Groups
    EXPIRED

CRT monitor died What is a flat screen equivalent?

My iiyama 454 19" CRT died and i am dreading getting a new monitor.

I like having 4:3 dimensions as i read websites etc more than play games and find widescreen too short.
    Are there any 4:3 flat screens available or am i stuck with looking at 16:10 models?

Flat screens used to be bad at displaying resolutions which are different to the native showing obvious "jaggies".
    Is this still true?
    Do i need to look for a more expensive display technology (IPS etc) to avoid this?

It would be good to hear from a recent CRT owner if there any still around that had to move to flat screen.

Budget is stretching up to £400 but obvious i am expecting something around the £250 mark unless the expensive one offers more screen height or jaggy reduction technology

15 Comments

the other way to look at it is a 23" wide screen will have a similar amount of vertical space as your 19"
    with flat screen you use the native resolution (or you get blur/jaggies) and change the font or scaling options (or both) within windows.
    there are screens which will turn portrait and give you a nice layout for reading, great if you have room for 2 monitors.
    IPS screens are nicer to watch films on for sure , but for day to day , a sub 100 quid would do.

I've been throwing a few CRT monitors out to the tip recently . I still like them but they take up a bit more room than the flat screen equivalents. I bought a new Panasonic G5 CRT monitor from PCWorld many ,many years ago , that cost £500 , that's what they were all those years ago, that was in perfect condition too . It went to the tip too. I have one left to go the the tip , a 19" CRT bought from Adli a few years ago . Absolutely mint condition and in perfect working order . If you want it ,you can have it for free . Dont know where you are ,but I'm in the North East .

Original Poster

beavisrules

the other way to look at it is a 23" wide screen will have a similar … the other way to look at it is a 23" wide screen will have a similar amount of vertical space as your 19" with flat screen you use the native resolution (or you get blur/jaggies) and change the font or scaling options (or both) within windows.there are screens which will turn portrait and give you a nice layout for reading, great if you have room for 2 monitors.IPS screens are nicer to watch films on for sure , but for day to day , a sub 100 quid would do.

Thanks beavis,
    Always use the native resolution but change the scaling options got it.

Thanks for the tip for 23" upwards being the same height.
    It annoys me that i am going to have all that dead space left and right of the screen.

24" seem to be were the market is at the moment looking at scan.
    So that will cover the height annoyance.

Original Poster

ricko

I've been throwing a few CRT monitors out to the tip recently . I still … I've been throwing a few CRT monitors out to the tip recently . I still like them but they take up a bit more room than the flat screen equivalents. I bought a new Panasonic G5 CRT monitor from PCWorld many ,many years ago , that cost £500 , that's what they were all those years ago, that was in perfect condition too . It went to the tip too. I have one left to go the the tip , a 19" CRT bought from Adli a few years ago . Absolutely mint condition and in perfect working order . If you want it ,you can have it for free . Dont know where you are ,but I'm in the North East .

Thanks but aldi is not going to be as good as my old iiyama.

North west here.

Original Poster

Looking at scan there does seem to be a fair amount of 16:10 monitors out there which is of some comfort.

trott3r

Thanks beavis, Always use the native resolution but change the scaling … Thanks beavis, Always use the native resolution but change the scaling options got it.Thanks for the tip for 23" upwards being the same height.It annoys me that i am going to have all that dead space left and right of the screen.24" seem to be were the market is at the moment looking at scan.So that will cover the height annoyance.

Not really dead space, lots of websites will expand to the width of the window, so the lines of text will be longer etc. Some have a different layout altogether for larger screens. Alternatively you can use the space to the side for toolbars, start bar etc.

Its all nonsense - crt are bad for your eyes - buy an led monitor with Response time of 2 ms or less - everything else can be ignored.

trott3r

Thanks beavis, Always use the native resolution but change the scaling … Thanks beavis, Always use the native resolution but change the scaling options got it.Thanks for the tip for 23" upwards being the same height.It annoys me that i am going to have all that dead space left and right of the screen.24" seem to be were the market is at the moment looking at scan.So that will cover the height annoyance.

I will be honest and admit I still have a CRT that I can't bring myself to throw out. I agree with the obsession about widescreen monitors but you get used to it fairly quickly. It's a shame 4:3 has all but disappeared.

What res were you used to on the CRT? If anything, you'll want something that is fairly close to what you were used to using so you don't feel like you have lost out on desktop space as if there monitor is physically larger but you have less stuff able to be displayed on it then you will regret the move.

As has been said a lot of TFT monitors can be rotated (quite easily) to give you the best of both worlds. You can get scripts to load on your desktop by double clicking to change it 90degrees and back and rotate as you require. Another advantage I found over old school screens is the side by side function in later windows versions as demonstrated below. I find it very useful when doing some writing, data input or even just holiday hunting as it allows you to keep the browser page open while putting notes on a pad or comparing 2 products side by side.

http://images.ntwind.com/windowspace2/snap-to-side-2.jpg

As you can see, there is a plus side, just needs to think outside the box.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-X3gFXDokrFE/T9Qs8ZULfaI/AAAAAAAACiw/Iw8GxSrp9ss/s1600/2012_06WIdeScreen_WastedSpace.jpg

Original Poster

Astec123

I will be honest and admit I still have a CRT that I can't bring myself … I will be honest and admit I still have a CRT that I can't bring myself to throw out. I agree with the obsession about widescreen monitors but you get used to it fairly quickly. It's a shame 4:3 has all but disappeared. What res were you used to on the CRT? If anything, you'll want something that is fairly close to what you were used to using so you don't feel like you have lost out on desktop space as if there monitor is physically larger but you have less stuff able to be displayed on it then you will regret the move.As has been said a lot of TFT monitors can be rotated (quite easily) to give you the best of both worlds. You can get scripts to load on your desktop by double clicking to change it 90degrees and back and rotate as you require. Another advantage I found over old school screens is the side by side function in later windows versions as demonstrated below. I find it very useful when doing some writing, data input or even just holiday hunting as it allows you to keep the browser page open while putting notes on a pad or comparing 2 products side by side. As you can see, there is a plus side, just needs to think outside the box.

I used 1280 x1024 on a 19" crt.

It looks like i will need 23" wide screen or above to the vertical height of my crt.

I hate that snap together feature of win7 and have turned it off as it seemed to activate when i didnt want it.
    Edited by: "trott3r" 22nd Jun 2014

Original Poster

foes4you

Its all nonsense - crt are bad for your eyes - buy an led monitor with … Its all nonsense - crt are bad for your eyes - buy an led monitor with Response time of 2 ms or less - everything else can be ignored.

I can only assume you mean older crts that had a refresh rate of less than 85hz.
    Newer crts support up into the 100hz range.

Flat screen scaling isn't really a function of LCD matrix type but of the quality of the scaling chip the screen uses. Although most graphics cards give you the option to scale the picture before sending it to the screen so tend to get a fairly good baseline.

If you want as much vertical resolution as possible then you may be able to find a 2560x1440 screen under your £400 budget, although as you use a low resolution on your CRT you may find the DPI a little high on the 27" models. BenQ do a 32" MVA version but it's currently about £450, although as screen resolutions are currently shifting prices may come down.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

AeroSnap is one of the best features introduced in Windows 7 IMO. Does my … AeroSnap is one of the best features introduced in Windows 7 IMO. Does my head in when using Vista at work and it doesn't have it.I run dual monitors so it makes it incredibly easy to multitask with 4 windows in seconds. I use the shortcuts though, much quicker.Windows + Arrow (will snap to, left = left, right = right, up = maximise, down = minimise)Windows + Shift + Arrow (will move to next monitor)

Does that work with it turned off in accessibility settings?
    Would be ok if it was a keyboard shortcut only

I hate hoarding, but i also hate throwing out perfectly working goods (i just feel wastefull). I have 2 CRT monitors that im going to have to throw out this week as im moving out on Friday IIRC they are 15/17" - one is a compaq and the other i cant remember the make, possibly HP.

[if anyone wants them feel free to PM me - I am in west Yorkshire]

trott3r

I can only assume you mean older crts that had a refresh rate of less … I can only assume you mean older crts that had a refresh rate of less than 85hz.Newer crts support up into the 100hz range.

If you dont mind electron beams firing onto the screen and theoretically being stopped by the metal grid on its surface ... hell be my guest.

Original Poster

In the end i went with a benQ 2411pt 16:10
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Laser eye surgery44
      2. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2546
      3. Fitbit watch/band33
      4. Which Pond Pump57

See more discussions