much as we can. If you still want to go ahead with your visit, we look forward to seeing you, but we understand that you may wish to change your forthcoming travel plans. Therefore, if you have booked a ticket to visit LEGOLAND Windsor between now and the 1st May 2020, your ticket will be valid for use during the 2020 season. We will review the situation in April to decide whether to extend this approach. If you have booked a short break but wish to change your booking, please contact our short breaks team who will discuss the options that are available to you. Contact details for this team can be found on your booking confirmation.

They've offered me vouchers to the total of my stay. The girl I've been dealing with has assured me that if it gets close to the expiry of the vouchers and the park is not open, or things still aren't good, she will let me know.

I guess persistence was the key this time. I've made sure everything is via email so I have a paper trail of everything we've discussed.

Thank you everyone for your advice x
ginabeex19/03/2020 10:47

They've offered me vouchers to the total of my stay. The girl I've been …They've offered me vouchers to the total of my stay. The girl I've been dealing with has assured me that if it gets close to the expiry of the vouchers and the park is not open, or things still aren't good, she will let me know. I guess persistence was the key this time. I've made sure everything is via email so I have a paper trail of everything we've discussed.Thank you everyone for your advice x

If you get no joy, try emailing one of the directors of Legoland. ceoemail.com/s.p…tor

Or go to the very top and email the CEO of Merlin (their owner) ceoemail.com/s.p…ive

Sometimes you just have to bypass the frontline customer services to get what you’re after.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants