Crops to Grow during lock down

Posted 11th Apr
Hi.

I asked about this a while ago but not for the same circumstances.

I was going to grow garlic. Anything else one can grow from vegetables in supermarkets at this time of the year?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
19777681881586619232.jpg
33 Comments
You know, perhaps the government will now think about legalising weed at some point, just think about the extra taxes they will make from it & they are going to need all the extra income they can get.

Oh & now my answer is going to look weird as your picture of some weed has been deleted

As to your question OP, I haven't, but I'm sure if you cut the top off a carrot or similar it would grow.
Edited by: "richp" 11th Apr
Sun flower seeds can go in soon. Dwarf ones if you don't want 6 foot ones as they can fall over. Trailing tomato plants in hanging baskets or standard ones but get them going now. Seeds need to be planted or you will miss the slot...
Most things can be planted in April, there aren't many that the planting season is already over for.
19777681881586619232.jpg
Everyone should PM the PM & get him to ask our low grade prisoners if they want to do fully paid work to pick our fields now.

We will have no UK veg or fruit or veg very soon if something isn't done soon.
If you want to plant direct, without the need of compost and transplanting....

I usually buy a pack of fresh mint, strip off the bottom layer of leaves and shove it in a pint glass of water, it never fails to root, and it would be good for younger kids as they can see the growth / home project. Just dont re plant in the garden.

Radish, spring onions, lettuce are easy things to start with. I know Asda have seeds for sale.
Edited by: "cideristhefuture" 11th Apr
Mushrooms. Everyone should be growing mushrooms because we're all in the excrement.
deleted193929
Willy_Wonka11/04/2020 16:35

We will have no UK veg or fruit or veg very soon if something isn't done …We will have no UK veg or fruit or veg very soon if something isn't done soon.

So how have we managed the past few thousand years?
Plenty of time for the growing season. Everything you plant will catch up.

If you're short on space 1x Courgette plant will produce numerous courgettes over a summer. Tomatoes similar.

Grow things that are expensive or rare in the shops. Khol Rabi is a plant that is something you never hear of but you can use the leaves like spinach and bulbous root like turnip.

*Edited spelling/ comprehension
Edited by: "GlentoranMark" 11th Apr
deleted193929
Beans, spinach, radishes are easy to manage and fast growing.
deleted19392911/04/2020 16:52

So how have we managed the past few thousand years?

We haven't. England had problems before. We just got a few boats off to Ireland & robbed them of their veg.

Europeans have been picking our fields for decades. I am sorry you didn't know that. Now agriculture is 70,000 jobs short this year to work on the fields.
deleted193929
Willy_Wonka11/04/2020 16:56

We haven't. England had problems before.

We haven't managed to get veg??? I don't recall my grandparents, or parents having problems getting veg, other than when we were being bombed left right and centre, and even then they got portions.

There will always be people willing to work fields. They used to do holiday trips from London to the countryside for people to pick harvest for the farmers - It was a day out and an experience for the kids.
deleted19392911/04/2020 17:01

We haven't managed to get veg??? I don't recall my grandparents, or …We haven't managed to get veg??? I don't recall my grandparents, or parents having problems getting veg, other than when we were being bombed left right and centre, and even then they got portions.There will always be people willing to work fields. They used to do holiday trips from London to the countryside for people to pick harvest for the farmers - It was a day out and an experience for the kids.

Not according to the National Farmers’ Union. I will listen to them thanks.
Willy_Wonka11/04/2020 16:35

Everyone should PM the PM & get him to ask our low grade prisoners if they …Everyone should PM the PM & get him to ask our low grade prisoners if they want to do fully paid work to pick our fields now. We will have no UK veg or fruit or veg very soon if something isn't done soon.

Why pay them anything? Prison should be painful not a holiday camp, make them work for free as part of their punishment
deleted193929
Willy_Wonka11/04/2020 17:04

Not according to the National Farmers’ Union. I will listen to them thanks.

You do that. I'll continue to buy my fruit and veg as I have always done, seeing as they have been saying this for years (and yet, veg was 15p last Christmas).
deleted2473787
Potatoes are easy to grow as well if you have the space.
a666andy11/04/2020 17:04

Why pay them anything? Prison should be painful not a holiday camp, make …Why pay them anything? Prison should be painful not a holiday camp, make them work for free as part of their punishment

Because forced prison labour has been illegal for 70 years? Just a thought.
deleted19392911/04/2020 17:06

You do that. I'll continue to buy my fruit and veg as I have always done, …You do that. I'll continue to buy my fruit and veg as I have always done, seeing as they have been saying this for years (and yet, veg was 15p last Christmas).

You continue whilst you can. Come back to me in December.
Best thing to grown whilst on lockdown,

White Cedar trees.
a666andy11/04/2020 17:04

Why pay them anything? Prison should be painful not a holiday camp, make …Why pay them anything? Prison should be painful not a holiday camp, make them work for free as part of their punishment

Thank you Home Secretary.
Wow. Good to see some decent recommendations and the side growth of a debate
Not veg related but I've just emptied all the flower seeds I have (incl ood ones) into a tub and mixed them and scattered all over my flower beds so excited to see what june brings, hopefully a riot of colour
Willy_Wonka11/04/2020 16:56

We haven't. England had problems before. We just got a few boats off to …We haven't. England had problems before. We just got a few boats off to Ireland & robbed them of their veg. Europeans have been picking our fields for decades. I am sorry you didn't know that. Now agriculture is 70,000 jobs short this year to work on the fields.

Only because farmers have moved on to quick cash crops.All around me used to be arable,root crops ect. Now it's a sea of pollytunnels full of strawberries, blueberries needing quick picked when ripe by cheap foreign labour on piece work.
Politics aside, beetroot, radishes, lettuce ,leeks spring onions all great starter veg.
sandstone111/04/2020 18:56

Politics aside, beetroot, radishes, lettuce ,leeks spring onions all great …Politics aside, beetroot, radishes, lettuce ,leeks spring onions all great starter veg.

Carrots & spuds
sandstone111/04/2020 18:56

Politics aside, beetroot, radishes, lettuce ,leeks spring onions all great …Politics aside, beetroot, radishes, lettuce ,leeks spring onions all great starter veg.

Every time i plant cabbages, broccoli they get decimated by caterpillars and slugs no matter what i do.
sandstone111/04/2020 18:58

Every time i plant cabbages, broccoli they get decimated by caterpillars …Every time i plant cabbages, broccoli they get decimated by caterpillars and slugs no matter what i do.

Apparently spraying them in the evening with plain water with a tiny bit of washing up liquid works. Just so when you spray there is the tiniest bit of foaming going on.
adamnsu11/04/2020 18:15

Wow. Good to see some decent recommendations and the side growth of a …Wow. Good to see some decent recommendations and the side growth of a debate

True

Have you checked you can source compost and seeds? Seeds seem to have quadrupled in price this year and compost is like hand sanitizer around here.
chocci11/04/2020 19:13

TrueHave you checked you can source compost and seeds? Seeds seem to have …TrueHave you checked you can source compost and seeds? Seeds seem to have quadrupled in price this year and compost is like hand sanitizer around here.

We have been able to source compost. However seeds are unavailable
Willy_Wonka11/04/2020 19:56

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-6-packs-in-1-all-year-round-vegetable-collection-seeds-pack/p/0339088

Many thanks 🏼
adamnsu11/04/2020 20:33

Many thanks 🏼

My pleasure. They have loads of seeds. That was just an example.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 11th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions