Create Invoices That Auto Update Excel Spreadsheet

LocalFound 27th Jul 2012
At present I use a word document with an Excel Workbook and have to manually cut and paste from this to the Excel spreadsheet, but I want to create an invoice template where I need Invoice no (automatically generated if possible), Date, Client, Fee, Mileage, Disbursements and Total and when I complete an invoice this data will automatically update onto a spreadsheet containing all invoices in a list.

Does anybody know if this is possible and how I do it please?

Thanks
Community Updates
12 Comments
my understanding is to create an automatically updateable report you would have to have the raw data information somewhere in excel, in what format would you recieve the invoice information, and how would it be laid out?

there would be various ways to set up a spreadsheet that would pull out or calculate the invoice info when you enter the respective invoice number
lol like it, double entry accounting post

hotukdeals.com/mis…973
Edited by: "Alfonse" 27th Jul 2012
if you have a reference number, the easiest thing to automatically drag out information from raw data is a LOOKUP
Banned
Would it not be better entering the data in excel and then mail merging it to word to create the invoice instead of the other way round?
Original Poster
Thanks people

dimebars, I think you may be right but how I do that I do not know!
I would have your invoice created in Excel first (rather than in word)

You could then have a button that prints the invoice, then copies and pastes any fields that you want from that invoice into a table on a different worksheet.
Sorry, I don't know how you could do it from Word to Excel though.
Banned
Mail merge is pretty simple from memory, but don't ask me how

Im sure google would help you out.
The best way to do it in Excel is to shut it down and open Microsoft Access....
BurntEffigy

I would have your invoice created in Excel first (rather than in word)You … I would have your invoice created in Excel first (rather than in word)You could then have a button that prints the invoice, then copies and pastes any fields that you want from that invoice into a table on a different worksheet.Sorry, I don't know how you could do it from Word to Excel though.

i would do it this way aswell, because it would be the only way id know how
Original Poster
Stubbarama

The best way to do it in Excel is to shut it down and open Microsoft … The best way to do it in Excel is to shut it down and open Microsoft Access....

Thanks, any more info or tips on how please?
Red Devil PJB

Thanks, any more info or tips on how please?

Not being funny but if you are charging people for your services, the least you can do is have someone make a small document set which allows you to do what you need, too many businesses think that cheaping out is the way forward.
Edited by: "aircanman" 1st Aug 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants