Critical Illness Life Insurance

Posted 24th May
Hi,

anyone recommend a broker or provider of critical illness life insurance? My wifes recent cancer diagnosis while pregnant withour first child has shocked me and i want to make sure they’re looked after if anything happens to me.

I’ve looked on MSE and they dont seem to like it.

Anyone taken out a policy recently?

Dan
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Don’t know the answer but I’m sorry to hear you’re going through that. Must be very difficult. Wishing you all the best.
Legal and General get my vote.
Friends life now aviva, I’ve been with for ten years with a medical condition. Not sure what the price is now but I’m paying £21pcm
Ps sending all my love
Aviva for sure, have critical life and work/mortgage cover with them. Fantastic service when you make enquiries and found really helpful.
I don't know the answer but hope Mum and Baby are all ok, stay safe
you get compare critical illness cover from several sites. just type it into google and several will come up. a friend asked me to look into this for him last year but i never really got very far as it asked personal questions so he has to do it himself really.
Whatever you say DO NOT say you are depressed or have anything that might indicate you have a preexisting condition.

If you can do that then just use a normal search engine. Your wifes condition has no relation to you. It is only your own blood relatives that make a difference. Like your mum & dad & uncles & aunts & grandad & grandma etc. If you don't have issues & your own blood relatives have had no issues then you should get a cheap quote.
Critical illness cover and life insurance are 2 different things.
Pandamansays24/05/2020 23:37

They are but they seem to come packaged together.

Willy_Wonka24/05/2020 23:22

Whatever you say DO NOT say you are depressed or have anything that might …Whatever you say DO NOT say you are depressed or have anything that might indicate you have a preexisting condition. If you can do that then just use a normal search engine. Your wifes condition has no relation to you. It is only your own blood relatives that make a difference. Like your mum & dad & uncles & aunts & grandad & grandma etc. If you don't have issues & your own blood relatives have had no issues then you should get a cheap quote.

Cheapest quote ive had is for £30 a month for a £175k decreasing amount. Im 33, no medical issues, non smoker, drink very little.
borat123425/05/2020 00:13

They are but they seem to come packaged together.Cheapest quote ive had is …They are but they seem to come packaged together.Cheapest quote ive had is for £30 a month for a £175k decreasing amount. Im 33, no medical issues, non smoker, drink very little.

OK but the most important thing now is to look at what the policies cover or excludes. x Best of luck. It is a minefield. x
Virgin money try them. Been with for. 5 yeras
Pandamansays24/05/2020 23:37

Life insurance pays out when you die, critical illness cover pays out when you get diagnosed a critical illness, but you get to "enjoy" the money before you die.
Edited by: "madoka_ayukawa" 25th May
madoka_ayukawa25/05/2020 00:43

Life insurance pays out when you die, critical illness cover pays out when …Life insurance pays out when you die, critical illness cover pays out when you get diagnosed a critical illness, but you get to "enjoy" the money before you die.

my worry as the main bread winner is that if i was unable to work due to diagnosis/treatment then my family would suffer financially. That’s why i want critical illness insurance.
borat123425/05/2020 04:35

my worry as the main bread winner is that if i was unable to work due to …my worry as the main bread winner is that if i was unable to work due to diagnosis/treatment then my family would suffer financially. That’s why i want critical illness insurance.

Would you not want income protection instead?
Critical cover pays out if you have a serious illness (not all are covered, check policy). A lump sum is paid eg 30k for ovarian/prostate cancer diagnosis.
But income protection pays a monthly amount until retirement age. The monthly anount isn't your full salary value, i think its upto 60-80%, happy to be corrected. The premium on income protection is reduced if you defer when you want to be paid. Eg if employer pays you 6 months full pay when you are sick, it will be slightly cheaper to defer payment for 6 months.
If still ill after month 6 your policy will pay out thst month but again not every illnesd is covered. Check with policy provider. I was told Vitality provide a good level of cover but that was a few years ago.
I think this type of policy is good as it still provides income if permanently unable to work say early dementia, paralysis, etc
Edited by: "ran123ran" 25th May
Willy_Wonka25/05/2020 00:34

OK but the most important thing now is to look at what the policies cover …OK but the most important thing now is to look at what the policies cover or excludes. x Best of luck. It is a minefield. x

This is an incredibly important point. You need to know exactly what they cover. A lot of companies cover similar things, but the difference is in the details...for example some cover a simple diagnosis of an illness, whilst others insist on the illness having affected you in a particular way. The difference is night and day between some companies, and could be the difference between the policy paying out or not. Take your time to carefully read the policies before committing.
Hi - sorry to hear about your news. I would use life search as a broker - they really helped me
Post a comment
@
    Text