Groups

Credit payment failed (CDiscount)

Just got a email through from CDiscount [email protected]cdiscount.co.uk telling me they had trouble taking one of my 3pay payments for my NC10 and to ring them or reply to resolve the problem.

Now forgive me, but I'm very cycnical when I get asked for financial details over email. Am I within my rights to request they send a hard copy (letter) to my registered address which they should have on file?

I'm just not happy as I have plenty of funds and no bank account changes recently.

17 Comments

Banned

You are so right to be wary. Do not give out any details in an email.

They should send a hard copy to you. I would forward the copy of the email to the customer services department or security department at CDiscount so that they can investigate it.

Best of luck.

Banned

Yeah i would confirm it with customer services, might justt be a mistake.

Banned

DarkFissure;4429665

Yeah i would confirm it with customer services, might justt be a mistake.

Probably a phishing email scam. Best let CDiscount know so they can sort it.

:thumbsup:

or just ring them like the email has asked you to? not really sure i understand what the problem is.

Banned

longster;4429738

or just ring them like the email has asked you to? not really sure i … or just ring them like the email has asked you to? not really sure i understand what the problem is.

The problem is that the email could have been sent by anyone trying to obtain information regarding the bank account. Telephoning the number on the email is not a good idea if the email is bogus.

Forward the email to CDiscount and if it is genuine they will come back to you but do not use any of the links provide in the email that they have sent you.

Be cautious, be very very cautious.

:thumbsup:

I wasnt recommending phoning the number on the email, but phoning the company from whom the item was purchased. Surely would be easy to spot if it was a different number?

Banned

Customer Service Number for CDiscount
    08444 990099

Online Enquiry
    customers.cdiscount.co.uk/Sim…spx

(but dont send any credit/debit card details on there)

Is that the same phone number as the one supplied? The one supplied in the email might be direct but ring that phone number and ask.

your speaking tosh. I got this email too for genuine reasons (lost my bank card and changed the number). Where is it asking you for bank details by email. Have you had missed calls from them? Did you supply a correct phone number. They will have tried to call first

bazzaric;4429933

your speaking tosh. I got this email too for genuine reasons (lost my … your speaking tosh. I got this email too for genuine reasons (lost my bank card and changed the number). Where is it asking you for bank details by email. Have you had missed calls from them? Did you supply a correct phone number. They will have tried to call first

Glad I'm not the only one that thought it was a bit odd....

Banned

longster;4429958

Glad I'm not the only one that thought it was a bit odd....

Nothing odd about being cautious. I deal with lots of phishing emails in my job and some of them are so clever, really difficult to spot and it just takes one to be lucky. It's so easy to spot if you get one from a bank or company that you have never had any dealings with and they are requesting info. However, get one from your bank or what appears to be your bank - that's a different matter.

You would be amazed at the extent of this problem. Never ever be complacent - that is what the phishers love.

;-)

tuppence;4430124

Nothing odd about being cautious. I deal with lots of phishing emails in … Nothing odd about being cautious. I deal with lots of phishing emails in my job and some of them are so clever, really difficult to spot and it just takes one to be lucky. It's so easy to spot if you get one from a bank or company that you have never had any dealings with and they are requesting info. However, get one from your bank or what appears to be your bank - that's a different matter.You would be amazed at the extent of this problem. Never ever be complacent - that is what the phishers love.;-)

I know fine well the extent of the problem, and I know not to be complacent. However if I received an email like the OP says asking to call due to a problem with my credit payment I would ring the company in question using the numbers I already had. Guess I'm not used to how daft some people are.

We would like to assure our customers that cdiscount.co.uk would never request any personal/credit information through email contact. The telephone number included on the email is a direct contact with our finance team who have requested affected customers to call them due to repeated attempts to contact the customer have failed.

We would ask that anyone who is still concerned with regards to this email to contact our Customer Support team on 08444 990099 for further verification and also to answer any questions you may have with regards to our policy.

Have a good day

cdiscount.co.uk

Well i had the same email yesterday and i called CDiscount. The guy there assured me of the legitity of the email. Also the email does nto ask any Bank account details (mean Account no., visa or somthing) but

Please could you reply to this email confirming the following information:

The name of the bank your card is registered to.
    The address the card/bank statement is registered to.
    If there are other people living at the address.
    How long you have lived at the address

This doesnt sound so bad. Can someone go to my bank with this details and without any other sort of information or personal identification like ID or passport obtain any info on my account?

I am not from UK and don't know how exactly banks work here..

Anyone replied to the meail?

The guy at Cdiscount said to me the order will not be processed until 3rdman validates these info..

What have you done in this case?

Banned

ftored;4663877

Well i had the same email yesterday and i called CDiscount. The guy there … Well i had the same email yesterday and i called CDiscount. The guy there assured me of the legitity of the email. Also the email does nto ask any Bank account details (mean Account no., visa or somthing) but Please could you reply to this email confirming the following information:The name of the bank your card is registered to.The address the card/bank statement is registered to.If there are other people living at the address.How long you have lived at the addressThis doesnt sound so bad. Can someone go to my bank with this details and without any other sort of information or personal identification like ID or passport obtain any info on my account?I am not from UK and don't know how exactly banks work here..Anyone replied to the meail? The guy at Cdiscount said to me the order will not be processed until 3rdman validates these info..What have you done in this case?

I I wouldn't send the info they request via email. But its up to you!

I had this but they rang us up and asked why the payment failed, it shouldnt of as we had well over double the repayment money back.
    Luckily turned out they didnt have to take that payment anyway as i returned the product due to it becoming faulty but expecting it with next payment again.

Well i was not thinking of sending the details. I was on on 3rdman.co.uk reading stuff about them. Havent really understanded what they actually do. What i can say its that, i go tthis email due to the fact i ordered something on sunday night. On monday i called and cancell it and then reorder it again. The same thing again as they had a discount on monday. Also on monday i used my UK credit card and not my Cyprus one.

So it looks like it thinks i am a fraudster buying 2 laptops 1 day after each other. On my bank statement the amount of money i paid are shown but the name of who will take the money is not shown. I believe its because they are in the middle of the transaction? I mean Cdiscount are wating the money from the 3rdman or something?

I called twice CDiscount ad asked about this 3rdman. they advised me to give the details by replying to the email but i didn't. Today the money were returned to my account and i bought it from elsewhere for 3 pounds more:p

If this happens just call them and cancel the order.. Wish they were a bit more into communicaiton and order status updates, as you really dont get any email confirming yo cancel it or something.:$
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11
      2. Win a Mazona Olympus 8kW multi-fuel stove @ Gr8 Fires33
      3. Jazz apple slicer for the price of a stamp33
      4. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains55

See more discussions