Crime does not pay, or does it?

Found 26th Aug 2017
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
The judge is making a mockery of justice in this country. He should be sacked immediately.
Edited by: "shadey12" 26th Aug 2017
56 Comments
The judge is making a mockery of justice in this country. He should be sacked immediately.
Edited by: "shadey12" 26th Aug 2017
Whilst it is ridiculous to suspend the curfew so he can go to a festival it is also ridiculous that swearing at a cop was worthy of taking someone to court. Don't the police and courts have better things to be doing?

Also:

"Magistrates handed Thawer a community order, £85 costs and a two month curfew from 7am until 7pm."

Does that mean he can go out after 7pm?
Just give delinquent kids what they demand to encourage them to behave as better citizens and become role models for their children.

Satan_Claws1 h, 5 m ago

Whilst it is ridiculous to suspend the curfew so he can go to a festival …Whilst it is ridiculous to suspend the curfew so he can go to a festival it is also ridiculous that swearing at a cop was worthy of taking someone to court. Don't the police and courts have better things to be doing?Also:"Magistrates handed Thawer a community order, £85 costs and a two month curfew from 7am until 7pm."Does that mean he can go out after 7pm?

Yep, look at all the jobsworths court for swearing, court for finding a tenner on the ground etc. Meanwhile bicycles wizzing along pavements, jumping red lights, car drivers on mobile phones etc
Banned
Snowflake justice. So liberal and wishy-washy that justice comes second.
'Magistrates handed Thawer a community order, £85 costs and a two month curfew from 7am until 7pm.'

Surely that is meant to mean 7pm to 7am? The scumbag is a burglar!
chocci7 m ago

'Magistrates handed Thawer a community order, £85 costs and a two month …'Magistrates handed Thawer a community order, £85 costs and a two month curfew from 7am until 7pm.'Surely that is meant to mean 7pm to 7am? The scumbag is a burglar!

Its possible he was targeting properties when people were out at work, in which case the curfew would make sense
If it was a first offence then I could understand but with 6 previous convictions, including burglary then the judge is incompetent.

Why the article calls him a teenager is another thing.

He's 18 and therefore an adult, not some kid.
julieallen5 m ago

Its possible he was targeting properties when people were out at work, in …Its possible he was targeting properties when people were out at work, in which case the curfew would make sense

julieallen5 m ago

Its possible he was targeting properties when people were out at work, in …Its possible he was targeting properties when people were out at work, in which case the curfew would make sense

Guess he lost his job then

'he's a young man who's working towards qualifications in animal care. He's working, he's not idling his time away'
chocci8 m ago

Guess he lost his job then 'he's a young man who's working towards …Guess he lost his job then 'he's a young man who's working towards qualifications in animal care. He's working, he's not idling his time away'

haha I didn't read that, so unless he works nights then it is probably a mistake
reddit12 m ago

If it was a first offence then I could understand but with 6 previous …If it was a first offence then I could understand but with 6 previous convictions, including burglary then the judge is incompetent.Why the article calls him a teenager is another thing.He's 18 and therefore an adult, not some kid.

Still a teenager though - the clue is in the word Eighteen
Original Poster
It was the six previous convictions that got me. I am one whole heap older than eighteen and the worst I can muster is a fine for driving in a bus lane. Where is the deterrent element here?
chocci54 m ago

'Magistrates handed Thawer a community order, £85 costs and a two month …'Magistrates handed Thawer a community order, £85 costs and a two month curfew from 7am until 7pm.'Surely that is meant to mean 7pm to 7am? The scumbag is a burglar!

You think they only do it at night? LOL when are people least likely to be home?
Its like mugging people think oh I won't go out late at night, nope muggers operate between about 5pm and 8pm to catch all them suits going home at night with their laptop bags, fancy phones etc.
Crime pays for some, that's why there is crime and always will be, this applies to CEO level, lawyers, bankers as well as to louts and to a class of corporates called corporate manslaughter.
Segata-Sanshiro41 m ago

You think they only do it at night? LOL when are people least likely to be …You think they only do it at night? LOL when are people least likely to be home?Its like mugging people think oh I won't go out late at night, nope muggers operate between about 5pm and 8pm to catch all them suits going home at night with their laptop bags, fancy phones etc.

Different username, same old piffle
Selective headlining by the papers. They carefully omitted the parts about his 'history' and the fact he got involved in something that was not his concern.

"There was a large crowd with a number of males acting aggressively so an officer intervened. They managed to get control. Thawer shouted and swore at them. He was told to leave and warned about his behaviour. He didn't, so he was arrested."

His behaviour could have kicked off the fighting again. He was lucky.
chocci1 h, 27 m ago

Still a teenager though - the clue is in the word Eighteen

We normally refer to an adult as a man though.

Teen tends to intimate a minor.
Original Poster
kos1c5 m ago

I disagree. The tickets would cost upwards of £150. The judge understands …I disagree. The tickets would cost upwards of £150. The judge understands that they've been paid for and banning him from an already paid trip could cause a bigger backlash. His crime was pathetic at best and tbh, we are now a nation of softies who want to take action over being offended. Show someone good and hopefully they learn to follow.

He is eighteen with six previous offences. Don't you think he has had a chance already? One of those offences at least is for burglary. Maybe he stole the money for the tickets or maybe he is off there for a bit of petty theft.
psychobitchfromhell36 m ago

He is eighteen with six previous offences. Don't you think he has had a …He is eighteen with six previous offences. Don't you think he has had a chance already? One of those offences at least is for burglary. Maybe he stole the money for the tickets or maybe he is off there for a bit of petty theft.

Maybe he isn't.
psychobitchfromhell40 m ago

He is eighteen with six previous offences. Don't you think he has had a …He is eighteen with six previous offences. Don't you think he has had a chance already? One of those offences at least is for burglary. Maybe he stole the money for the tickets or maybe he is off there for a bit of petty theft.

Equally maybe a bit of kindness from the magistrate, delaying the punishment for a couple of days, will give him a more positive outlook towards the judicial system and he may repay the kindness by turning his life around? There is the carrot as well as the stick.

He was a child when he committed the other offences. Bit of a hysterical reaction ITT.
chocci1 h, 17 m ago

Different username, same old piffle

Speaking from experience are you? I didn't know you had a criminal record.
Segata-Sanshiro12 m ago

Speaking from experience are you? I didn't know you had a criminal record.

My point proven

Haven't you got kids to entertain with all this taxpayer's money you rake in? You seem to spend every waking hour on here.
Edited by: "chocci" 26th Aug 2017
He was given a 3 month curfew (I'm presuming 7am-pm is a typo).
He's grounded for 3 months for swearing.

Can I ask you guys that are horrified how you deal with your own children? Would you ground them for 3 months if they swore at you? If not then you are obviously terrible parents
2017 - The offenders have more rights than the victims so hardly surprising.
Rom12 m ago

He was given a 3 month curfew (I'm presuming 7am-pm is a typo). He's …He was given a 3 month curfew (I'm presuming 7am-pm is a typo). He's grounded for 3 months for swearing.Can I ask you guys that are horrified how you deal with your own children? Would you ground them for 3 months if they swore at you? If not then you are obviously terrible parents

Rom12 m ago

He was given a 3 month curfew (I'm presuming 7am-pm is a typo). He's …He was given a 3 month curfew (I'm presuming 7am-pm is a typo). He's grounded for 3 months for swearing.Can I ask you guys that are horrified how you deal with your own children? Would you ground them for 3 months if they swore at you? If not then you are obviously terrible parents

'he pleaded guilty to using abusive and threatening words to police in the town centre'

I doubt it was just swearing but without the facts, he may have made threats of violence too. At least he might learn to keep his nose out of business that was no concern of his.
Rom1 h, 7 m ago

Equally maybe a bit of kindness from the magistrate, delaying the …Equally maybe a bit of kindness from the magistrate, delaying the punishment for a couple of days, will give him a more positive outlook towards the judicial system and he may repay the kindness by turning his life around? There is the carrot as well as the stick.He was a child when he committed the other offences. Bit of a hysterical reaction ITT.

