Credit Card or Finance which is better protected?

Found 3rd Jun
I'm about to buy a mattress for about £550.

I've just had a nightmare buying one before as the company went bump and I'd paid on a debit card. I've now had the money back through the Visa Chargeback Scheme, but it was recommended that I use a Credit Card for the Section 75 protection.

I've now got a credit card in place for purchases like these.

However the mattress that I've now chosen offers 0% finance through a company called "Divide Buy" - so I can pay about £45/month for the next 12 months instead.

Does credit like this still offer section 75 protection?

The mattress comes with a 100 day trial where I can send it back if I don't like it. If the company goes bump during those 100 days would I be covered by either credit card or the finance?

The mattress comes with a 10 year guarantee, again if I had a fault say 5 years later, would I be covered by either if the company no longer existed?

The mattress is an OTTY one if it makes any difference.

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Ignore the 10 year warranty as on the majority of mattresses it’s not worth the paper it’s written on. Credit card does offer the protection you want, finance can but suspect it will be easier dealing with the credit card company.
I was thinking along those lines, just tempted by the finance to spread the cost out a bit.
If there are no additional parties outside of debtor-creditor-supplier, "Divide Buy" is not also the supplier, the £550 price is for a single item: then S75 should apply to the finance. Maybe cover all bases and ask for confirmation in writing. Also obtain written terms of the 10 year guarantee, including who may be responsible for paying for any fault inspection / packing / collection / return etc.
There is no obligation to ever contact the supplier again if purchased using credit - just file any S75 claim directly with the credit provider that is jointly and severally liable.
legislation.gov.uk/ukp…/75
Section 75 is worth it. I paid for a holiday using my halifax CC. Travel agent advertised it as a 5* accommodation, when we got their, barely 2*. Took pics as evidence and when we got back, raised section 75, halifax did all the investigation and agreed, got hotel accommodation refunded. Not sure if it would cover finance agreement though
section 75 will cover finance if you use your CC to pay small amount towards the product (worth over £100).
So for instance you could pay the deposit on the CC and reminder on finance and you will be covered

personally I would go to IKEA and check their mattresses. they will cost 1/3 of the price and last good 5 years. so even buying another one you still saved a third
Edited by: "mattsk" 4th Jun
mattsk8 h, 1 m ago

section 75 will cover finance if you use your CC to pay small amount …section 75 will cover finance if you use your CC to pay small amount towards the product (worth over £100).So for instance you could pay the deposit on the CC and reminder on finance and you will be coveredpersonally I would go to IKEA and check their mattresses. they will cost 1/3 of the price and last good 5 years. so even buying another one you still saved a third

S75 should cover both the finance option and credit card option indicated by OP, so not clear why there should be a benefit to attempt a mix, especially where the creditor-supplier arrangement may exclusively apply to only 100% of debtor purchase cost.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions