Cruise control on VAG car

Banned 21 replies
Found 9th May 2011
When you lower the speed is it braking or just taking the gas off, if so does the brake light come on? Sure it's in the manual but just thought I would add cruise control is awesome! I can just fall asleep at the wheel even easier now.

21 Comments

I have never liked CC on our roads. There's never a time when you stick at the same speed long enough to make it worth while. I guess it might be ok driving during the night.

gavjbrown

I have never liked CC on our roads. There's never a time when you stick … I have never liked CC on our roads. There's never a time when you stick at the same speed long enough to make it worth while. I guess it might be ok driving during the night.

Except for when you leave for work at 5:00 in the morning Oh, and when I drove in France for 100's of miles continuous on their motorways where you have to play 'spot another car'!

But on the whole I agree it's not much use on our roads.

best use here is average speed cameras, has saved me a few points lol

On a VAG car like most the standard cruise control just reduces power to allow you to slow down.... unless you have the Adaptive Cruise Control which is an extra on the latest gen premium models.

Rick
Edited by: "RickT" 12th May 2011

I'm with you gavbrown (can't quote for some reason)

Not had much chance to use CC in daily life.

My dads car has cruise control and indeed doesn't use the brake lights when slowing down using the system. My dad always uses the brakes if slowing down for this reasons (the CC is automatically turned off when he presses on any of the pedals).

It will be down to the individual model of the car on the features of the CC so double check the manual. We have had 35K 4x4, a 20k estate and a 10k family saloon all with CC and none have used the braking lights when slowing down using the CC system.

Original Poster Banned

Just read 80% of the manual (boring) and just says it slows the car down, doesn't say how. Guess I'll have to get on my motorbike while the wife drives

Cruise control used in the UK is a waste of space, far too much traffic.

Inactive

Cruise control used in the UK is a waste of space, far too much traffic.

It's useless in cities but out in the sticks it's handy, my dad regularly uses motorways and dual carriageways and can easily do 30 miles without turning the CC off. As long as you're at the correct speed for the road and you're aware of cars around you, you shouldn't need to change your speed.

It controls the amount of fuel entering the engine which is managed via the engine ECU. It does not brake for you.

Original Poster Banned

I'm intrigued....I like to know how things work...already downloaded the work shop manuals but I'm banned from working on it for a year while it's still under warranty.

lumoruk

Just read 80% of the manual (boring) and just says it slows the car down, … Just read 80% of the manual (boring) and just says it slows the car down, doesn't say how. Guess I'll have to get on my motorbike while the wife drives

Which model of VAG car is it and I will tell you.

Some of the VAG range do use the brake's the slow when the active CC is enabled......

faevilangel

It's useless in cities but out in the sticks it's handy, my dad regularly … It's useless in cities but out in the sticks it's handy, my dad regularly uses motorways and dual carriageways and can easily do 30 miles without turning the CC off. As long as you're at the correct speed for the road and you're aware of cars around you, you shouldn't need to change your speed.

I do not believe you.

Original Poster Banned

Inactive

I do not believe you.

Is possible, I was using the cruise control to slow down and speed up according to the traffic ahead. Was like playing my Xbox

lumoruk

Is possible, I was using the cruise control to slow down and speed up … Is possible, I was using the cruise control to slow down and speed up according to the traffic ahead. Was like playing my Xbox

Not for 30 miles...

Original Poster Banned

Inactive

Not for 30 miles...

Will try on a wedding I'm going to in July will update then

It is do-able for long stretches (with practise) on a quiet motorway. I've done 30 mins at a time easily without touching the pedals - just the odd adjustment on the buttons on the stalk

Inactive

Not for 30 miles...

I agree, I managed 29.9 miles with no problems then...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_if_t1-M0Xvk/SUJEXXItAwI/AAAAAAAAAEU/KEwxLKBAT9E/s400/car+house.JPG

Edited by: "jiminym" 11th May 2011

tallpete33

It is do-able for long stretches (with practise) on a quiet motorway. … It is do-able for long stretches (with practise) on a quiet motorway. I've done 30 mins at a time easily without touching the pedals - just the odd adjustment on the buttons on the stalk

If you need to adjust the controls repeatedly it is hardly " Cruise Control ", you may as well just use the foot pedals.(_;)

Inactive

Not for 30 miles...

You can do it for 30 miles depending where and when your driving.

Adaptive cruise control FTW (_;)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Foo fighters presale code.3642
    2. Mobile WiFi calling?22
    3. Can you improve my PC build?44
    4. Tomtop Xiaomi Mi A1 deal removed432

See more discussions