Groups

credit cards

Never having had a credit card, I decided I want to apply for one. Im a student (final year) but want the protection credit cards offer especially as some idiots stole some money from my debit card a while ago. I dont have any debts, so dont need balance transfers. Wont use it an awful lot. Does anyone know do you have to pay to have a credit card? What happens if I dont use it? I prob sound dumb but never had a credit card before! Thanks

12 Comments

It might be hard for you to obtain a credit card just now, depends how your credit rating is, would need to be very good right now.

Most cards don't charge for you to have thier cards, but some might so please check this out! I think if you don't really use it after so long it will be closed down. Maybe best phoning and speaking to your bank and seeing if they can do a card for you ?

Hope this helps a little

Also I think searching moneysupermarket.com and comparing credit cards could be a good idea

Tbh its worth having 1, just even its there for when you order stuff on the net, make large purchase etc. Its free to get one and it doesnt really matter if you dont use it, if possible I would go for a card that gives you cashback when you spend on it(just make sure you pay the balance each month), try the shell citi card or american express as both offer decent cashback rate

Original Poster

Thanks munnski...my bank always offerring me a credit card (as I graduate soon, they want to keep me). Maybe I will speak to them

Original Poster

Thanks treble

I am a student and they are a pain in the **** mate.

Avoid getting them if at all possible!

Hi, no you do not need to pay to use a credit card although some may ask if yo want to take insurance or card protection which they will charge you for. If you dont use the cardit its not a problem bu if you do then try and pay it off quick as possible. At the very least always make sure you pay the minimum payment every month otherwise they will hammer you with intrest.

Original Poster

gazgits;4399744

Hi, no you do not need to pay to use a credit card although some may ask … Hi, no you do not need to pay to use a credit card although some may ask if yo want to take insurance or card protection which they will charge you for. If you dont use the cardit its not a problem bu if you do then try and pay it off quick as possible. At the very least always make sure you pay the minimum payment every month otherwise they will hammer you with intrest.

Thanks! If I get one and use it, will pay it off straight away. Dont want it for the credit element, just want to have some protection especially now in these uncertain times

yeah stuff the minimum payment - paying it off in full each month is the only sensible way to use a credit card.

something like the egg money card might suit you, it's 1% cashback for life & pays you interest when your in credit so you can load the card up and earn interest on it then buy something when the money is on there.

I'm with hsbc for banking in general but have used egg credit cards for years.

worto.

edit- if your not about to buy something big then promotional stuff like 0% on purchases for 12 months or a higher cashback for 3 months will be useless to you so don't get tempted by them - get one that will suit you longer term.

bargainhunter2009;4399659

Thanks munnski...my bank always offerring me a credit card (as I graduate … Thanks munnski...my bank always offerring me a credit card (as I graduate soon, they want to keep me). Maybe I will speak to them

Don't go with your banks, you are a CC companies dream so shop around as others have said and use MSE to find a good one. Set up a dd immediately to pay off the balance each month saves you forgetting.

and use the cashback sites as well to see if you can get anything else out of 'em!

Do a bit research on the net regarding Credit cards and there interest charges . Barclay's charge about 19% and most others are about 15% .I got a CC from Northern Rock , issued by the Co-Op , [the card has now reverted back to the Co-Op ] but the interest charges were only 11% ...............BUT ..............there is a £2.00 card fee every month wether I use the card or not .Still a good deal .
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. WONGA REFUNDS DUE186925
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764429
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?25100
      4. Any PS4 News Here29213629

See more discussions