Credit card question... Can I add my funds to boost my initial balance?

Found 6th Sep 2017
so I got an m&s card recently that gives you 25 months on purchases at 0% but they only gave me 1k limit, I'm after a nice laptop but they seem to be always creeping over the 1k mark... around 1200.

What is my way around this? Can I add £200 from my current account to my credit card which I have never used before to make it £1,200? and still keep my 0% offer?

Or can I pay the £1200 via the credit card then top up the £200 straight away? I just don't want to lose or risk the 0% offer.

Thank you if you took your time out to answer.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I believe you can.
It depends on the card, some do let you transfer cash to get a positive balance but others don't, not sure about M&S. I'd just try and see if it let's you.

Paying £1200 and then transferring £200 after would almost certainly result in a charge for going over your limit.
If you are purchasing instore the simplest option would be to ask them to debit the first £1000 from your credit card and pay the remainder on your debit card, most retailers can split the purchase over two cards.

If you try to spend £1200 on a first purchase without paying in extra funds first the transaction will be declined , or if accepted charged for . You could phone m&s and see if they are one of the credit cards that allows extra funds to be paid in, for example I know you can with barclaycard and definately can't with Amex. I wouldn't do it without calling them as the terms and conditions may mean this would risk your 0%.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 6th Sep 2017
Thank you for your feedback everyone I'll call them now and ask. And unfortunately it's not in store I'm trying to pick up a bargain online
tinkerbellian38 m ago

If you are purchasing instore the simplest option would be to ask them to …If you are purchasing instore the simplest option would be to ask them to debit the first £1000 from your credit card and pay the remainder on your debit card, most retailers can split the purchase over two cards.If you try to spend £1200 on a first purchase without paying in extra funds first the transaction will be declined , or if accepted charged for . You could phone m&s and see if they are one of the credit cards that allows extra funds to be paid in, for example I know you can with barclaycard and definately can't with Amex. I wouldn't do it without calling them as the terms and conditions may mean this would risk your 0%.

spoo40 m ago

It depends on the card, some do let you transfer cash to get a positive …It depends on the card, some do let you transfer cash to get a positive balance but others don't, not sure about M&S. I'd just try and see if it let's you.Paying £1200 and then transferring £200 after would almost certainly result in a charge for going over your limit.

hairray40 m ago

I believe you can.

UPDATE:

So they said I can go ahead and spend the extra few hundred. The only way I can lose my 0% is if I don't pay after the next bill is generated.

So If I buy it now, my bill will be generated on 16th september and I got until the next billing (OCT) to pay.

I'm quite happy with that, means I'll just transfer the money over after I made the purchase

Thanks all for your help! I guess its a lesson, as every company is different - just to call and make sure.
Could of asked for a £1500 limit.
MIDURIX1 m ago

aha I went for that first but they can't - I need to be a 'good' customer first for 6 months and actually use the CC before they think about raising the limit.
MIDURIX14 h, 6 m ago

Could have

Hth
chocci58 m ago

Could haveHth

No. Could of. Look it up, you can use of as an auxiliary verb.
MIDURIX6 m ago

No. Could of. Look it up, you can use of as an auxiliary verb.

i did.

you are wrong.

Oxford Dictionary
adamspencer9516 m ago

i did.you are wrong.Oxford Dictionary

"usually considered unacceptable"
Also its perfectly reasonable to write like you talk sometimes, tis only hotukdeals and not work.
MIDURIX9 m ago

"usually considered unacceptable"Also its perfectly reasonable to write …"usually considered unacceptable"Also its perfectly reasonable to write like you talk sometimes, tis only hotukdeals and not work.

then why are you trying to justify that your grammar is correct? you could have just said that ^
adamspencer9536 m ago

then why are you trying to justify that your grammar is correct? you could …then why are you trying to justify that your grammar is correct? you could have just said that ^

I thought I had read somewhere it was mildly acceptable. Usually considered unacceptable kind of proves my point. If it wasn't acceptable at all it would state that. If English was my first or second language I would be deeply upset.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants