Groups

Crackling and popping/bubbling sound coming from underneath the bonnet (driver's side)

I have a Citroen Xsarra Picasso (10 years old) and have been driving it for over a year. Yesterday, I drove to town and parked it up for a couple of hours in an open-air carpark. I then drove about a mile down the road to another carpark. When stopping the car in a parking space, I heard a crackling and popping/bubbling sound coming from underneath the bonnet (driver's side). It was really loud and I've never heard it before (actually thought the car was going to go bang!). I left the car for around 20 minutes, started it back up and the noise began again. As I drove it out of the carpark (drove for around 100 m), the noise stopped and it was fine all of the way home (even stopped off at Argos to pick something up on the way back and no more sound). I've checked the fluid levels and they are all fine. I've been driving cars for over 20 years and this is the first time that I've heard this in a car. Does anybody know what could have caused this sound and is it serious? Thank you.

16 Comments

Sounds serious. You say levels are fine?? Is the battery that side?? Coolant top not on properly, or letting pressure out??

Original Poster

Rich069

Sounds serious. You say levels are fine?? Is the battery that side?? … Sounds serious. You say levels are fine?? Is the battery that side?? Coolant top not on properly, or letting pressure out??

No, the battery is under the front passenger seat. I did top up my coolant on Wednesday and the top seemed to fit ok. However, I might check it again, as my garage had my car in on Thursday for a puncture - they said that they were going to check the other tyres, so maybe they checked the coolant level as well and didn't put the top on correctly.

if you run the engine with the pressure cap off of the coolant bottle are there any sign of bubbles?

Sophiasky

No, the battery is under the front passenger seat. I did top up my … No, the battery is under the front passenger seat. I did top up my coolant on Wednesday and the top seemed to fit ok. However, I might check it again, as my garage had my car in on Thursday for a puncture - they said that they were going to check the other tyres, so maybe they checked the coolant level as well and didn't put the top on correctly.

​lol blame them I can't see why they would check ur coolant if u go in for a tire repair they don't just start checking things for the fun of it. u may have had a air lock and some cars take it out automatically how much did u top up was it a little but or more than 1/2 a litre if it was more did u bleed the system.

I'd look at the exhaust from the manifold back if it were me , but I could be wrong

Edited by: "1854" 15th Jan

Original Poster

I'd look at the exhaust from the manifold back if it were me , but I … I'd look at the exhaust from the manifold back if it were me , but I could be wrong

The noise was (has not happened today) coming from the driver's side - it seemed to be coming from the far right-hand side of the top of the dashboard/under bonnet (area just above where the air vents are).

if your saying near the air vents, then id get it checked out.

The majority of car fires ive been too, have started from these areas where the heater/fans are. The recent fires involving Vauxhalls (mainly zafiras) have nearly all started in these areas.

I doubt your coolant top up is that high up is it?

Sophiasky

The noise was (has not happened today) coming from the driver's side - it … The noise was (has not happened today) coming from the driver's side - it seemed to be coming from the far right-hand side of the top of the dashboard/under bonnet (area just above where the air vents are).

Was that the side where they fixed the tyre, I only ask because I was in a tyre place a few months back and a lady who had just had a tyre fitted came back to the shop after a few minutes because her car was making a loud noise above the tyre they had changed , they put the car back on the ramp and the fitter had put or moved something when fitting the tyre....

Also try registering at the website below and asking the same question there, far more likely to find someone who's encountered this problem before on there than on HUKD:
    citroenpicasso.org.uk/pic…so/

Original Poster

mfactor

Was that the side where they fixed the tyre, I only ask because I was in … Was that the side where they fixed the tyre, I only ask because I was in a tyre place a few months back and a lady who had just had a tyre fitted came back to the shop after a few minutes because her car was making a loud noise above the tyre they had changed , they put the car back on the ramp and the fitter had put or moved something when fitting the tyre....

Sorry, no, it was on the rear passenger side.

Sounds like a gremlin !

Are the front shocks near the dashboard on the Citroen as you may have a worn shock top mount.

Original Poster

markvirgo

Are the front shocks near the dashboard on the Citroen as you may have a … Are the front shocks near the dashboard on the Citroen as you may have a worn shock top mount.

When I had my MOT done, I was told that the front lower suspension arms would need replacing on both sides within a couple of months - do you think that it could be the right one that caused the problem (no longer happening though)? Thank you.

Could be, Sometimes they can.

I would check for uneven front tyre wear as this would show worn suspension.

Original Poster

Sophiasky

When I had my MOT done, I was told that the front lower suspension arms … When I had my MOT done, I was told that the front lower suspension arms would need replacing on both sides within a couple of months - do you think that it could be the right one that caused the problem (no longer happening though)? Thank you.

I was told that if they did go, I would notice it if I drove over speed bumps etc, however, I haven't noticed anything different driving over them.

I would pop it in for a check up to see whats wrong as it is hard to diagnose over the internet.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Your favourite member of the Labour shadow cabinet is .....33
      2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553789
      3. Tower Hill Station - Explosion reported.. (Phone charger??)55
      4. Bearded chat1225

See more discussions