Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Crack in extension

Posted 9th Aug
3521872-POYoM.jpgHi, awaiting a company to come have a look but wanted to see any opinions. Moved into a new house and it had an extension built in around 1990. There appears to be a crack running along the concrete floor where the old house meets in extension. Would this just be movement over the years? Doesn’t look significant (to me) considering it’s been here since 1990.
Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Probably movement doesn't look structural.
Hopefully just movement and settling but you're doing the right thing by getting someone in to look at it, I would personally get more than 1 company in to check it to see if there is different results. Could potentially be subsiding.
Would also contact your house insurance if it is.
axa.co.uk/home-insurance/tips-and-guides/spotting-the-signs-of-subsidence/

Just realised you said you just moved, I would be wary judging by the wall that it has been recently plastered and painted to sell (unless you've just decorated yourself) - potentially covering a subsiding crack.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid though.
Check the outside directly where that crack is located on the inside.
If the sellers have done this to hide it before a surveyor ^ so it wouldn't be stated on the home report (would be valued less or they'd have to fix it before selling or even a no sell) - if it's a recent sell then I'm sure it's a lawsuit.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 9th Aug
you say you have just moved in. did you buy the house? if so, they surveyor should have flagged that up.
mutley109/08/2020 17:41

you say you have just moved in. did you buy the house? if so, they …you say you have just moved in. did you buy the house? if so, they surveyor should have flagged that up.

The sellers have probably had a floor covering over it and not even realised it was there. OP has removed it.
That's why I reckon they've sneakily plastered the wall and painted to hide a more structural subsiding crack not realising they've left evidence under the carpet or flooring.

(Just assuming)
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 9th Aug
deleted1163056
I would think it's probably just normal movement, almost all concrete cracks eventually. You're doing the best thing getting it checked though.
OP, it seems odd that there are no skirting boards in that room? it looks like a garage floor?
mutley109/08/2020 18:12

OP, it seems odd that there are no skirting boards in that room? it looks …OP, it seems odd that there are no skirting boards in that room? it looks like a garage floor?

They've obviously removed the skirting

The fact the bricks in the wall where it meets the crack in the floor seem to have crumbled is quite worrying and indeed looks like a cover up job
Edited by: "chocci" 9th Aug
deleted1550193
I’ve removed the skirting and had it plastered. Wall is crumbled because it had about 5” nail in which I pulled out. Internal wall wasn’t cracked before I had it plastered
deleted155019309/08/2020 18:43

I’ve removed the skirting and had it plastered. Wall is crumbled because i …I’ve removed the skirting and had it plastered. Wall is crumbled because it had about 5” nail in which I pulled out. Internal wall wasn’t cracked before I had it plastered

well that sounds more encouraging. i am sure if i looked at my concrete garage floor, i would find cracks every where. did you see any cracks on the wall along the same line as the floor before you re-plastered?
deleted1550193
mutley109/08/2020 18:48

well that sounds more encouraging. i am sure if i looked at my concrete …well that sounds more encouraging. i am sure if i looked at my concrete garage floor, i would find cracks every where. did you see any cracks on the wall along the same line as the floor before you re-plastered?

Nope . This is inside the house, in the living/dining room where the extension meets the old house. Slight crack on the external wall of the house but almost hairline
That just happened in our kitchen. The house is over 100 years old. We believe it was due to a water leak in cold weather some years back. We just ripped out the concrete that wasn't attached to the floor & floating & replaced with a mastic concrete substitute. Job done for about £300.

If it was structural you would have a crack up the wall. Check outside & remove a bit of plaster on the inside to double check if you want.
Nowhere near enough info in that one close up pic to be able to diagnose anything.

1. as you've just bought it, you will have had a survey. hopefully a proper survey.
2. everything can be fixed.
3. the wrong cement mic, laid on hot weather, will crack as it dries.
4. any structural alterations (you say an extension) change loads in walls and can cause one time cracks. structural work will be covered by a building notice. if the seller did structural work without a building notice, they will have inaccurately described the house in the sale documents. Presumably your solicitor did a proper job and asked for completion notices. If not, the solicitor has possibly not performed to the correct standard
5. don't worry. everything can be fixed.
6. do the windows and doors stick?
7. are the windows and doors askew/out of true?
what is this company going to do? Just assess and give their opinion if there us movement/subsidence? And/or provide a solution to fix if there is an issue?
Post a comment
@
    Text