Credit check in Three SIM only deal blocked attempt to get cashback - has this happened to you?

Posted 23rd Nov
Using my work scheme cashback club (very reliable and no conditions to prevent you signing up a family member) I used referral link to begin an application for a £9/month 8GB Three deal for my son. It was the day of that deals expiry. Three took a lot of details including bank info for Direct Debit. Then the website stated he need to call a number the next day for a simple credit check to complete the process.

So the next day he called, gave details and was told he'd been approved. He asked them what would happen next, when would his SIM be sent, they said they had no connection with the SIM delivery process and couldn't say.

Days passed, no emails or SIM, nothing. Son called to check and eventually received a call from a fast talking guy with a strong Asian accent who said he'd process the deal over the phone and wanted all bank and other details as already supplied online again. I was suspicious we'd lose the cashback this way, that the guy was just ensuring his commission. Asked why the online application hadn't simply gone through by now. The guy couldn't offer an explanation (but could seem to see the online application) so son declined that offer.

Son has perfect credit record, name is on electoral register (I as householder filled that form) but has not returned his own voting form.

Son is so fed up with the difficult phone CS from Three that he now doesn't want to call them anymore. So he's still without a SIM contract.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this encounter with Three and what's the solution if you want cashback?
Community Updates

Groups

8 Comments
What does the CS rep's accent have to do with anything?

Cashback is never guaranteed anyway, so just chalk this up as a loss.

I can't imagine the cashback on an £8 per month contract would've been that much anyway!
adam_holcombe23/11/2019 09:44

...I can't imagine the cashback on an £8 per month contract would've been …...I can't imagine the cashback on an £8 per month contract would've been that much anyway!

Cashback on a standard 3 £8/m 12m SIMO is a notable 41% of the total contract cost.
AndyRoyd23/11/2019 11:29

Cashback on a standard 3 £8/m 12m SIMO is a notable 41% of the total …Cashback on a standard 3 £8/m 12m SIMO is a notable 41% of the total contract cost.

What, from their employer's discount club? Didn't realise you worked with OP...
adam_holcombe23/11/2019 11:30

What, from their employer's discount club? Didn't realise you worked with …What, from their employer's discount club? Didn't realise you worked with OP...

Re-read the fourth word of the post that you quoted.
AndyRoyd23/11/2019 11:34

Re-read the fourth word of the post that you quoted.

Yep, so your post was, as usual, irrelevant to the question on hand.
adam_holcombe23/11/2019 11:36

Yep, so your post was, as usual, irrelevant to the question on hand.

The post indicated that 3 offers notable cashback on its £8/m SIMO contracts.
I read somewhere 3 are notorious for not paying cashback through the likes of Quidco.
This week I discovered it was indeed true after taking out a contract and ensuring beforehand all the usual things like clearing history cookies and clicking through Quidco was done 3 still refused my cashback saying the referral was through another source which I know was a damn lie!!
It's the first time this has ever happened to me through any retailer on Quidco after putting through a missing cashback claim.
AndyRoyd23/11/2019 11:29

Cashback on a standard 3 £8/m 12m SIMO is a notable 41% of the total …Cashback on a standard 3 £8/m 12m SIMO is a notable 41% of the total contract cost.

Correct the cashback is £40ish on a 1 year signup. As @Porsch911 says Three is tricky with cashback- they want the marketing but not be upfront paying out.

This year I used Quidco or one family member and TCB for myself with similar cashbacks on Three. Quidco was easy but TCB painful to get them to track it. So when I saw my ultra-reliable company scheme offering Three, went for it. But it was not to be... yet.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 23rd Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants