CPU Upgrade, Computer wont boot (no signal, no beeps)

Found 30th Nov 2017
Just need some input from others..

I have a zoostorm desktop with Asus H81m-k motherboard LGA1150 socket with G3220 intel 3ghz

I have bought a cpu (i3 4160 ) from a business seller on ebay who assured it came from a working PC. The motherboard is supposed to accept 4th gen i3/i5/i7's

However, when I put the cpu in and power up. There is no signal to monitor, no beeps. I see the cpu/gpu fans working and hard drive clicks for a few seconds (but not enough to be loading windows).

Ive put the old cpu back in and its working. Ive updated bios, reset cmos, removed RAM, used onboard VGA, Tried installing the cpu 3 times in total.

Is there anything else I could try, I dont really want to be breadboarding it all. Do you think the cpu is dead or could it be something else - I just want to make sure before I contact the seller.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

Sounds like you've tried everything. Must be dead.

Check your Motherboards support page for a new bios, many older motherboards need to be flashed with a new bios to take the newer gen haswells even if they're compatible.

This will need to be done with the old cpu in of course.

Oh wait. Nevermind. You said you updated the bios.

I'd go with the above comment.
Edited by: "Gynx" 30th Nov 2017

Probably a dead CPU, Static discharge may have killed it also :(.

Check to see you haven't got a flattened a socket pin on the motherboard. Annoying as it might only affect certain cpus.

Deffo check for bent pins. I had one once and whilst a G1840 worked a i5 4590 would not despite the bios supporting it and it working in another PC.

Same motherboard also had another bent pin and it stopped one of the sticks of ram being detected, once unbent it worked fine although getting it unbent was a nightmare.

emodan2 h, 51 m ago

Deffo check for bent pins. I had one once and whilst a G1840 worked a i5 …Deffo check for bent pins. I had one once and whilst a G1840 worked a i5 4590 would not despite the bios supporting it and it working in another PC.Same motherboard also had another bent pin and it stopped one of the sticks of ram being detected, once unbent it worked fine although getting it unbent was a nightmare.

Kudos for straightening them as it's a lot harder than operation

Original Poster

I have 2 of these zoostorm machines so will try the CPU in the second when my son isn't looking, cant see any bent pins (I thought we evolved away from those damn things!?)

You say you already updated BIOS - i3 4160 is on the support list since 0805
You don't mention clearing CMOS, though it's probably a long shot

Original Poster

Update, in process of returning the CPU (still have it), I bought a i5 from cex

That too won't boot (no signal)

Ive reset cmos again, taken the gfx card out to make sure its not hogging the power. The desktop is a zoostorm (with asus motherboard) so I might contact the zootstorm team on ebay and google asus help.

Original Poster

okayyy, psu is 250w

I have tried booting without HDD,Optical, GFX card, and all USB's etc surely if it was a power issue, removing all that would at least see the bootup?

Original Poster

So tried a new 600w psu and still wont boot (works ok with the old g3220 cpu)

Ive just read someone with the same motherboard (H81m) had a problem where the system would only boot if he removed the 4pin cpu cable from the psu, I havent tried that yet (is that even safe?).

I might have a short somewhere, so might have to breadboard it after all. but then it works ok with the old cpu. If it had a short, why is it only shorting on a i3 or i5 cpu?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions