Groups

Credit Card Question

If you're 18, but a student or something, and you don't have a regular income, is there any way you can get a credit card? Any bank that'll give you one?

13 Comments

Yes, many banks offer a student credit card. I got one with Barclays when I was a student.

I loads of fun with my Barclays student credit card.

Those were the days

Original Poster

Thanks for that. Can you get it before you're at university?

cackhandedchimp;4325739

Thanks for that. Can you get it before you're at university?

As long as you can prove that you are a student in full time education then they should be fine with it. I had to show some documents to them just so they could copy them for their records, just to proove I was actually a student. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Just checking now, I think you need to open up a student current account in order to apply for the credit card. I heard Halifax were good...any thoughts on who's best?

cackhandedchimp;4325803

Just checking now, I think you need to open up a student current account … Just checking now, I think you need to open up a student current account in order to apply for the credit card. I heard Halifax were good...any thoughts on who's best?

No idea, its been many years since I was a student..lol sorry.:)

cackhandedchimp;4325803

Just checking now, I think you need to open up a student current account … Just checking now, I think you need to open up a student current account in order to apply for the credit card. I heard Halifax were good...any thoughts on who's best?

Lots of folk at my uni went with RBS but I thought Lloyds Tsb were loads better!! They've been my bank for 11 years now. That was like 3 yrs ago when everyone was changin to student accounts. And look at RBS now.... ;-)

Don't! If you can manage without one then you should. If you're not completely disciplined you can end up in trouble. Really. Try and avoid if you can.:thumbsup:

avoid halifax/hbos at all costs they are terrible, try nationwide or the co-op

Deadly mistake. I hate paying my credit card bills :x

It's too tempting to only make minimum payments and you'll just slowly build a massive debt.

Credit cards are great tools if you use them properly, mainly paying total spending each month. They have a far superior insurance facility compared to debit cards or cheques, and if you get one with a cash back plan or other such benefit, you will receive a slight (1-5% depending on the issuer) payment on total.

Most banks should offer a student account - I have one, and they gave me a credit card even though I didn't want it lol...

Started using it recently though since a trip to New York, wanted to have it as security. Now I use it quite frequently, since it is more secure to use than a debit card (For online transactions etc). As long as you pay off your bills in time (I transfer the money in as soon as it gets debited) You'll be fine - Use it much like a debit card - Only spend what you can afford!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Gaming Monitor33
      2. Any better deals after year's Sky subscription is nearly up?11
      3. Car park fine UKPC55
      4. debenhams lancome order11

See more discussions