Covid positive and work

Posted 18th Apr
Hi all
one of my colleague test positive for covid 19 today the work place is not cleaned for several weeks and I updated my management about the high risk I am working
They say we need to keep working and they will replace the guy who got Covid 19

I checked they won't furlong us if called sick will only paid £95 a week my wife is pregnant and I am concerned about it as well

what are option do we have?
please advise
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Here is your answers maternityaction.org.uk/cov…gh/ Good luck.

"Government guidance says that employers can offer furlough to those who are advised to shield because they are at an increased risk from coronavirus or who live with someone who is shielding, such as an elderly relative or if you are pregnant and at high risk."

An employer does not have to do the furlough paperwork, however, you could try to offer assistance in the admin paperwork.

Plus this maternityaction.org.uk/cov…qs/

If employer does not do furlough, then I think, but I am not sure, he may be obliged to suspend you on full pay, see here:-
herbertsmithfreehills.com/lat…-uk

"Individuals with underlying health conditions may well qualify as disabled and therefore the employer would be under a duty to make reasonable adjustments. Again, this might involve identifying another role that can be done from home or temporarily suspending them on full pay if this is not feasible.

The amendments to the Statutory Sick Pay (General) (Coronavirus Amendment) Regulations 2020 made on 28 March by the Statutory Sick Pay (Coronavirus) (Suspension of Waiting Days and General Amendment) Regulations 2020 now make clear that vulnerable individuals who are strongly advised to socially distance themselves will not qualify for SSP. Employers may choose to pay them full pay, allow them to take annual or unpaid leave or offer to place them on furlough (see Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme below) in these circumstances. In some cases, contractual sick pay policies might apply."
Edited by: "splender" 18th Apr
Whats your job?

Is that Dominic Cummings ?
You are entitled to a clean workplace. Once they've cleaned ( just a normal, thorough clean) you need to work. Your company don't have to furlough you. You don't need to shield.

They might ask you to do the cleaning if there are no cleaners - as long as they quickly COSHH train you that's fine.
Stuff work mate speaking as someone who probably had it stay at home for about a month and don't believe any of this 7 day utter BS.
I was in similar situation. MY wife is expecting soon. Contacted Unite and we have a brilliant union rep.
The point is if a partner is pregnant but you are working than by going to work and coming home , you are in affect defeating the entire point of the pregnant partner self isolating.
Thanks to the union rep they changed the guidance and anyone residing with a vulnerable person was not expected to come to work.
As a council employee , this was on full pay.
Really feel for you , as I was in same situation.
I would put family first. Are you with any union?
adamderak18/04/2020 23:25

I was in similar situation. MY wife is expecting soon. Contacted Unite and …I was in similar situation. MY wife is expecting soon. Contacted Unite and we have a brilliant union rep. The point is if a partner is pregnant but you are working than by going to work and coming home , you are in affect defeating the entire point of the pregnant partner self isolating.Thanks to the union rep they changed the guidance and anyone residing with a vulnerable person was not expected to come to work.As a council employee , this was on full pay.Really feel for you , as I was in same situation.I would put family first. Are you with any union?

No union mate
Does a letter from gp/midwife will help?
m4018/04/2020 23:49

No union mateDoes a letter from gp/midwife will help?

You could join a union and still get help, although they won't be able to assist with any legal proceedings.
Could you agre to take a temporary pay cut of 20% and than furlough.
Government would pay 80% and your employer would not be loosing any money.
Might we worth getting a supporting statement from GP/midwife stating that by you going to work and interacting with other people compromises your wife's isolation & her and the newborns health.
They are required to provide a safe working environment, the desk needs to be disinfected.

Outside of that, you're reliant on the employer's good will as legally, you're required to work.

Pregnancy alone does not class you as being vulnerable, there needs to be another underlying condition. Getting in contact with a union is your best bet as they have some muscle to push your case. Be careful not to say anything that implies you cannot do your job as that would give them grounds to make you redundant.

gov.uk/gov…-19
Cleaning is a reasonable ask for an employer given the circumstances, you can lodge a complaint with HSE if they refuse.

Otherwise you do have to work and to be fair the risk with that person not present is actually minimal as long as you follow the advised practices around hygiene yourself. From the perspective of getting it if you were likely to get it you would have caught it while they weren't symptomatic so the risk has largely passed for you.

If you still have to work and your partner needs to self isolate you can take a lot of measures to socially distance at home, which isn't ideal, but hopefully given the temporary nature of the risk factor should be doable.
When was the other employee last at work and in the area you work?
Edited by: "chocci" 19th Apr
Bargainhead19/04/2020 06:03

Comment deleted

HIs missus is pregnant and she is self-isolating, hence his "crying". If you going to reply at least read the entire thread properly.
I would just go on ssp. It will be a tough few months but you'll be alive. Don't risk lives and the live of your unborn for child for money.
Remember the employer does need to put you on furlough, it's optional for them and no law not to.

To be safe, jump to UC if you can.
john_chappell19/04/2020 08:49

I would just go on ssp. It will be a tough few months but you'll be alive. …I would just go on ssp. It will be a tough few months but you'll be alive. Don't risk lives and the live of your unborn for child for money.

I would call your doctor etc. Any reasonable do for will sign you off sick with anxiety in these times. They'll issue a sick note by email
If your employer isn’t taking any steps to minimise risk take your own. Avoid communal areas but if you do have to use communal areas eg kitchens, toilets then use hand gel immediately after using them. Get some antiseptic wipes and wipe door handles etc several times a day. If your workspace allows it do not work directly opposite someone and try and keep 2 metres apart....
Edited by: "gari189" 19th Apr
rimalpatel00719/04/2020 09:07

Remember the employer does need to put you on furlough, it's optional for …Remember the employer does need to put you on furlough, it's optional for them and no law not to. To be safe, jump to UC if you can.

But I am still in employment as I am self isolating does still can apply for UC
Please advise never had benefit in life and how it work
john_chappell19/04/2020 09:11

I would call your doctor etc. Any reasonable do for will sign you off sick …I would call your doctor etc. Any reasonable do for will sign you off sick with anxiety in these times. They'll issue a sick note by email

Yeah I will go for online self isolation note but we never know how long this virus will last and for how long I can get self isolation notes
I think its max 2 weeks than have to go to work I might be wrong
m4019/04/2020 09:29

Yeah I will go for online self isolation note but we never know how long …Yeah I will go for online self isolation note but we never know how long this virus will last and for how long I can get self isolation notesI think its max 2 weeks than have to go to work I might be wrong

Edit: I misread what you wrote. Don't go online for a isolation note. You haven't got symptoms and you'll need longer.

Exactly that. Ring gp and say you can't sleep. Depressed. Which you probably are. Don't get a isolation note because you haven't got symptoms and you want for longer. You'll get a note sent by email after phone consultation
Edited by: "john_chappell" 19th Apr
john_chappell19/04/2020 10:45

Edit: I misread what you wrote. Don't go online for a isolation note. You …Edit: I misread what you wrote. Don't go online for a isolation note. You haven't got symptoms and you'll need longer. Exactly that. Ring gp and say you can't sleep. Depressed. Which you probably are. Don't get a isolation note because you haven't got symptoms and you want for longer. You'll get a note sent by email after phone consultation

If things dont improve thinking to go for universal credit dont know how it work as never claimed benefits but now I will give it a go
m4019/04/2020 18:00

If things dont improve thinking to go for universal credit dont know how … If things dont improve thinking to go for universal credit dont know how it work as never claimed benefits but now I will give it a go

Good luck
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions