Groups

CPU Overclocking Help

this is off topic but im sure someone will know the answer i recently overclocked my cpu and i runs fine i did a 8 hour stability test and it had no problems what so ever running at 42 deg but how come one core is allot slower then the other is this normal ?

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91/scotto160592/untitled-9.png

60 Comments

You cant,The maximum card to work with the 8200 onboard is the 8500gt,You just need to use the 8800gs on its own ,Did you get one from PCW in the end ?

Original Poster

this is off topic but im sure someone will know the answer i recently overclocked my cpu and i runs fine i did a 8 hour stability test and it had no problems what so ever running at 42 deg but how come one core is allot slower then the other is this normal ?

Original Poster

iv just looked here nvidia.com/obj…tml

would hybrid power work with my 8200 and 8800 ?

The 8800gs is faster than any SLI setup you can run with that board anyway so just intall that ,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;4514146

The 8800gs is faster than any SLI setup you can run with that board … The 8800gs is faster than any SLI setup you can run with that board anyway so just intall that ,

i will do when i get it lol :thumbsup:

Original Poster

tonyg1962;4514146

The 8800gs is faster than any SLI setup you can run with that board … The 8800gs is faster than any SLI setup you can run with that board anyway so just intall that ,

do you know much about overclocking ?

you cant sli onboard gfx cards

Original Poster

djnaff;4514162

you cant sli onboard gfx cards

you can but only the 8400 and 8500 with my on board card nvidia.com/obj…tml

Hybrid power just means that when running SLI with another card,Whilst gaming the PC will use both cards but when running desktop apps one of the cards will power down to save electicity,This will only work if you run SLI,

Overclocking is something where if you have to ask then it is better to stay away from,Unless you can find someone with exactly the same setup then you could copy there settings and you may still have problems as every GPU and CPU accept different levels of OC,Best thing to do is look through various forums and read up on the subject for a few weeks before attempting anything,You can start by lloking at Rivatuner which is the best way to OC your graphics card
    guru3d.com/ind…ner

Original Poster

Original Poster

tonyg1962;4514206

Overclocking is something where if you have to ask then it is better to … Overclocking is something where if you have to ask then it is better to stay away from,Unless you can find someone with exactly the same setup then you could copy there settings and you may still have problems as every GPU and CPU accept different levels of OC,Best thing to do is look through various forums and read up on the subject for a few weeks before attempting anything,You can start by lloking at Rivatuner which is the best way to OC your graphics cardhttp://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

sorry i should of said i dont plan on overclocking my GPU iv overclocked my CPU

Its probably because the cores aren't being fully used (to test stability you need to make sure both cores are at 100%) one core is being throttled back using 'cool and quiet' to save power...

Original Poster

jah128;4514269

Its probably because the cores aren't being fully used (to test stability … Its probably because the cores aren't being fully used (to test stability you need to make sure both cores are at 100%) one core is being throttled back using 'cool and quiet' to save power...

oh right thanks should i turn cool and quite off ? if not how do i get both cores at 100% because everests stability test doesn't

When you overclock always turn off any features like cool and quiet. Unless your specifically looking for that sort of set-up.

tonyg1962;4514206

Overclocking is something where if you have to ask then it is better to … Overclocking is something where if you have to ask then it is better to stay away from

Surely no one would ever be able to overclock then. You have to ask to learn. I think the more you ask, the more seriously you are taking it and wanting to get it right, meaning it's safer for that kind of person to be in to overclocking.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;4514324

When you overclock always turn off any features like cool and quiet.

:thumbsup: thanks will do

Although I always thought cool and quiet modified the multiplier and not the HTT speed. You obviously have something set-up incorrectly as both cores should be identical. Try using another piece of software like Cpuz to make sure it is giving the same results as Everest.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;4514380

Although I always thought cool and quiet modified the multiplier and not … Although I always thought cool and quiet modified the multiplier and not the HTT speed. You obviously have something set-up incorrectly as both cores should be identical. Try using another piece of software like Cpuz to make sure it is giving the same results as Everest.

i think CPU-z doesn't show each core anyway heres a screen shot and i turned cool and quite and still no deference

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91/scotto160592/1-1.png

Original Poster

ill give you a bit more information i changed the multiplier to x15 the frequency to 210mhz and the voltage +100nv and im using a ZEROtherm Nirvana NV 120 Cpu Cooler

Not done any overclocking for a few years but it may well be a cache bandwidth allocation problem. That core one is taking to much bandwidth resulting in a shortage for core 2 which results in it clocking back. So to test this out, clock it more and if core 2 drops as core 1 increases you will have your answer.

I think the days are gone when heat is your only major issue.

Banned

Have you got matching memory? ones showing up as DDR2 1120 the other DDR2 1008, check the settings match in BIOS otherwise it's to do with your memory clock speed which are different. They need to be the same. Memory clock and CPU clock are linked

Original Poster

lumoruk;4514558

Have you got matching memory? ones showing up as DDR2 1120 the other DDR2 … Have you got matching memory? ones showing up as DDR2 1120 the other DDR2 1008, check the settings match in BIOS otherwise it's to do with your memory clock speed which are different. They need to be the same. Memory clock and CPU clock are linked

yes there both 1066mhz hyperx ram but they show as 800mhz for some reason so i just clocked them as 533mhz

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4514527

Not done any overclocking for a few years but it may well be a cache … Not done any overclocking for a few years but it may well be a cache bandwidth allocation problem. That core one is taking to much bandwidth resulting in a shortage for core 2 which results in it clocking back. So to test this out, clock it more and if core 2 drops as core 1 increases you will have your answer.I think the days are gone when heat is your only major issue.

ill try this now one second

Banned

scott160592;4514581

yes there both 1066mhz hyperx ram but they show as 800mhz for some reason … yes there both 1066mhz hyperx ram but they show as 800mhz for some reason so i just clocked them as 533mhz

well it's not working they need to be the same? :?

Does your motherboard support the voltage requirement of your RAM as my old Asus motherboard wouldn't do 2.1v only supported 1.8v. Also the clock given in some programs is before FSB ratio is taken into account not sure how it's done but 16:6 (your front side bus to DRAM ratio) = 2.7 so 1066Mhz / 2.7 = 395Mhz which is what you should be setting them as? I've now got an AMD chipset board by Gigabyte but I can use the Nvidia monitoring software which shows the correct clock speed of my memory which is 800Mhz, in CPUZ it shows up as 400Mhz.

Original Poster

lumoruk;4514599

well it's not working they need to be the same? :?Does your motherboard … well it's not working they need to be the same? :?Does your motherboard support the voltage requirement of your RAM as my old Asus motherboard wouldn't do 2.1v only supported 1.8v. Also the clock given in some programs is before FSB ratio is taken into account not sure how it's done but 16:6 (your front side bus to DRAM ratio) = 2.7 so 1066Mhz / 2.7 = 395Mhz which is what you should be setting them as? I've now got an AMD chipset board by Gigabyte but I can use the Nvidia monitoring software which shows the correct clock speed of my memory which is 800Mhz, in CPUZ it shows up as 400Mhz.

yes my motherboard supports 1066mhz ram and there at 2.1v

Original Poster

iv just put i back to normal when its not overclocked both cores run identical and both memory run at 533mhz so it isnt the memory

I've used prime95 in the past a program to stress all cores and an option to stress memory as well, free ware just google.

Original Poster

does anyone think it could be my power supply because its a nasty cheap one

Banned

scott160592;4514686

iv just put i back to normal when its not overclocked both cores run … iv just put i back to normal when its not overclocked both cores run identical and both memory run at 533mhz so it isnt the memory

whhaaa?

Could be anything in my book, something doesn't like the default core frequency being increased. I'm going to say it's the motherboard that's forked.

Original Poster

lumoruk;4514959

whhaaa?Could be anything in my book, something doesn't like the default … whhaaa?Could be anything in my book, something doesn't like the default core frequency being increased. I'm going to say it's the motherboard that's forked.

it better not be lol its only 1 week old its a ASUS M3N78 which is made for overclock in mind

it seems the more i overclock it the higher the first core gos but the second goes lower

Try [email protected]

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4515181

Try [email protected]

the second core is even slower now do i need to change the vcore voltage and the nb one ?

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91/scotto160592/2545.jpg

Try playing with the ganged and unganged settings in the BIOS. Everest is reporting that it is setup ganged but its acting as if it is setup for unganged.

Yes not much headway on this best to just play about and get the best out of it. I think you have to remember that it is only a £50 processor and AMD has pushed it quite far already.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;4515299

Try playing with the ganged and unganged settings in the BIOS. Everest is … Try playing with the ganged and unganged settings in the BIOS. Everest is reporting that it is setup ganged but its acting as if it is setup for unganged.

ill have a look, just to let you know if you leave the multiplier at x13.5 and just change the frequency both cores run the at same speed

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91/scotto160592/4444.jpg

would i be ok just changing the frequency and the voltage if i cant get the multiplier working ?

scott160592;4515357

ill have a look, just to let you know if you leave the multiplier at … ill have a look, just to let you know if you leave the multiplier at x13.5 and just change the frequency both cores run the at same speedwould i be ok just changing the frequency and the voltage if i cant get the multiplier working ?

Well yes but I don't think you will get that far with it. I would be very careful about going over 1.6v too. Well I wouldn't.

Do you need both cores running the same anyway? If its stable just choose whats best for you.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4515536

Well yes but I don't think you will get that far with it. I would be very … Well yes but I don't think you will get that far with it. I would be very careful about going over 1.6v too. Well I wouldn't. Do you need both cores running the same anyway? If its stable just choose whats best for you.

you have a good point there do you think it would be safe at about 230 frequency

scott160592;4515581

you have a good point there do you think it would be safe at about 230 … you have a good point there do you think it would be safe at about 230 frequency

Should be fine just googled the 7750 for overclocking and you are getting about what can be expected. Your already getting plenty of bang for your bucks. As they say ' you cant get something for nothing'.

As I've said it been a long time since my overclocking days when heat was the only problem. I have no need now and tend to save on the motherboard cost and chuck the extra cash at a higher processor.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4515660

Should be fine just googled the 7750 for overclocking and you are getting … Should be fine just googled the 7750 for overclocking and you are getting about what can be expected. Your already getting plenty of bang for your bucks. As they say ' you cant get something for nothing'. As I've said it been a long time since my overclocking days when heat was the only problem. I have no need now and tend to save on the motherboard cost and chuck the extra cash at a higher processor.

seems like 210s the tops my motherboard just says overclocking failed if i go above that
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30388
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1639
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …77132
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846278

See more discussions