Groups

cpu temps

i am currently running a programme called CORE TEMP 0.99.4
    downloadable from here alcpu.com/Cor…mp/
    my querie is this, im running it on a Q6600 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.4ghz the temps in bios are about 28c - 30c, but on core temp they show between 36c - 40c throughout the four cores.
    but on my sons pc which is a core 2 duo E6550 2.33ghz running at stock bios 22c - 26c, but on core temp it says 36c - 40c.

we both have the same coolers "artic cooling freezer 7" 4gb ram high end graphics, so basiclly the same machine but different cpu's, so why would core temp say the same temps but the bios is different but probably correct and also what temps do you get...............

rep given, thanks

13 Comments

its due to TDP, the Q6600 will run at around 95-105W depending on model, more energy hungry than the E6550 which consumes around 65W, that'll be the main issue, and 36-40W is very good

Original Poster

my Q6600 is the go stepping so is the more energy efficent, so when mine is idle it ticks over at 2.2ghz not full wack

wickedteen;4484853

my Q6600 is the go stepping so is the more energy efficent, so when mine … my Q6600 is the go stepping so is the more energy efficent, so when mine is idle it ticks over at 2.2ghz not full wack

still a 95W TDP, going to consume a little more energy than the dual core, therefore get hotter

Original Poster

so if my Q6600 uses more energy why are they both showing the same temps in core temp.
    are you running core temp in your pc? what are your temps.

Well my laptop doubles up as a patio heater =D never ever cuts out tho... must be made of asbestos or something lol.

Original Poster

laptops are completely different, they run idle at about 70c - 80c

download a program "speedfan" it will tell you the speeds .......... check see if that records a different temperature ..

a dual core will be less power hungry then a quad ...... as the quad has 2 more cores

they both might run at the same core temp tho due to the arctic freezer heatsink .... and the space inside the case etc

Original Poster

both the same cases, every thing the same but the cpu's
    i will post a pic later

Original Poster

speedfan is showing the same temps, it shows all four cores as between 36c - 40c the also shows the cpu as 30c, so a little confused

Remember the quad is essentially two dual-core dies spaced out on the package substrate so the heat is spread over a wider area, also unless all the cores are saturated the cooler will more than comfortably dissipate the heat. Unless you are stressing all the cores the temperature reading is a bit pointless anyway...

Whats the confusion? The CPU and core thermal monitors aren't the same (the core ones are within the cores themselves, the CPU is a separate sensor within the package but not on the CPU die).

Original Poster

so which temps do we watch out for, i'm going to put mx-2 paste on mine to see if there is any difference

wickedteen;4486039

so which temps do we watch out for, i'm going to put mx-2 paste on mine … so which temps do we watch out for, i'm going to put mx-2 paste on mine to see if there is any difference

The load temps really, if you run a few processes of Prime95 or SuperPi and things like that (and perhaps a game or benchmark to task the GPU) and make sure all the cores are at 100% you'll be able to see the worst-case temperatures will be...

The bios temp is useful to check the CPU fan works and to set a shutdown temp but doesn't really work for monitoring the actual CPU temp, as its never under load when in the bios menu (and the temperature will rise/fall very rapidly...)

Original Poster

just changed my paste to mx-2 paste and temps are at 35c idle
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What is there free to do in your town?13
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …278964
      3. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1020
      4. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1534

See more discussions