Cracks in my house render

Posted 8th Oct
I am after some advice I have some cracks in my render . could it be just from the render reaching the end of its life. could this failure cause the bricks to crack . any advice please
3306349.jpg
3306349.jpg3306349.jpg3306349.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
That looks more like there has been some movement there. If it’s part of a newly built extension or part of the house then it should be fine to cover it over and then keep an eye on it for any further movement. The cracked bricks will need removing and replacing.
Looks like a structural issue, movement which has caused render to crack, not the other way round. I would get that checked by an expert though
The fact that one of the bricks has cracked is worrying.
op, is there any sign of a crack internally?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Oct
The crack would be worrying if it has appeared suddenly. They look structural at first glance but they are close ups and more shots are needed.

If they have been there a long time, the issue is less about movement and more about protecting the fabric which has now ceased to be water tight. Rain gets in and freezes in winter causing expansion and further problems.

A proper builder can advise, as can a surveyor. You are quite possibly in the realms of needing to claim on your building insurance who will inspect if you open a claim. Be wary though as Excess tends to be £1k-£2k for subsidence. And you will have to declare it when you sell.
deleted1523363
Whatever the white thing is has dropped. If that is an opening that's been blocked up it could just mean that it wasn't supported with a lental. As you can see the is also a gap at the top so all that white side has dropped. If it's resent it could have shrunk even but it needs looking at. I would think the is anything to be too concerned about but at the very least fill it for the winter because if rain gets in a freezes you could have a bigger problem.
ccnp08/10/2019 21:15

The crack would be worrying if it has appeared suddenly. They look …The crack would be worrying if it has appeared suddenly. They look structural at first glance but they are close ups and more shots are needed. If they have been there a long time, the issue is less about movement and more about protecting the fabric which has now ceased to be water tight. Rain gets in and freezes in winter causing expansion and further problems. A proper builder can advise, as can a surveyor. You are quite possibly in the realms of needing to claim on your building insurance who will inspect if you open a claim. Be wary though as Excess tends to be £1k-£2k for subsidence. And you will have to declare it when you sell.

@OP and you’ll struggle to get any insurance again after a subsidence claim.
U will probably find you don’t have any expansion joints in your house so the wall has cracked at the weakest point a good builder should be able to fix it
The crack is due to the 2 different materials expanding and shrinking at different rates. The crack in the bricks is caused by the block and render pulling on them.

Its a bad design.

The best thing to do would be to hack off some of the render, fill the gaps with an expandable filler and rerender with a waterproof coating.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants