Criminal activities and mopeds

Found 6th Nov 2017
The latest publicised acid attack on food delivery man nearly killed him and will most probably leave him blind.

Ive witnessed a failed attempt of a phone robbery where a moped was driven up onto the pavement and a pillion rider unsuccessfully tried to snatch a phone from a girl’s hand.

To curb this latest form of terror on the streets an easy solution would be to ban pilllion riders on all mopeds, or perhaps increase the minimum age to 18.

A 16 year old and 14 year old have been arrested over the latest acid attack incident
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
If you think that this scum would stop and think 'oh, damn. We can't do it any more because we can't have 2 on the moped', then I'm afraid you're wrong. They're not afraid to commit robbery or violent assaults so they're certainly not going to bother about committing a minor traffic violation.
Until sentencing is harsh these crimes will continue.
Like I said in the last thread about this, if you attempt to scar someone for life or blind them you should get life.
Maybe get a minimum 5 years for any crime involving a moped or trying to steal one.
42 Comments
So you want to punish moped owners who already have it bad with having their mopeds nicked anyway and the inefficient police who fail to pick up their stolen vehicles dispite all that CCTV they got
Unfortunately too many treat their phones as a fashion accessory that needs to be on constant show.
As for the acid attacks: I think this kind of evil crime is going to increase and become another “fear” we will all have to accept in our daily lives.
I’m just shocked that you can buy acid over the counter? I can’t think of a legitimate reason to buy it?
If you think that this scum would stop and think 'oh, damn. We can't do it any more because we can't have 2 on the moped', then I'm afraid you're wrong. They're not afraid to commit robbery or violent assaults so they're certainly not going to bother about committing a minor traffic violation.
Segata-Sanshiro8 m ago

So you want to punish moped owners who already have it bad with having …So you want to punish moped owners who already have it bad with having their mopeds nicked anyway and the inefficient police who fail to pick up their stolen vehicles dispite all that CCTV they got

Surely genuine moped owners would welcome an initiative that would give the police an easily visible reason (2 people) to stop and question potential criminals. The police getting on top of this will benefit the genuine moped owners and other victims.
deleted265520
It should be raised regardless of the criminal activity aspect.
alcot33uk2 m ago

I’m just shocked that you can buy acid over the counter? I can’t think of a …I’m just shocked that you can buy acid over the counter? I can’t think of a legitimate reason to buy it?

Drain unblocker
Segata-Sanshiro17 m ago

So you want to punish moped owners who already have it bad with having …So you want to punish moped owners who already have it bad with having their mopeds nicked anyway and the inefficient police who fail to pick up their stolen vehicles dispite all that CCTV they got

Can you imagine the “child” falling off the back of a moped and dying during a police chase to seize it? The parents of that innocent youngster would be up in arms seeking compensation, and there would be the obligatory marches (riots) protesting about police brutality
Saturn17 m ago

Surely genuine moped owners would welcome an initiative that would give …Surely genuine moped owners would welcome an initiative that would give the police an easily visible reason (2 people) to stop and question potential criminals. The police getting on top of this will benefit the genuine moped owners and other victims.

Lol first up plenty of people ride 2 on a moped. Both mopeds and bikes are built to hold two so do you want everyone to have to buy a sidecar and clog up the road more?

Secondly if a vehicle is reported as nicked why do the police have such trouble finding it with all the CCTV around?

Thirdly if a moped isn't available a bicycle will do or just legs or a getaway car, electric scooter etc.

Honestly if you want people to stop chucking acid around legalise mace because the only way your going to stop it is by making a safer cheaper alternative available. Where theres a will there is a way, ban baseball bats and people will hammer nails into bits of wood,. Ban acid and people will probably turn to something like quick lime, spray cans + a lighter or spray glue
Until sentencing is harsh these crimes will continue.
Like I said in the last thread about this, if you attempt to scar someone for life or blind them you should get life.
Maybe get a minimum 5 years for any crime involving a moped or trying to steal one.
Original Poster
deeky38 m ago

If you think that this scum would stop and think 'oh, damn. We can't do it …If you think that this scum would stop and think 'oh, damn. We can't do it any more because we can't have 2 on the moped', then I'm afraid you're wrong. They're not afraid to commit robbery or violent assaults so they're certainly not going to bother about committing a minor traffic violation.

It would curb it not eradicate it. People/police would be aware that 2 on a moped were breaking the law.
Exactly - going for mopeds won’t changes anything. Going for the criminals is what changes things. Punish them, not the legitimate people who use them.
On a side note, yes acid is legal. No harm in that, there hasn’t been for years, but there is a minority who misuse it, no need to ban it though, otherwise where do you stop? A ban on all knives or pointed things? How about a ban on mobile phones, that way they can’t be stolen.
Original Poster
If someone could invent a gel that could not be easily diluted to make it more runny it would be a start. The fact one of it's main usages is to clear unblocked pipes/drains means it's beyond most people's thinking, but I think a chemist may have an angle.
OllieSt26 m ago

It would curb it not eradicate it. People/police would be aware that 2 on …It would curb it not eradicate it. People/police would be aware that 2 on a moped were breaking the law.

But they wouldn't even be able to catch them, they never can. Otherwise there wouldn't be thousands of grey track-suited scroats riding around on stolen mopeds and motorbikes, at all hours and all over the country.
Dont you need to do das or full cbt to carry passengers anyway?

Just enforce the law and nick anyone carrying passengers that hasnt got the correct license.

Clue : its about £700 to take full cbt so if yiu spot some scroat about 17 carrying a pillion theres a high chance he wont have passed it...
Flodd13 m ago

Dont you need to do das or full cbt to carry passengers anyway? Just …Dont you need to do das or full cbt to carry passengers anyway? Just enforce the law and nick anyone carrying passengers that hasnt got the correct license. Clue : its about £700 to take full cbt so if yiu spot some scroat about 17 carrying a pillion theres a high chance he wont have passed it...

I think you can take a pillion on a 50cc moped if you have done the CBT and have a full car licence, not 100% sure but I think that is how it works. Any higher than 50cc would need a full bike licence.
Predikuesi1 h, 34 m ago

Can you imagine the “child” falling off the back of a moped and dying dur …Can you imagine the “child” falling off the back of a moped and dying during a police chase to seize it? The parents of that innocent youngster would be up in arms seeking compensation, and there would be the obligatory marches (riots) protesting about police brutality

Look what happened with the Henry Hicks case, either he was a promising footballer unlawfully killed by police death squads or he was a drug dealing scrote who paid a high price for being scroaty all depending on what side of the fence your on.

I cant see anything changing unless the police chase rules are overhauled so they can pursue mopeds but then we have to accept that some promising footballers will die. Personally I don't have a problem with that, you take your choice and pay up accordingly.
Ban mopeds. They are noisy and a source of ASB. They are often driven with disregard for other road users.
groenleader5 m ago

Ban mopeds. They are noisy and a source of ASB. They are often driven with …Ban mopeds. They are noisy and a source of ASB. They are often driven with disregard for other road users.

We could ban most vehicles based on that criteria. Horse and cart anyone?
CoeK10 m ago

We could ban most vehicles based on that criteria. Horse and cart anyone?

But overwhelmingly they are used inappropriately on estates across the country. Now its being taken on to the city streets. Car theft and use as ASB is very small, dropping all the time.

We banned hand guns after one issue at a school even though hundreds of thousands were used legitimately for recreation every week.

What can we do to rehabilitate these people who are involved in moped crime etc. in the future. Society is just stacking up problems by, as usual with the Brits, non-action being the order of the day.

I believe the banning of mopeds to be both a legitimate and creditable action to take, even if its just in the short term, 12 -24 months to help relieve a growing crime accessory.
Edited by: "groenleader" 6th Nov 2017
groenleader3 m ago

But overwhelmingly they are used inappropriately on estates across the …But overwhelmingly they are used inappropriately on estates across the country. Now its being taken on to the city streets. Car theft and use as ASB is very small, dropping all the time. We banned hand guns after one issue at a school even though hundreds of thousands were used legitimately for recreation every week. What can we do to rehabilitate these people who are involved in moped crime etc. in the future. Society is just stacking up problems by, as usual with the Brits, non-action being the order of the day. I believe the banning of mopeds to be both a legitimate and creditable action to take, even if its just in the short term, 12 -24 months to help relieve a growing crime accessory.

Well I look forward to going over the stats you used for this summary.
Saturn2 h, 26 m ago

Surely genuine moped owners would welcome an initiative that would give …Surely genuine moped owners would welcome an initiative that would give the police an easily visible reason (2 people) to stop and question potential criminals. The police getting on top of this will benefit the genuine moped owners and other victims.

I wonder what the Guiness (Book of) World Records states for the number of Police on top of a moped.

The Royal Signals White Helmets can offer some tips...

32378118-VFUB3.jpg
Fit police cars with laser guided missiles.
ktm6662 h, 3 m ago

Exactly - going for mopeds won’t changes anything. Going for the criminals …Exactly - going for mopeds won’t changes anything. Going for the criminals is what changes things. Punish them, not the legitimate people who use them.On a side note, yes acid is legal. No harm in that, there hasn’t been for years, but there is a minority who misuse it, no need to ban it though, otherwise where do you stop? A ban on all knives or pointed things? How about a ban on mobile phones, that way they can’t be stolen.

Knives are already heavily affected, you can't carry one with a blade over 2 and a half ish inches, you can't carry a lock knife, a spring assisted, a automatic, a bailsong, a para, a switchblade, stelletto, a T handle, a knuckle knife or something they claim resembles one which has caused some arguments with suppliers over karambits.

And we are looking at new laws now that say you have to collect a weapon from a pick up point with I.D instead of having them delivered to your door, that's in addition to the fact weapons sellers have for years required you to email or fax images of your valid passport or drivers license for background checks before purchasing.

And what has all that done? Nothing because you can go to your mammas kitchen and take a knife for free any time.

Ban all knives and people will be shanked with shards of glass or sharpened plastic with a homemade handle etc like what they do in prison
groenleader47 m ago

Ban mopeds. They are noisy and a source of ASB. They are often driven with …Ban mopeds. They are noisy and a source of ASB. They are often driven with disregard for other road users.

No pizza for you
OllieSt1 h, 59 m ago

If someone could invent a gel that could not be easily diluted to make it …If someone could invent a gel that could not be easily diluted to make it more runny it would be a start. The fact one of it's main usages is to clear unblocked pipes/drains means it's beyond most people's thinking, but I think a chemist may have an angle.

So you want people to spray gel acid on people that isn't easy to wash off
Flodd4 h, 52 m ago

Dont you need to do das or full cbt to carry passengers anyway? Just …Dont you need to do das or full cbt to carry passengers anyway? Just enforce the law and nick anyone carrying passengers that hasnt got the correct license. Clue : its about £700 to take full cbt so if yiu spot some scroat about 17 carrying a pillion theres a high chance he wont have passed it...

It's about £100 for a CBT

You need a full motorbike licence to allow you to carry a pillion. DAS (Direct Access) no restriction of engine/bike except your age) cost upwards of £500

Irrespective of the above and any changes to the laws for moped/motorbike riders it will have zero effect on he scroats that steal mopeds/motorbikes and/or use them for robbery or other crimes.

Most police forces are frightened to chase these scum because of incidents like Henry Hicks who of course was a good boy and didn't do anything wrong.

For me it's simple - if you ride or drive and you fail to stop and you die in a police chase then tough it's nobody else's fault but your own. The law states you must stop/pull over when requested by police - Henry Hicks didn't and rode off causing an unnecessary police chase and died when he lost control.. Parents like those of Henry Hicks can go to hell.

The only way to stop these is to give immunity to the police who are only trying to protect the innocent. These scummy gits even take their helmets (if they are wearing them) off when they are being chased because they know the police ill not risk their scummy life.

These scummy gits steal property, ride without due care, no insurance etc and can easily maim or kill innocent people without fear of being caught and if they do get caught without fear of punishment for their crimes.

Scummy moped riders who engage in these crimes should IMHO be classed as armed and dangerous

And if as a parent you don't like this then be a better responsible parent and stop your kid

Megaphone battery is low - recharging batteries
groenleader4 h, 12 m ago

But overwhelmingly they are used inappropriately on estates across the …But overwhelmingly they are used inappropriately on estates across the country. Now its being taken on to the city streets. Car theft and use as ASB is very small, dropping all the time. We banned hand guns after one issue at a school even though hundreds of thousands were used legitimately for recreation every week. What can we do to rehabilitate these people who are involved in moped crime etc. in the future. Society is just stacking up problems by, as usual with the Brits, non-action being the order of the day. I believe the banning of mopeds to be both a legitimate and creditable action to take, even if its just in the short term, 12 -24 months to help relieve a growing crime accessory.

A small minority ridden by scummy gits who's parents think are good kids doing nothing wrong and you go full re..... on all moped riders?

I blame the parents - ban parents of scummy gits - sterilise/neuter them allI

If we did that then we wouldn't be having scummy gits stealing mopeds, riding around with loud exhausts stealing mobile phones and stuff.
Acid should not be available to the general public.
I said that in the previous thread a few months ago.
Anyone comparing acid to knives is just arguing for the sake of argument.
Banned
So you think those robbing using mopeds are legit?

The moped is probably stolen, the riders unlicensed & uninsured & therefore it is illegal for pillion passengers anyway.
Destard21 m ago

Acid should not be available to the general public.I said that in the …Acid should not be available to the general public.I said that in the previous thread a few months ago.Anyone comparing acid to knives is just arguing for the sake of argument.

But it tastes so good
groenleader7 h, 7 m ago

In which case, they will move onto mx bikes, or push bikes, or electric bikes. Anything that can weave through tight gaps and away from police. It’s nit the fact it’s a moped, it’s the fact that police won’t chase them.
Instead of banning mopeds, we would be better off allowing the police to either persue or use force to get them off the mopeds.
Segata-Sanshiro6 h, 37 m ago

Knives are already heavily affected, you can't carry one with a blade over …Knives are already heavily affected, you can't carry one with a blade over 2 and a half ish inches, you can't carry a lock knife, a spring assisted, a automatic, a bailsong, a para, a switchblade, stelletto, a T handle, a knuckle knife or something they claim resembles one which has caused some arguments with suppliers over karambits.And we are looking at new laws now that say you have to collect a weapon from a pick up point with I.D instead of having them delivered to your door, that's in addition to the fact weapons sellers have for years required you to email or fax images of your valid passport or drivers license for background checks before purchasing.And what has all that done? Nothing because you can go to your mammas kitchen and take a knife for free any time. Ban all knives and people will be shanked with shards of glass or sharpened plastic with a homemade handle etc like what they do in prison

Exactly - banning things don’t work. Turning a blind eye doesn’t work, what would work is a better punishment system to put people off doing it, but even then there are those that don’t care and will do it anyway.
ktm66633 m ago

In which case, they will move onto mx bikes, or push bikes, or electric …In which case, they will move onto mx bikes, or push bikes, or electric bikes. Anything that can weave through tight gaps and away from police. It’s nit the fact it’s a moped, it’s the fact that police won’t chase them. Instead of banning mopeds, we would be better off allowing the police to either persue or use force to get them off the mopeds.

But the public is simply not willing to fund it! There are no prison places, there are not enough police officers to keep on top of the criminal activity.

Its a walk over out there and its going to get worse unless the inept british public at large start motioning for change.

A ban brings an end to this en masse moped issue. Its fine to bring electric bike etc under the same curbing. Like I said it does not have to forever, it just needs to be temporary action to allow for a pause and try and let generational gap occur.
No, the problem is fools keep voting for the Tories and then moan the police don't have enough resources and that the NHS is under funded.

Public service always have, and will be dire under the Tories.
I think this would be a good temporary measure to reduce the number of incidents. I assume our mayor has a helpful opinion on this???
groenleader40 m ago

But the public is simply not willing to fund it! There are no prison …But the public is simply not willing to fund it! There are no prison places, there are not enough police officers to keep on top of the criminal activity. Its a walk over out there and its going to get worse unless the inept british public at large start motioning for change. A ban brings an end to this en masse moped issue. Its fine to bring electric bike etc under the same curbing. Like I said it does not have to forever, it just needs to be temporary action to allow for a pause and try and let generational gap occur.

So a ban brings an end to them using mopeds..... they will use something else, meanwhile all the people who commute using mopeds will suffer by having wasted money on something they have bought which is now useless and will have to find another way to commute to work.
Whilst I agree about the funding issue, ultimately, the great British public will moan about something until they realise it’s going to cost them then turn a blind eye until it’s in their door step.
An easy cheap way to fix this is for the public to side with the police when a chase goes wrong, rather than jumping on the band wagon in condemning them for doing their job when someone gets injured or killed running away from them.
This issue is the fault of many people, but it goes deeper and further than legitimate users of mopeds.
Terrorist attacks using cars is on the increase. Should we ban cars??
When I went to Cuba I asked our taxi driver about whether drugs were a problem. He said if caught with weed you could be looking at a five year prison sentence and as such it' not a problem. When I explained you would be lucky to get a five minute telling off he looked genuiney surrised.
My point being until crime doesn't pay criminals will still be out there. The media are too wrapped up in the rights for the criminals and sadly successive governments pander to it. When people are in court they ask the accussed for any extenuating circumstances why the committed the crime, I'm sure this is just an excuse to keep people out the prison system lol!
However with regards to moped crime and other crimes mentioned above there should be mandatory sentences and people made to pay back the cost of policing, sentencing, jail cost, and victim cost.
Destard5 h, 9 m ago

Acid should not be available to the general public.I said that in the …Acid should not be available to the general public.I said that in the previous thread a few months ago.Anyone comparing acid to knives is just arguing for the sake of argument.

It has many many uses, just because you don't use it doesn't mean you should be able to stop other people unblocking drains, stripping paint, cleaning metals, doing chemistry etc
philphil616 h, 58 m ago

It's about £100 for a CBT You need a full motorbike licence to allow you …It's about £100 for a CBT You need a full motorbike licence to allow you to carry a pillion. DAS (Direct Access) no restriction of engine/bike except your age) cost upwards of £500Irrespective of the above and any changes to the laws for moped/motorbike riders it will have zero effect on he scroats that steal mopeds/motorbikes and/or use them for robbery or other crimes.Most police forces are frightened to chase these scum because of incidents like Henry Hicks who of course was a good boy and didn't do anything wrong.For me it's simple - if you ride or drive and you fail to stop and you die in a police chase then tough it's nobody else's fault but your own. The law states you must stop/pull over when requested by police - Henry Hicks didn't and rode off causing an unnecessary police chase and died when he lost control.. Parents like those of Henry Hicks can go to hell.The only way to stop these is to give immunity to the police who are only trying to protect the innocent. These scummy gits even take their helmets (if they are wearing them) off when they are being chased because they know the police ill not risk their scummy life.These scummy gits steal property, ride without due care, no insurance etc and can easily maim or kill innocent people without fear of being caught and if they do get caught without fear of punishment for their crimes.Scummy moped riders who engage in these crimes should IMHO be classed as armed and dangerousAnd if as a parent you don't like this then be a better responsible parent and stop your kid Megaphone battery is low - recharging batteries

Actually you don't need a full motorcycle licence to carry a pillion, you can do so with a full moped license.
If you passed your car test before February 2001 you're entitled to a full moped license.
If you have passed your car test(after Feb 2001) and CBT you're entitled to a full moped license
if you are 16 you have a CBT, pass the the motorcycle theory test, and the practical moped test you are entitled to a full moped license.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants