CPU Temperature

Posted 11th Oct
Hello,

I bought a new laptop the other day and today I thought I’d monitor temperatures while something was downloading and the battery was also being charged.

It reached 84 degrees (but is averaging 40-50 atm, still downloading but not on charge) and I was wondering if this was anything to be concerned about considering that the laptop is new. The CPU is i7-9750H.

If it is something to be concerned about, what steps should I take next? Is there any way of getting the temperature to reduce?

TIA
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Many people moan about fan noise on laptops, so most manufacturers run the fan profile at the slowest they can get away with.
84°c is well within the 100°c maximum temperature set by Intel. It will thermal throttle if it gets too hot so not to worry about it.

Obviously keeping the room you are using it in a cool as possible will be best and using it on a desk or hardback book if using it on your lap will help keep air flowing through the air intakes (which are generally on the base).

So don't worry and just enjoy your new laptop.
It's a beast of a CPU for a laptop. I suspect it's just trying to use as much of its processing power it can without thermal throttle.

You could try one of those cooling pads with a fan to whip away a little heat. However the CPU may just use the extra cooling to ramp up performance.

I wouldn't worry to much, the machine will protect its internal components from over heat
Does it give that temp under load or normal use?
It seems as though that processor is allowed max 100c.

My i5 use to run hot. And being somewhat OCD, I made myself a cooling pad with a computer fan and a 12v adapter. Cooled it fine.

Try using ur laptop on hard services, and not directly on places such as a duvet.
expandingmaan11/10/2019 20:49

Does it give that temp under load or normal use?It seems as though that …Does it give that temp under load or normal use?It seems as though that processor is allowed max 100c. My i5 use to run hot. And being somewhat OCD, I made myself a cooling pad with a computer fan and a 12v adapter. Cooled it fine. Try using ur laptop on hard services, and not directly on places such as a duvet.

I’ve been keeping it on hard services because I know all too well from other people the consequences or not.

This was while it was downloading something while on charge so not sure if that counts as “under load” or not
Mechtup11/10/2019 20:51

I’ve been keeping it on hard services because I know all too well from o …I’ve been keeping it on hard services because I know all too well from other people the consequences or not.This was while it was downloading something while on charge so not sure if that counts as “under load” or not

In my experiences of using several laptops, some just generally run hotter than others.
Especially when they are slimmer laptops with compact hardware.

You could invest in a cooling pad. If you do intend to get one, get one which sources it’s power from an external plug or whatever, and doesn’t source its power from the laptops usb. Otherwise it may cause the laptop to heat up more having to drive the fan.
I think charging the battery makes a lot of heat regardless of the laptop being on, so if using and charging at same time not very good .like when you charge your phone it gets quite warm even though its just been laying there.
hope this helps.
Thanks for all the reply’s I won’t worry about it now but will see how it goes.

Though now I have another problem which is something I dismissed initially but thought it’d be worth a mention anyway considering I’ve never had it happen with a laptop before- it makes an external noise (almost like when sticky keys are enabled) whenever the charger is plugged in/ unplugged.
GAVINLEWISHUKD11/10/2019 20:16

Many people moan about fan noise on laptops, so most manufacturers run the …Many people moan about fan noise on laptops, so most manufacturers run the fan profile at the slowest they can get away with. 84°c is well within the 100°c maximum temperature set by Intel. It will thermal throttle if it gets too hot so not to worry about it.Obviously keeping the room you are using it in a cool as possible will be best and using it on a desk or hardback book if using it on your lap will help keep air flowing through the air intakes (which are generally on the base).So don't worry and just enjoy your new laptop.

Fan noise is actually something I like to hear with laptops because I know the temperatures are getting taken care of then, but I guess it’s noisy for others.

Thankyou for your help and reply
A 4k video on YouTube full screen will put it under load
38650215-2yaKa.jpg
These are stats after a quick 5-10 minutes of having a game up. 4 degrees from the shut off limit at its highest. I guess I’ll just have to try to remember not to have it plugged in.
Mechtup12/10/2019 00:51

[Image] These are stats after a quick 5-10 minutes of having a game up. 4 …[Image] These are stats after a quick 5-10 minutes of having a game up. 4 degrees from the shut off limit at its highest. I guess I’ll just have to try to remember not to have it plugged in.

Something isn't right there. That's far too hot. What laptop is it? What game were you playing? And what about the GPU temp?
Edited by: "rev6" 12th Oct
Yeah what surface you got the laptop on, can it breath?
rev612/10/2019 06:12

Something isn't right there. That's far too hot. What laptop is it? What …Something isn't right there. That's far too hot. What laptop is it? What game were you playing? And what about the GPU temp?

Sloman12/10/2019 09:38

Yeah what surface you got the laptop on, can it breath?

Acer Nitro 7, I was playing Destiny 2 and graphics were at low/medium, it was on a laptop tray and this was the GPU temp:
38652039-lD3yf.jpg
Check your fan profiles.
yes check fan speeds in bios if confident. but don't if you no idea ask someone who does.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants