Creating a US Playstation Network Account?

Found 18th Jul 2011
Hey people

So I'm considering creating a US Playstation Network Account to get access to their store (considering they get so much better stuff than EU, and it works out cheaper buying in USD)

Pretty sure the best way for me to buy stuff on there would be to buy a $25 US PSN Card and just redeem the code etc that way I don't need an american credit card LOL

But I was wondering has anyone done this? Especially with success?
Also, is it legal to do this? I don't want to end up getting my original UK account banned! Or better yet, court papers from Sony!

I was going to use this advice to sign up for one:
forum.gameanyone.com/ind…rev

So does anyone have any tips or advice? Or if I'm wrong about anything, please correct me!
Thanks for any replies, so lost and confused on this aha
Community Updates
62 Comments
i used to do it no problems mastercard cc used to work fine

if you need a zip code 90210
I have had one for four or five years to play Demon's Souls. Everyone i knew who played that game done so with a US account and there has never been any repercussions.

I don't really by from the store often, but the time I do use the store I bought a PSN card from ebay and everything went fine.
Thank you both for this!
I only have visa debit cards though aha so will be sticking with US PSN cards

But it's definitely legal to do this? I wont end up with a banned account or console? oO
I just don't see it as something sony will crack down on. You are still paying for the goods.
dungavel

I just don't see it as something sony will crack down on. You are still … I just don't see it as something sony will crack down on. You are still paying for the goods.

Yeah that's the way I reasoned it in my mind, plus at the end of the day for all they know my American friend came over and visited me and used his account on my console....

I just really can't afford to get my console banned, and don't want any repercussions on my main account as I'm quite a high level, PS+ subscriber and with money in my wallet...

Gah, I really want access to their store though! Lol
I have 2 accounts on the same PS3, one for the European and one for US (using 90210 zip code lol). Never have a problem with either
cegs007

I have 2 accounts on the same PS3, one for the European and one for US … I have 2 accounts on the same PS3, one for the European and one for US (using 90210 zip code lol). Never have a problem with either

Sounds promising how long have you had the US account?
And I find it incredibly funny the main addresses that get used are the 90210 zip code or Microsoft HQ X)
I have a US PSN account but I've never purchased anything, but it was sure nice to get the "Welcome back" freebies.
If you are intending to purchase stuff then it might be better to use an address in a state which doesn't have sales tax such as New Hampshire.
Andy@XCite

I have a US PSN account but I've never purchased anything, but it was … I have a US PSN account but I've never purchased anything, but it was sure nice to get the "Welcome back" freebies.If you are intending to purchase stuff then it might be better to use an address in a state which doesn't have sales tax such as New Hampshire.

Thanks for this

I'm sure I'm going to sound pretty thick here, but what do you mean by sales tax? An added charge onto things bought from their PSN store?
Sales tax is like VAT. Some states have rates such as 10% so if you buy something in that state you pay another 10%.
I'm sure, although I don't know for sure (as I haven't purchased anything from US PSN), that you will pay this if you say that you "live" in a state which has a sales tax.

So if you buy something for $10 and your declared state has a sales tax of 10% then you will pay $11.

New Hampshire has a 0% sales tax.
SamRawr

Thanks for this :)I'm sure I'm going to sound pretty thick here, but what … Thanks for this :)I'm sure I'm going to sound pretty thick here, but what do you mean by sales tax? An added charge onto things bought from their PSN store?

sales tax is like their version of vat can be quite different from state to state
if you use psn card it makes no difference

but if buying in usa it needs to be added at end of sale which is one of the reasons why things can look so much cheaper over their as prices have to have sales tax added

Andy@XCite

Sales tax is like VAT. Some states have rates such as 10% so if you buy … Sales tax is like VAT. Some states have rates such as 10% so if you buy something in that state you pay another 10%.I'm sure, although I don't know for sure (as I haven't purchased anything from US PSN), that you will pay this if you say that you "live" in a state which has a sales tax.So if you buy something for $10 and your declared state has a sales tax of 10% then you will pay $11.New Hampshire has a 0% sales tax.

Ooh I see, thank you very much for this
Will definitely be looking up a New Hampshire address then aha
Out of curiosity though, that charge would be upfront when buying from the store yes? As I'd be using a PSN card for monies so they can't really charge a credit card as there wouldn't be one, unless they just debit your wallet later on...
Sorry for hassling you btw! Aha
mini0ne

sales tax is like their version of vat can be quite different from state … sales tax is like their version of vat can be quite different from state to state if you use psn card it makes no difference but if buying in usa it needs to be added at end of sale which is one of the reasons why things can look so much cheaper over their as prices have to have sales tax added

Ah makes sense
But if I had the New Hampshire address, they don't add the sales tax at all? Even with the PSN card?
This is all starting to sound quite fraudulent now oO
As I say I haven't purchased anything from US PSN so I don't know exactly when a sales tax is applied, ie whether if you make a purchase from a CC or a prepaid PSN card.
It does make sense that it wouldn't be applied if using a PSN card but to be on the safe side you might as well use a New Hampshire address.

EDIT: Apologies I meant I don't know when it is applied.
Edited by: "Andy@XCite" 18th Jul 2011
I also had a US a/c and got all the freebies.
Andy@XCite

As I say I haven't purchased anything from US PSN so I know exactly when … As I say I haven't purchased anything from US PSN so I know exactly when a sales tax is applied, ie whether if you make a purchase from a CC or a prepaid PSN card.It does make sense that it wouldn't be applied if using a PSN card but to be on the safe side you might as well use a New Hampshire address.

Thank you for your help if I go through with it, I will do so just in case
dungavel

I just don't see it as something sony will crack down on. You are still … I just don't see it as something sony will crack down on. You are still paying for the goods.

SamRawr

So I'm considering creating a US Playstation Network Account to get … So I'm considering creating a US Playstation Network Account to get access to their store (considering they get so much better stuff than EU, and it works out cheaper buying in USD)

If you do not help generate revenue for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe by purchasing from the European PlayStation Store the availability of content is not going to get better (or comparable to the North American Store).

A few words of warning too: Not all downloadable content on the North American Store is compatible with the European Blu-ray Disc/Downloadable titles, & vice versa.

That is, if you have a UK-supplied Blu-ray Disc-based game, not all downloadable content from overseas will be compatible.

BFN,

fp.
dungavel

SamRawr

So I'm considering creating a US Playstation Network Account to get … So I'm considering creating a US Playstation Network Account to get access to their store (considering they get so much better stuff than EU, and it works out cheaper buying in USD)

Hey! I'm a PS+ subscriber and I do buy frequently from the store, so I'm helping them there don't worry

It's just annoying when US get games like Spyro and for some unknown reason we don't?!
Don't get me wrong, if something is available on both UK and US stores, I would buy from the UK store every time, it's just the US exclusives I'd like to get my hands on

But thank you, I hadn't considered the possible region locking, I always presumed the PS3 was region unlocked in every way
This list is far from exhaustive, as I do not buy from any 'Store other than Europe, but I do know that the annual "Call of Duty" release, & some Ubisoft titles ("Prince of Persia", being one) are, for example, "locked" in this way.

I have also found issues with trying to use content from different regions with "Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic".

One of the few previous comments I have posted on US/European Store differences:

[ hotukdeals.com/dea…171 ]

BFN,

fp.
Thanks for this fanpages

In all fairness, the only titles on the US store that I would really be interested in buying are mainly PS1 titles, as looking through their store on the internet now they have so many good ones

Plus like I said, if it's on the UK store already or soon to be, I would buy there without a doubt. It is purely the US exclusives I would really like to get.

Although I must admit, the thought of Sony attacking me for it or the games being region locked is quite daunting...

I've had a us account since about 2 weeks after i bought my ps3 at launch, i then also made a japanese account and both are still going and ive been able to purchase just fine from the us account.
SamRawr

Thanks for this fanpages :)In all fairness, the only titles on the US … Thanks for this fanpages :)In all fairness, the only titles on the US store that I would really be interested in buying are mainly PS1 titles, as looking through their store on the internet now they have so many good ones :(Plus like I said, if it's on the UK store already or soon to be, I would buy there without a doubt. It is purely the US exclusives I would really like to get.Although I must admit, the thought of Sony attacking me for it or the games being region locked is quite daunting...

According to wikipedia, the US store's PS1 titles aren't region locked
Still a gamble though...
Peterdj41

I've had a us account since about 2 weeks after i bought my ps3 at … I've had a us account since about 2 weeks after i bought my ps3 at launch, i then also made a japanese account and both are still going and ive been able to purchase just fine from the us account.

Thank you for this!
No problems whatsoever then? No threats from Sony? Any sales tax?
And I'm guessing you use the US PSN cards for credit
Also, have you had any problems with certain games being region locked?
Thanks again

Why not buy the original (PAL region format) PlayStation titles on CD-ROM instead & play these directly in your PS3's Blu-ray Disc drive?

It must be cheaper than paying £7.99 from the European Store, or the equivalent US price.

...or are the "PS1" titles you are interested in US (or Japanese) only titles?

BFN,

fp.
SamRawr

According to wikipedia, the US store's PS1 titles aren't region locked … According to wikipedia, the US store's PS1 titles aren't region locked :)Still a gamble though...

the only thing i know to be region locked is the dlc for disc games bought and also in some cases the multiplayer is region locked on some games too.

I had rockband when it first came out in the us and bought alot of content from the store, i then bought rockband 2 uk copy and wasnt able to use the content in my game, same with a few other games ive bought from the us.

but as far as i know unless someone else can tell me otherwise, the actual games themselves arent region locked
fanpages

:)Why not buy the original PlayStation titles on CD-ROM instead & play … :)Why not buy the original PlayStation titles on CD-ROM instead & play these directly in your PS3's Blu-ray Disc drive?It must be cheaper than paying £7.99 from the European Store, or the equivalent US price....or are the "PS1" titles you are interested in US (or Japanese) only titles?BFN,fp.

I'm not sure whether any of them are US/JP only titles, but most of the ones I'm interested in are the type of PS1 games that are "rare" nowadays and sell for absurd amounts of money on eBay and other such places making the £3.99 / £7.99 price tags much more appealing!

Plus I kinda like having a digital copy too aha
Peterdj41

the only thing i know to be region locked is the dlc for disc games … the only thing i know to be region locked is the dlc for disc games bought and also in some cases the multiplayer is region locked on some games too.I had rockband when it first came out in the us and bought alot of content from the store, i then bought rockband 2 uk copy and wasnt able to use the content in my game, same with a few other games ive bought from the us.but as far as i know unless someone else can tell me otherwise, the actual games themselves arent region locked

Thanks for this Peter many websites I'm looking at also agree with this
I've still got ps+ on my us account from the welcome back package so i'll download medievil ps1 game now for free and let you know if i encounter any problems playing it on my ps3.
Peterdj41

I've still got ps+ on my us account from the welcome back package so i'll … I've still got ps+ on my us account from the welcome back package so i'll download medievil ps1 game now for free and let you know if i encounter any problems playing it on my ps3.

Aww thank you! Very kind of you
SamRawr

Aww thank you! Very kind of you

No worries mate! plays fine on my ps3.
Peterdj41

No worries mate! plays fine on my ps3.

Cheers Peter!
We must all be neighbours. I live in 90210 too.
dunfyboy

We must all be neighbours. I live in 90210 too.

And me.

See you all by the pool in 10 for a beer.
I had 3 uk accounts 1 usa account and 1 jap account on my ps3, so downloaded all the free stuff, did not need usa account free stuff, just used my other uk accounts to get all 5 free games, and 5 free psp games.
Lmao oh you guys :')

I think I will do it, there seems to be so many people doing it, Sony don't seem to care, in fact it probably helps them out a bit!

I was just really worried my console or somehow my main account would get banned... But I guess at the end of the day, Sony can't prove whether it's a fake or a genuine American person on that account, but in the UK at that time...
SamRawr

...Sony can't prove whether it's a fake or a genuine American person on … ...Sony can't prove whether it's a fake or a genuine American person on that account, but in the UK at that time...

No, but they can tell whether you are connecting to a US server from Europe or from the US, &/or which regional PS3 console you are using to do that.

BFN,

fp.
Peterdj41

...but as far as i know unless someone else can tell me otherwise, the … ...but as far as i know unless someone else can tell me otherwise, the actual games themselves arent region locked

Some licensing deals with US Sports titles (baseball, & possibly basketball, for instance) will be restricted to (North) American consoles.

Also buying an online multiplayer title from one region may restrict you to accessing the server dedicated to the originating territory resulting in network "lag" during game-play.

Be careful buying from Asia as not all titles have English menus &/or English dialogue/subtitles.

One UK-supplied title that is not completely compatible with consoles from outside Europe is the Steelbook/Collector's Edition of "[007] Quantum of Solace" Blu-ray Disc. The game is playable outside of PAL format territories, but the additional video content on the disc is region-locked.

Past comments:
[ hotukdeals.com/dea…171 ]

BFN,

fp.
according to my US account I live in Vegas!
SamRawr

Sounds promising how long have you had the US account?And I find it … Sounds promising how long have you had the US account?And I find it incredibly funny the main addresses that get used are the 90210 zip code or Microsoft HQ X)

Had both my accounts a couple weeks after launch. I've always used PSN vouchers as they tend to be cheaper as you've probably seen them on HUKD every now and then.

In case your not aware, you can sign into 5 playstations - so you can log into a mates PS3, if you've paid for e.g. the cod map packs he can then download them onto his PS3 using your account, switch back to his account and use the map packs (you can bothe use them at the same time). Be aware though that you can only log into 5 PS3 and if you're PS3 happens to break and your unable to deactivate your account on the PS3 that counts as 1 of the 5.
cegs007

Had both my accounts a couple weeks after launch. I've always used PSN … Had both my accounts a couple weeks after launch. I've always used PSN vouchers as they tend to be cheaper as you've probably seen them on HUKD every now and then.In case your not aware, you can sign into 5 playstations - so you can log into a mates PS3, if you've paid for e.g. the cod map packs he can then download them onto his PS3 using your account, switch back to his account and use the map packs (you can bothe use them at the same time).

Re: "Game Sharing"

[ hotukdeals.com/dea…027 ]

cegs007

Be aware though that you can only log into 5 PS3 and if you're PS3 … Be aware though that you can only log into 5 PS3 and if you're PS3 happens to break and your unable to deactivate your account on the PS3 that counts as 1 of the 5.

You can deactivate by other means though.

BFN,

fp.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants