Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Covid-19 Travel insurance

Posted 23rd Jul 2020
I've just been approved for an essential flight to Canada to visit a terminally ill family member, flying out tomorrow but I have no idea where to start with getting a travel insurance that will cover for Covid-19 and any other Covid-19 implications that could arise.

Is anyone able to recommend a company that I can get in touch with?

Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Canada is still on the list by the government where it advises against travel in all but essential cases.
You might find someone to sell you travel insurance but in the instance you need to use it, it will be invalid as you haven’t followed your governments advice.

gov.uk/for…ada

goodtogoinsurance.com/tra…ngs

41467609-89w8c.jpg
Edited by: "Kratos69" 23rd Jul
Generally insurance is to cover un-forseen eventualities, Covid-19 since early March is not considered such. However, since the FCO allows travel to Canada you can get normal insurance with whatever caveats they include. You may find this article useful if you do want to try & find one that'll cover you for Covid-19: telegraph.co.uk/mon…er/

"Policies that cover coronavirusThere are a few providers that are offering wider Covid-19 cover, including costs of cancellations, medical treatment and repatriation.

Trailfinders, CoverForYou, Cedar Tree and Outbacker are all offering full cover, according to Mr Brown.

Provider Insurefor.com is also due to sell new policies with full cover, including protection before and during the trip, such as if you test positive for Covid-19 within 14 days of your holiday, if you have been hospitalised within 28 days of your holiday, or if you are not allowed to board your flight as a result of a positive coronavirus test or raised temperature.

An increasing number of insurance providers are changing their policies to include cover for medical costs if you catch Covid-19 while on holiday.

Axa, Coverwise, Leisure Guard, The Post Office, Saga and Staysure are offering policies with some coronavirus cover, including medical treatment and repatriation. It is understood that LV and Insurewith also cover medical costs.

"

Safe travels. x
Edited by: "IamMT" 23rd Jul
Kratos6923/07/2020 10:27

Canada is still on the list by the government where it advises against …Canada is still on the list by the government where it advises against travel in all but essential cases.You might find someone to sell you travel insurance but in the instance you need to use it, it will be invalid as you haven’t followed your governments advice.https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/canadahttps://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/travel-advice/fco-travel-warnings[Image]

Actually, from the government site: "From 4 July, Canada is exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel. This is based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. The requirement to self-isolate on return to the UK from Canada remains in place."
I’m not sure if that is still correct actually, the FCO website says all but essential travel is not advised on the main Canada page but also says this on the list of exempt countries page:

41467695-UcTGJ.jpg
It appears you’ll be denied entry though unless you’re a resident or the family member is immediate family.

41467695-gmuck.jpg
You’ll also need to spend at least 14 days there to comply with their self isolation rules and then self isolate here for 14 days on return.
IamMT23/07/2020 10:35

Actually, from the government site: "From 4 July, Canada is exempt from …Actually, from the government site: "From 4 July, Canada is exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel. This is based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. The requirement to self-isolate on return to the UK from Canada remains in place."

IamMT23/07/2020 10:35

Actually, from the government site: "From 4 July, Canada is exempt from …Actually, from the government site: "From 4 July, Canada is exempt from the FCO advice against all non-essential international travel. This is based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. The requirement to self-isolate on return to the UK from Canada remains in place."

Beat me to my updated comment by 21 seconds lol. That being said OP will likely be refused entry unless it’s an immediate family member and have to stay in the country for a minimum of two weeks to comply with Canada’s own self isolation rules.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 23rd Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text