CPU usage on laptop is constantly above 50% - Help Please!!!

Hi guys,

Am ususally pretty techy but can't fathom this one. My laptop is constantly above 50% cpu usage and the fan is constantly on and it's (constantly) hot! So task manager says 50%+ usage in performance, but in processes there is virtually nothing using the cpu. I've ordered it by cpu usage and it's using about 5%!

What's going on??

Thanks.

Vista business on HP 6730s. 50%+ usage from start up.

12 Comments

press ctrl, alt and del, then select tasl manager, and see what is runnning

wickedteen

press ctrl, alt and del, then select tasl manager, and see what is … press ctrl, alt and del, then select tasl manager, and see what is runnning

did you not read the question at all?,thats exactly what hes done and nothings showing..........

try starting up in safe mode see if its the same, also run malwarebytes from there.

Upgrade your Operating System to the latest version, Windows 7 in your case.

Run anti-malware software to remove any maware which maybe running.

Try re-installing the OS.

Move to Linux.

Buy a better CPU.

Original Poster

quizmaniac

did you not read the question at all?,thats exactly what hes done and … did you not read the question at all?,thats exactly what hes done and nothings showing..........

Thanks lol!

Original Poster

maddogb

try starting up in safe mode see if its the same, also run malwarebytes … try starting up in safe mode see if its the same, also run malwarebytes from there.

Will try that, thanks!

I've used malwarebytes on it maybe a month or two ago anyway, will use it again.

Original Poster

razta

Upgrade your Operating System to the latest version, Windows 7 in your … Upgrade your Operating System to the latest version, Windows 7 in your case.Run anti-malware software to remove any maware which maybe running.Try re-installing the OS.Move to Linux.Buy a better CPU.

Alot of expense most of that to fix a silly issue which has only just started and shouldn't be happening!

Daft as it may sound, once you have Task Manager started, you have clicked "Show processes from all users"?.
Apologies if you have but that will reveal a few more processes.....
I'm running win 7 64bit and have 52 processes, rarely exceed 54 but it's a tight ship most of the time
Edited by: "boydent999" 10th Apr 2011

Original Poster

boydent999

Daft as it may sound, once you have Task Manager started, you have … Daft as it may sound, once you have Task Manager started, you have clicked "Show processes from all users"?.Apologies if you have but that will reveal a few more processes.....I'm running win 7 64bit and have 52 processes, rarely exceed 54 but it's a tight ship most of the time

The genius of the day award goes to boydent999!!!

Clicking all users processes showed there to be something like PTNetworkUpdate or something, killed it and back to normal!

Change Cpu and update to Win 7, pffffft!!!!

Dust on the processor, clear your vents out with compressed air.

Benjimoron

The genius of the day award goes to boydent999!!!Clicking all users … The genius of the day award goes to boydent999!!!Clicking all users processes showed there to be something like PTNetworkUpdate or something, killed it and back to normal!Change Cpu and update to Win 7, pffffft!!!!

I'd not go that far just lots of experience of, "when computers go bad"
Glad it's sorted

Edited by: "boydent999" 10th Apr 2011

I guess in future I shouldn't take what you describe as gospel and instead assume stupidity. Sorry I tried to help you with your problem by giving suggestions.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. GOT Leaks again614
    2. PS4 Beta Software Version 5710
    3. Sad news about Barcelona2073
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846124

See more discussions