When would you like the magistrate to stop showing kindness? His next offence (his 8th) or a lot later, perhaps when he his 25-30 and he has grown up a bit more.
With attitudes like yours we wonder why society is going down hill.
Rom1 h, 35 m ago

Equally maybe a bit of kindness from the magistrate, delaying the …Equally maybe a bit of kindness from the magistrate, delaying the punishment for a couple of days, will give him a more positive outlook towards the judicial system and he may repay the kindness by turning his life around? There is the carrot as well as the stick.He was a child when he committed the other offences. Bit of a hysterical reaction ITT.

All those years to learn the lessons going into adulthood hasn't worked though.

7 offences is rather OTT don't you think?
shadey1230 m ago

When would you like the magistrate to stop showing kindness? His next …When would you like the magistrate to stop showing kindness? His next offence (his 8th) or a lot later, perhaps when he his 25-30 and he has grown up a bit more.With attitudes like yours we wonder why society is going down hill.

Probably when he's 25-30 he'll be properly looked after being provided with a room (shared), 3 quality meals a day, free access to Sky/Virgin, free internet, free access to the gym, free training, free counselling, free dental treatment and still have the option to disrespect those in authority.
chocci1 h, 30 m ago

My point proven Haven't you got kids to entertain with all this …My point proven Haven't you got kids to entertain with all this taxpayer's money you rake in? You seem to spend every waking hour on here.

As do you
Segata-Sanshiro1 m ago

As do you

unfortunately I dont get the life of riley courtesy of all those who go out to work
chocci4 m ago

unfortunately I dont get the life of riley courtesy of all those who go …unfortunately I dont get the life of riley courtesy of all those who go out to work

All things considered I'd gladly swap and work 70 hours a week if it got me my family back and normality, no more worrying about someone, having support and companionship etc.
Satan_Claws6 h, 11 m ago

Whilst it is ridiculous to suspend the curfew so he can go to a festival …Whilst it is ridiculous to suspend the curfew so he can go to a festival it is also ridiculous that swearing at a cop was worthy of taking someone to court. Don't the police and courts have better things to be doing?Also:"Magistrates handed Thawer a community order, £85 costs and a two month curfew from 7am until 7pm."Does that mean he can go out after 7pm?

Swearing at a cop during a fight.

Swearing at anyone without a legit reason is and should be a crime, these little guys need someone to parent them and teach them manors. If they are willing to do it at the police they are willing to intimidate and be aggressive to someone on their own.
reddit43 m ago

All those years to learn the lessons going into adulthood hasn't worked …All those years to learn the lessons going into adulthood hasn't worked though.7 offences is rather OTT don't you think?

It's not good. The burglary charge is obviously the worst but we don't know the details of that. No assaults for example.

The swearing at police is a nothing offence. They probably wouldn't even have cautioned him if it was his first offence. Instead they're getting sick of him so they prosecute and he's grounded for 3 months which is more than adequate IMO. Then people are getting their knickers in a twist because the magistrate shows a little discretion and stayed it for a couple of days.

Having bought his festival tickets it would have been very tempting (maybe irresistible) for him to ignore the curfew and go anyway and get himself in a lot more trouble. For swearing at someone. I imagine, wisely, this was part of the magistrate's thinking.

Maybe he's not an entirely evil being that will be a career criminal in a few years?

I love the self-righteousness here, like you guys have never made a mistake.
Rom6 m ago

It's not good. The burglary charge is obviously the worst but we don't …It's not good. The burglary charge is obviously the worst but we don't know the details of that. No assaults for example.The swearing at police is a nothing offence. They probably wouldn't even have cautioned him if it was his first offence. Instead they're getting sick of him so they prosecute and he's grounded for 3 months which is more than adequate IMO. Then people are getting their knickers in a twist because the magistrate shows a little discretion and stayed it for a couple of days.Having bought his festival tickets it would have been very tempting (maybe irresistible) for him to ignore the curfew and go anyway and get himself in a lot more trouble. For swearing at someone. I imagine, wisely, this was part of the magistrate's thinking.Maybe he's not an entirely evil being that will be a career criminal in a few years? I love the self-righteousness here, like you guys have never made a mistake.

He hasn't made 'a mistake' he has made at least 7 he has been caught for. When do people like you pull your head from the guardian long enough to see reality.
shadey1215 m ago

He hasn't made 'a mistake' he has made at least 7 he has been caught for. …He hasn't made 'a mistake' he has made at least 7 he has been caught for. When do people like you pull your head from the guardian long enough to see reality.

And he's been punished for them all as the police etc. saw fit. And we do not know the circumstances.
Of course, Draco, you know better, because your reality differs not only from mine, but the judicial system's.
As I say, don't tell me you've never done anything wrong Shadey. There must be hundreds of thousands of people that got in trouble with the police as children and were shown a little leniency or discretion, weren't criminalised and exposed to more hardened criminals and went on to become perfectly decent members of society.
If he was going around beating people up or something serious, I'd agree he shouldn't get much leeway. He swore at someone.
Rom14 m ago

And he's been punished for them all as the police etc. saw fit. And we do …And he's been punished for them all as the police etc. saw fit. And we do not know the circumstances. Of course, Draco, you know better, because your reality differs not only from mine, but the judicial system's.As I say, don't tell me you've never done anything wrong Shadey. There must be hundreds of thousands of people that got in trouble with the police as children and were shown a little leniency or discretion, weren't criminalised and exposed to more hardened criminals and went on to become perfectly decent members of society.If he was going around beating people up or something serious, I'd agree he shouldn't get much leeway. He swore at someone.

A burglary 12 months ago and a public order 3 months ago, nice to see he learned the lesson.
When do you stop giving him a chance to become a decent member of society?
shadey1213 m ago

A burglary 12 months ago and a public order 3 months ago, nice to see he …A burglary 12 months ago and a public order 3 months ago, nice to see he learned the lesson.When do you stop giving him a chance to become a decent member of society?

The burglary offence, whatever the circumstances (and if it was a proper burglary that could account for another 2 or 3 offences) was committed when he was a child.
These offences he committed as a child will, rightly, be essentially wiped from his record at 18.
As I said, if this offence was of any consequence then throw the book at him. It wasn't. He isn't getting worse is he?
He still got the curfew put on him for 3 months, would you appreciate that if you lost your temper and swore at a policeman?
What if he gets done for evading his TV licence next? Serious jail time?
Edited by: "Cr0m" 26th Aug 2017
Rom3 m ago

The burglary offence, whatever the circumstances (and if it was a proper …The burglary offence, whatever the circumstances (and if it was a proper burglary that could account for another 2 or 3 offences) was committed when he was a child.These offences he committed as a child will, rightly, be essentially wiped from his record at 18. As I said, if this offence was of any consequence then throw the book at him. It wasn't. He isn't getting worse is he? He still got the curfew put on him for 3 months, would you appreciate that if you lost your temper and swore at a policeman?What if he gets done for evading his TV licence next? Serious jail time?

So you are classing a 17 year old burglar as a child?
Original Poster
Rom4 m ago

The burglary offence, whatever the circumstances (and if it was a proper …The burglary offence, whatever the circumstances (and if it was a proper burglary that could account for another 2 or 3 offences) was committed when he was a child.These offences he committed as a child will, rightly, be essentially wiped from his record at 18. As I said, if this offence was of any consequence then throw the book at him. It wasn't. He isn't getting worse is he? What if he gets done for evading his TV licence next? Serious jail time?

The age of criminal responsibility is ten years old isn't it? I think he probably committed the other offences after the age of ten.
shadey1210 m ago

So you are classing a 17 year old burglar as a child?

He can't buy a pint or vote, I give them some leeway. I've made my points.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants