Crowds lurking around for reduced food @ Tesco..

Found 13th Aug 2017
Wondering if this exclusively a northern thing or happening all over the UK? Seems every evening when I'm going to Tesco's there are growing crowds waiting around for hours on end with their children on either side waiting for the reduced food to come out..

When the food finally comes out they even have to get the security around at my local as it gets a bit heated (not first time I've seen pushing/pulling/stealing or heard screaming from staff and the customers).

I never recollect seeing such a thing growing up, traditionally people would have been too ashamed to do such a thing.

As an alternative solution, wouldn't it be more sensible for companies like Tesco to donate food to local food banks or homeless shelters at the end of the day?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
mutley121 m ago

this topic of discussion has been done before and yes, i have seen it …this topic of discussion has been done before and yes, i have seen it happen at my local sainsburys and i was so shocked to see it. i think it is disgusting and supermarkets should stop putting things on sale at certain times if they see this happening. it is obvious people are not buying the products and just waiting until they go on offer, which defeats the whole purpose of the business model.

Me me me me me. Money's no object for you is it? Well how about you spare a thought for those to whom money, or the lack of it, is an issue.
111 Comments
Tesco wouldnt donate to food banks or whatever as they are there to make a profit. Even if they reduce a £3 ready meal to £2 they likely still make £1 profit from it.
Seen this happen in the large Tesco in Bristol. It's an amazing sight, like a school of piranha devouring their pray. . .
deleted1431257
Asda Small Heath as well mainly on the clearance, milk and bread aisles, it's like a bunch of rabid dogs have been unleashed.
We live in a village and it's the same in our co op. The poor lady that does the reducing is constantly being pestered
Sorry got distracted.
In my opinion a prejudice has been overcome. Back in the day people wouldn't be seen dead buying reduced items, whereas nowadays it's become almost trendy, there is nothing wrong with the food and it makes so much sense to sell it.
I have often wondered how to stop the rabid dog behaviour, but have never come up with a solution, any ideas?
steve122136 m ago

Seen this happen in the large Tesco in Bristol. It's an amazing sight, …Seen this happen in the large Tesco in Bristol. It's an amazing sight, like a school of piranha devouring their pray. . .

(prey)
Live in London got some reduced stuff Saturday in morrisons, 4 maple syrup american sized pancakes 50p instead of £1. Pack of 12 wurbatons rolls 75p was £1.50 both best by Saturday.

No one else cared, no crowds, no fighting etc, but then they were not in some special area morrisons just slap the reduced label on and chuck em back on their original shelves.
unclejim2729 m ago

Sorry got distracted.In my opinion a prejudice has been overcome. Back in …Sorry got distracted.In my opinion a prejudice has been overcome. Back in the day people wouldn't be seen dead buying reduced items, whereas nowadays it's become almost trendy, there is nothing wrong with the food and it makes so much sense to sell it.I have often wondered how to stop the rabid dog behaviour, but have never come up with a solution, any ideas?

They'll have to start handing out raffle tickets to people one hour before the items are reduced.
Not exclusive to any region, happens in all of the larger supermarkets.
GameofDeals22 m ago

They'll have to start handing out raffle tickets to people one hour before …They'll have to start handing out raffle tickets to people one hour before the items are reduced.

Thought about that but can you imagine the black market dealing on tickets
unclejim2755 m ago

Sorry got distracted.In my opinion a prejudice has been overcome. Back in …Sorry got distracted.In my opinion a prejudice has been overcome. Back in the day people wouldn't be seen dead buying reduced items, whereas nowadays it's become almost trendy, there is nothing wrong with the food and it makes so much sense to sell it.I have often wondered how to stop the rabid dog behaviour, but have never come up with a solution, any ideas?

What day would that be? I remember the busy reduced section in co op in the 80s
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 13th Aug 2017
Error4405 m ago

What day would that be? I remember the busy reduced section in co op in …What day would that be? I remember the busy reduced section in co op in the 80s

Co-op prices were always massively inflated so even discounted they would probably be normal retail price.
I see no problem with filling the trolley up with cheap cake and pastry
At Tesco Superstore in Rainham Essex, they usually close down the deli section at 7pm. The surrounding aisles are usually full of people pretending to still be shopping or standing around with one eye on the staff behind the deli counter who reduce the last few bits of sliced meats, onion bhajis, pork pies etc. Then when the reduced trolley gets wheeled out there is literally a stampede from all directions to get to the trolley first. At least 20 people trying to grab anything they can then pass it back to their family members to put in the baskets. Usually only egg sandwiches left with only a 30p reduction.
this topic of discussion has been done before and yes, i have seen it happen at my local sainsburys and i was so shocked to see it. i think it is disgusting and supermarkets should stop putting things on sale at certain times if they see this happening. it is obvious people are not buying the products and just waiting until they go on offer, which defeats the whole purpose of the business model.
Error44052 m ago

Live in London got some reduced stuff Saturday in morrisons, 4 maple syrup …Live in London got some reduced stuff Saturday in morrisons, 4 maple syrup american sized pancakes 50p instead of £1. Pack of 12 wurbatons rolls 75p was £1.50 both best by Saturday.No one else cared, no crowds, no fighting etc, but then they were not in some special area morrisons just slap the reduced label on and chuck em back on their original shelves.

I think Morrison's is by far the best for reductions, especially the bakery stuff. They tend to go down to 19p round us. Same with the veggies. Asda is rubbish these days and our local Tesco only ever take about 2p off. The big Tesco in town is better for reductions but it is like a rugby scrum.
mutley121 m ago

this topic of discussion has been done before and yes, i have seen it …this topic of discussion has been done before and yes, i have seen it happen at my local sainsburys and i was so shocked to see it. i think it is disgusting and supermarkets should stop putting things on sale at certain times if they see this happening. it is obvious people are not buying the products and just waiting until they go on offer, which defeats the whole purpose of the business model.

Me me me me me. Money's no object for you is it? Well how about you spare a thought for those to whom money, or the lack of it, is an issue.
In my opinion this is linked to the overall reduction in manners and courtesy across the country in recent years.
This also extend to using (or not) indicator lights when driving; holding the door open for people or letting people on/off/in/out before you; queuing and so on.

On a previous thread on this same subject, there were a number of comments from the far right members of this forum suggesting it was the fault of immigrants.
However, whenever I've seen people guilty of lacking manners, it has been a fair selection of all colours and genders, thus telling me something else is to blame for the breakdown of manners and common courtesy in this country.
I've got lucky once and they reduced all the cookies, doughnuts and cakes, got about 40 (inc 2 packs of 12) for something like 50p total. It was very quiet in there at the time, so presumably not a normal time for reduced things to appear.

Brought them to work the next day and everyone was happy.

I don't usually go there at the right time to see 'the purge', but I've heard stories! Definitely a national thing.
PTibbets1 h, 12 m ago

I always look at reduced items. In our local Tesco Xtra they have about 6 …I always look at reduced items. In our local Tesco Xtra they have about 6 different sections eg bread & cakes, chilled, wine & beer, petfood & ambient, homeware & electronics, health & beauty, salad/fruit/veg. Its my opinion you would be a mug not to. We save way over £100 a month getting bread for 8p & freezing it for example.

if not reduced... you'd use 3.30ish worth of bread a day?
Error4401 h, 8 m ago

What day would that be? I remember the busy reduced section in co op in …What day would that be? I remember the busy reduced section in co op in the 80s

So do i
Destard26 m ago

On a previous thread on this same subject, there were a number of comments …On a previous thread on this same subject, there were a number of comments from the far right members of this forum suggesting it was the fault of immigrants.

We have actual 'far right' members? I know a view of the spectrum can be particular to your own position on it, but do you really think there are members here who can objectively be deemed to be far-right in the commonly understood meaning of the term? Far out, maybe - far-right, not so sure. Keen however to see you expand upon this. Personally, I would be questioning my ongoing participation on a forum if I felt it was populated by people with truly extreme views. Or I would at least be seen to be challenging them vigorously.
31685627-HKDTb.jpg
From what I have seen the scramble for reduced items is worse down south I have seen people pushing and snatching items from people's hands.
I don't really care for stalking reduced items. However, if I am store and they reducing them, of course I will wait and see what is there! 2 minutes wait could mean paying 1/3rd of the price it was before!
mutley11 h, 9 m ago

deeky48 m ago

Me me me me me. Money's no object for you is it? Well how about you spare …Me me me me me. Money's no object for you is it? Well how about you spare a thought for those to whom money, or the lack of it, is an issue.

Supermarket business model: Generate as much revenue as possible by selling as much stock as possible given typical low percentage of margins on that stock.

Selling items very close to (or upon) the designated expiration date, at any price, rather than not generating any revenue from it, sounds like a good business strategy.

Of course, giving it away to local community food banks is also a very worthwhile practice.

Oh look, @mutley1, Sainsbury's do that as well...

[ about.sainsburys.co.uk/dis…ste ]
Destard42 m ago

In my opinion this is linked to the overall reduction in manners and …In my opinion this is linked to the overall reduction in manners and courtesy across the country in recent years.This also extend to using (or not) indicator lights when driving; holding the door open for people or letting people on/off/in/out before you; queuing and so on.On a previous thread on this same subject, there were a number of comments from the far right members of this forum suggesting it was the fault of immigrants.However, whenever I've seen people guilty of lacking manners, it has been a fair selection of all colours and genders, thus telling me something else is to blame for the breakdown of manners and common courtesy in this country.

Not sure about far right members on forum, but there is a definite difference in attitudes.

Obviously it's rotten for anyone to find themselves in such a situation that they can't afford prices, but I've seen many peeps whom I know are well off and they just enjoy a bargain.

Formerly helped out on the care vans at night helping the homeless and whilst the Brits queued the Eastern Europeans especially would lunge forward. They weren't being nasty, it was obviously just their way, they would often join the queues when we explained the need for queuing.

Regarding shops, the shops could easily leave items on original shelfs, but putting them on shelfs specifically labeled 'reduced' helps to get them sold quicker.
Saw this very thing this afternoon at a local store. About 30 mins before closing they do the 'final' reductions and the same people are ALWAYS lingering. It really is like a flock of vultures at an all-you-can-eat gazelle buffet. I don't object to the principal and yes, I have had a glance myself from a distance but I don't like crowds so I'm like the lone jackal that gets final pickings at the remnants of the carcass when all others are done!

What annoys me most is the rudeness people display as soon as the poor assistant turns up with their pricing gun. I don't envy them in the slightest and I damn well know I wouldn't be able to keep my cool under those circumstances. People don't even let them put the item back on the shelf in case someone else gets it, so snatch it out of the assistants hands!

There's this one clever (nee devious) woman who uses her kids as a trojan horse, so to speak. I've seen her do this now on more than one occasion. She gets her son and daughter to stand right in front of the shelf and they don't move a muscle whilst she does her normal shop. When the crowd starts to appear, she trots up with her trolley, announces quite loudly "scuse' me, can I just get my kids" and when everyone moves to let her through, she plants herself right next to the shelf and starts picking.

In another well-known supermarket, I know of two people who basically take their trolley, fill it with ALL the reduced stock (I'm not kidding) and then go off to find their friends - who then sort through all the stuff they want themselves and return what they don't want to the reduced section (or the nearest shelf as I have watched them do.) I know life is a dog-eat-dog thing and if you don't do it, someone else will but I find this to be very underhand. Just my opinion anyway.

As to stopping the practice - I don't think it's a bad thing. In fact, just today I picked up from another kind-of-reduced shelf some nice looking reduced sugar choccy (39p - was £1.50) so I can't grumble. Oh, and a 9p cheese-topped baguette - yum. I would just change the way it is done, such as making the reduced section somewhere away from the rest and not at the end of an aisle which gets blocked instantly. I saw a poor little lady ask five times very politely if she could come through with her trolley and everyone ignored her. Shameful but indicative of human nature sadly. I would also do as I saw in one store a while back and remove all the items from display onto a trolley, take them away to be repriced and them return and let everyone have at it! As long as I'm out of the way first - hehe.

I guess even though the meek may inherit the earth - the strong will get all the bargains first...
kester761 h, 27 m ago

Co-op prices were always massively inflated so even discounted they would …Co-op prices were always massively inflated so even discounted they would probably be normal retail price.

Still are!
Toptrumpet1 h, 45 m ago

At Tesco Superstore in Rainham Essex, they usually close down the deli …At Tesco Superstore in Rainham Essex, they usually close down the deli section at 7pm. The surrounding aisles are usually full of people pretending to still be shopping or standing around with one eye on the staff behind the deli counter who reduce the last few bits of sliced meats, onion bhajis, pork pies etc. Then when the reduced trolley gets wheeled out there is literally a stampede from all directions to get to the trolley first. At least 20 people trying to grab anything they can then pass it back to their family members to put in the baskets. Usually only egg sandwiches left with only a 30p reduction.

Reminds me of this anime :

The anime is about reduced price deal hunters battling it out.
I have two freezers in the garage. Nearly everything in them has reduced to clear labels on. Sometimes it means you have unusual meals but hey, if it is cheap who cares? Live a little.
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

I have two freezers in the garage. Nearly everything in them has reduced …I have two freezers in the garage. Nearly everything in them has reduced to clear labels on. Sometimes it means you have unusual meals but hey, if it is cheap who cares? Live a little.

Keeping two freezers running solely for reduced price items.

Makes sense.

Meme.

etc.
mutley11 h, 58 m ago

If the great unwashed upset you maybe you should stop going to a poor mans shop and stick to Selfridge's food hall.
There is no difference in hanging about the supermarket looking for such a bargain or waiting in line in the queues on Black Friday or even visiting HUKD looking to save money.
Mostly the Chinese takeaway owners that do it near me. No manners whatsoever but you can't say anything ('r' word).
delusion1 h, 21 m ago

I've got lucky once and they reduced all the cookies, doughnuts and cakes, …I've got lucky once and they reduced all the cookies, doughnuts and cakes, got about 40 (inc 2 packs of 12) for something like 50p total. It was very quiet in there at the time, so presumably not a normal time for reduced things to appear. Brought them to work the next day and everyone was happy. I don't usually go there at the right time to see 'the purge', but I've heard stories! Definitely a national thing.

Best deal i got was tins of vegetarian chili normally about £1.75 each reduced to clear for 25p, no idea if they were nice i bought all the tins left on the shelf which wasn't many and they was dented and chucked em in the foodbank.
redcantona3 m ago

Mostly the Chinese takeaway owners that do it near me. No manners …Mostly the Chinese takeaway owners that do it near me. No manners whatsoever but you can't say anything ('r' word).

Respect?
JimBobJr3 h, 55 m ago

Tesco wouldnt donate to food banks or whatever as they are there to make a …Tesco wouldnt donate to food banks or whatever as they are there to make a profit. Even if they reduce a £3 ready meal to £2 they likely still make £1 profit from it.

They do actually and have for some time tesco.com/com…on/

as for OP question, I've seen it get crowded in my Tesco but never to the point of pushing or needing security
Why do people think the supermarkets want to change anything? It might offend your sensibilities that the current situation rewards greed and bad manners but that's not really the concern of a profit-making corporation. Food sellers have been reducing short-dated food ever since food has been sold, and there are thousands of supermarkets. Every conceivable alternative has been trialled already. Turns out that letting the 'vultures' have everything maximises profit and minimises waste. They're not Robin Hood, they're not a food bank, they're not there to be moral guardians. The only real issue that arises that should concern them is the wellbeing of their staff.
fanpages35 m ago

Keeping two freezers running solely for reduced price items.Makes …Keeping two freezers running solely for reduced price items.Makes sense.Meme.etc.

It does when one freezer was free and it doesn't cost that much to run. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to chicken and will only buy free range. Two free range chicken breasts cost about £4 but I can get a whole free range chicken for about a fiver. That means I get the drumsticks wings thighs and stock for a quid. More than pays for itself
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants