Groups

Criteria to save using solar panels?

Do we need a particular facing garden, and are they worth it?

8 Comments

Original Poster

Clever einstein, but I'm looking from people who have experience with solar panels and their opinions rather than generic google searches.

I have them in my rental property. It has a south facing garden which is preferable but you can put them on other faces too. They made quite a difference to our energy bills when we lived in the house. You do need a certain size of roof though.my house is a three bed detached and that was deemed big enough but my neighbour's semi wasn't.

sorry I don't fully understand the question are u asking if there's a criteria to get grants for free installation there was before one being roof needs facing certain direction and the size 9f 8t not sure if they still doing them for free though.

Not sure it would be worth it nowadays. The FIT tariff is just over 4p per KW so on a 4KW system it would take about 18 years on a £5000 system just to break even (i'm judging this on my 4KW system that i had fitted in July 2015 and they quoted me 6-7 yrs to cover the cost)

steevieboy4u

Not sure it would be worth it nowadays. The FIT tariff is just over 4p … Not sure it would be worth it nowadays. The FIT tariff is just over 4p per KW so on a 4KW system it would take about 18 years on a £5000 system just to break even (i'm judging this on my 4KW system that i had fitted in July 2015 and they quoted me 6-7 yrs to cover the cost)

​4p bit of a rip off no way to sell it to the neighbours. for say 10p

MynameisM

​4p bit of a rip off no way to sell it to the neighbours. for say 10p

Nope

We've ten on a south facing roof, quite far north. Several neighbours have them on different facing roofs but none on north side, which would be a waste of time, I think. It's well worth our while. The surveying engineer went to a lot of trouble working out the benefits exactly, but I reckon we're ahead as our bills have come down about £20 a month and this will only increase as the cost of electricity rises. We got the FIT tariff a couple of years ago, so 18 years of cheques to go. It varies between about £40 and £180 a quarter, plus a lot of free power during the day. Once batteries get cheaper I'll be looking at them. I don't know if the FIT tariff still applies, but panels are getting cheaper. You need to do some sums and get proper advice.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Easyjet - book now or wait?34
      2. Dell Outlet Alternatives22
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1224
      4. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay1017

See more discussions