Groups

Cupboard gap between cooker

Hi Just having a new kitchen put in by our HA. Quick question is there some legislation that dictates how far away cupboards must be from the cooker it's next to?

Just asking as previously cooker was nigh on mm perfect so no wasted space. The new gap they've left is 64cm, they've then put a 32cm wide cupboard in on the left leaving that stupid gap between the cupboard & wall as in photo to follow

Thanks all

43 Comments

Original Poster

https://s30.postimg.org/ma7g9efr5/20161212_183524.jpg

Not to mention the missing cupboard to the upper right that's not going in which just looks daft lol and that high level cupboard doesn't line up to the cupboard below nor the cooker

Edited by: "Rich44" 12th Dec 2016

No, no regulations, and no need to leave a gap, especially with the end panels you have fitted either side.

Very easy for them to correct though, just a couple of screws.

kitchenstyle.co.uk/faq/ - under Q: How far does a high level kitchen cabinet have to be away from a cooker hob?

Although it depends on whether you have an electric or gas hob.

Should allow for a 60cm cooker, I've got a 60cm cooker and it fits perfect no gap, I think the gap is 4cm to wide but doesn't really matter, can leave a gap.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 12th Dec 2016

Rich44

Not to mention the missing cupboard to the upper right that's not going … Not to mention the missing cupboard to the upper right that's not going in which just looks daft lol and that high level cupboard doesn't line up to the cupboard below nor the cooker

​are you talking about the Base unit?
    the wall unit must not encroach over the cooker.
    I would move everything to the left so that the left hand wall and Base units line up

Original Poster

Thanks for clarifying that, that was exactly my thoughts on the whole silly situation.

They've also stuck a 600mm cupboard in an alcove 940mm wide & there's an 800mm double cupboard sitting on the floor, there's now a 700mm gap between 1 cupboard & window where that 600mm one could be giving us a triple cupboard where we had a triple before.

Guess getting the project manager out in the morning.....

Not amused, well I am a bit, it's all just a bit silly isn't it

Original Poster

Oh that high level cupboard is 170mm between it & the cooker (roughly) so well clear & then some.

At the moment you're going to have that high level wall unit a big gap then cooker hood, then a different size gap with that floor cabinet between the cooker & fridge freezer.

Just seems rather bonkers to me.

Not sure about all the plans - possibly socket on the right side for fridge/freezer?

You don't need gaps between cabinet and cooker (the less gap the less carp that can accidentally get in between IMHO) but needs to be sufficient to allow removal of the cooker (pull out)

What I have concerns with in the image is the height of the cooker compared to the height of the units (excluding kitchen work surface) - with the work surface included they should all be at the same level - the cooker shouldn't be lower as heat could cause a fire risk - if anything the cooker should be higher if not level

that can't be right. have they fixed them or just placed them there.
    it looks daft oO

Original Poster

That's how it is all screwed down. I just found an offcut of worktop outside & put it on top of the cupboard see what you think

https://s29.postimg.org/85i1z4eh3/20161212_192310.jpg

Your cooker is on adjustable feet, they will level it I am sure!

When my council put new kitchens in they did the exact same thing, big gaps round the cooker and fridge freezer. Worse still a half depth cupboard and work top behind the door when a standard one would of gone in. I told the council I could of done a better job with a knife and fork, everything they touched they ruined.

I am guessing the gap on the right is a Washer/Dishwasher. If you shove everything over to the right (Leaving the gap for the washer), What is the final gap to the left? You might find they have spread them out so they don't have to put larger units in or bespoke cabinet.
    Looks like a poor job whichever way you slice it.

Banned

That looks hideous. Get a cooker built into the units. Looks so much better.

I am really sorry but that just looks awful, I just hope it turns out better. There is no reason they cannot fit up against the cooker.

Original Poster

Yeah I can afford to go buy a new cooker to match the bloody kitchen ffs, honestly!

Right corner is fridge freezer they've left that much larger than it needs to be too. I measured the slightly larger cupboard they put in other end of the kitchen would've fitted in that corner, push everything left leaves a bigger gap next to fridge freezer all in one place instead of different size gaps everywhere.

Going to work out something like

Cupboard on right on wall about 180mm gap between that & cooker hood then another much bigger gap the other side between cooker hood & fridge freezer.

It would've worked much better had they pushed things left a bit, put wider cupboard on left then fitted matching wall cupboard on right of cooker so it goes

Cupboard/cooker hood/cupboard/fridgefreezer

With no stupid gaps.

Theyre not even following the plans so time to put a stop on things.

I think they've done it on purpose this close to Christmas hoping we'll just panic & say oh we'll just have to live with it now because it's Christmas.

Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's thoughts & comments, it's cleared something up for me & that I'm not just being silly.

Thanks everyone once again

We shall see what happens tomorrow...

Wish we'd said no to it now, got no Christmas decorations up & don't feel very festive, oh well things can only get better, eh?

Original Poster

Robj1

Your cooker is on adjustable feet, they will level it I am sure!

Yeah lol unfortunately despite latexing the floor it's so on the wonk there's no play left in the feet to get the thing straight

Is there no kitchen plan?

Rich44

Yeah lol unfortunately despite latexing the floor it's so on the wonk … Yeah lol unfortunately despite latexing the floor it's so on the wonk there's no play left in the feet to get the thing straight

​Sit it on plywood maybe? might give you a bit more to play with.

I'm due a new kitchen soon and wondering if you have a dishwasher currently OP. If you don't, did they ask if you wanted a kitchen fitted to have one in the future?

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss212/Yashido/Epicly%20Animated%20Other/horrified1.gif

Original Poster

PenguinsForAll

I'm due a new kitchen soon and wondering if you have a dishwasher … I'm due a new kitchen soon and wondering if you have a dishwasher currently OP. If you don't, did they ask if you wanted a kitchen fitted to have one in the future?

​We have got a dishwasher already, they left the old washing machine stand drain in & also fitted dual waste pipes on sink in kitchen too for good measure.

Theyre pretty reasonable about that so I'm sure if you ask they'll help you out.

Latest today is decorator has been in, made a real mess of the light switch where he's cut the tiles to fit, it looks awful!

Cupboards have been swapped but 800mm cupboard no one noticed has a massive chunk knocked out of it.....

Decorator took out can of dulux mix station stuff & has put that straight onto fresh plaster, no undercoat & now needs another can at £25 grrr

Seriously tho some of the plaster is still damp & he's painted it, he's also painted the ceiling despite the fact new lights haven't been fitted yet.

Sigh, project lead coming out tomorrow she's most unluckiest woman alive she crashed her car last week & this week the car she's in Grove down, their delivery truck also broke down, excuses or just bad luck

Original Poster

https://s27.postimg.org/it1azpnbn/20161213_172917.jpg

Rich44

​We have got a dishwasher already, they left the old washing machine s … ​We have got a dishwasher already, they left the old washing machine stand drain in & also fitted dual waste pipes on sink in kitchen too for good measure. Theyre pretty reasonable about that so I'm sure if you ask they'll help you out. Latest today is decorator has been in, made a real mess of the light switch where he's cut the tiles to fit, it looks awful! Cupboards have been swapped but 800mm cupboard no one noticed has a massive chunk knocked out of it..... Decorator took out can of dulux mix station stuff & has put that straight onto fresh plaster, no undercoat & now needs another can at £25 grrrSeriously tho some of the plaster is still damp & he's painted it, he's also painted the ceiling despite the fact new lights haven't been fitted yet. Sigh, project lead coming out tomorrow she's most unluckiest woman alive she crashed her car last week & this week the car she's in Grove down, their delivery truck also broke down, excuses or just bad luck:{

New plaster should have 2 coats of watered down matt emulsion, 1st coat approx 50:50, 2nd coat 70:30, then final coat of desired finish, matt, soft sheen or silk emulsion.
    There are different methods, PVA or 'proper' new plaster sealer (expensive option), but any decorator worth there salt knows you don't put straight emulsion onto freshly plastered wall, which co-incidentally should have had at least 4/5 days to dry out naturally.

Shame too, that 1st photo shows the plasterer has done a decent job.

I personally left mines for a week then used above watered down matt emulsion method.

Are you paying a contractor for this new kitchen....?

Edited by: "andynicol" 13th Dec 2016

Rich44

Is that new or existing tiles...?

Rich44

They would have been easier taking it from the wall and moving it about an inch up... shoddy worksmanship

Original Poster

andynicol

Is that new or existing tiles...?

Those tiles went on today

Original Poster

onepinkbit

They would have been easier taking it from the wall and moving it about … They would have been easier taking it from the wall and moving it about an inch up... shoddy worksmanship

Exactly what I said when I saw it, right bodge

Original Poster

andynicol

New plaster should have 2 coats of watered down matt emulsion, 1st coat … New plaster should have 2 coats of watered down matt emulsion, 1st coat approx 50:50, 2nd coat 70:30, then final coat of desired finish, matt, soft sheen or silk emulsion.There are different methods, PVA or 'proper' new plaster sealer (expensive option), but any decorator worth there salt knows you don't put straight emulsion onto freshly plastered wall, which co-incidentally should have had at least 4/5 days to dry out naturally.Shame too, that 1st photo shows the plasterer has done a decent job.I personally left mines for a week then used above watered down matt emulsion method.Are you paying a contractor for this new kitchen....?

Plasterer did a sterling job, looked amazing shame everyone else doesn't care.

Housing association house so they're paying for it, we'll thru the rent we pay.

Is the HA aware of the incompetent 'tradesman' there paying for?

Original Poster

It's all organised with all different subbies coming in the parent company lead is coming in tomorrow once she's seen it I'll be passing the whole sorry mess along including:

Arriving at 8am & swearing in front of my kids

Complaining they couldn't get parked closer (live on top of a hill no car access for last 50m)

Argued over paint, decorator said I'm painting white that's what I've been told, despite it being cleared to use our paint

Reduction in usable cupboard space

The tiling issue above, green paint in the grout & down sides of new cupboards

Damaged cupboards

6 days notice to clear the room instead of the 3 weeks I was promised (am disabled so needed more time to move stuff)

Really hate to moan about this stuff as they are putting a new kitchen in & it's petty compared to what other people have to deal with but equally going to have to live with this until/if we move house.

Oh well see what tomorrow brings, thanks everyone for your replies & opinions.

Looks like an episode of cowboy builders the local ha need to get a grip and get it sorted

HA have their own rules. They always leave a gap with extra space for cooker and washing machine. They will try to give you the least amount of cupboards that they can get away with to save money.

I had my kitchen done a couple years ago now (Council house) and the job they did was fantastic, double checking everything and having the work checked at the end of every day to make sure it was correct and that I was happy. I guess it is down to what council you have.

Original Poster

dereklogan7

HA have their own rules. They always leave a gap with extra space for … HA have their own rules. They always leave a gap with extra space for cooker and washing machine. They will try to give you the least amount of cupboards that they can get away with to save money.

​They haven't left extra space in the dishwasher nor washing machine spaces they're just the right size. Previous kitchen here wasn't like that hence why I was asking if it was some kind of new law.

One of the excuses was its incase you change to a gas cooker....

There isn't a gas pipe within 10 miles of here & we live at the top of a hill with no car access so bottles are a no go too,plus the exterior wall the cookers now on has a 20 foot drop on the other side due to the hill so no bottles there either.

I know they try to get away with what they can but the fact is they've put the cupboards just stupid size ones. Measuring the interior width of those cupboards they're 30cm each you can fit 1 big pan & 1 little pan in each then something little on the shelf above.

Got loads of drawers now, more drawers than we know what to do with lol.

The plans we got showed a photo of a mixer tap & they've given us normal ones too.

Just gone into kitchen now & I know it only went on today but it's peeling off already & not cooked in there yet making steam etc so that's £25 of dulux kitchen paint wasted don't know how they'll fix that now, sand it back?

What an utter nightmare.

Just emailed the housing officer to see if I can get hold of her.....

See what tomorrow brings yay!
    Edited by: "Rich44" 14th Dec 2016

what's the latest, hope you have managed to get a few issues resolved.

Dominic littlewood is on the case

Original Poster

Some of its been resolved, the worktop is to be cut down to give 60cm width between the worktops for the cooker but they're saying the cupboards have to be so wide in case Transco decide to invest billions & put gas mains in & we then decide to go buy a gas cooker....

Anyway gave up on that one.

Landlord came out today they're not amused over the bodged up light switch tiling, the coving round an old aerial socket & some other bits so they're going to tell the kitchen guys to put it right. They may also replace the cupboard to left of the cooker with a much wider one to fill the gap in more, then any gap left will have a plinth made up then a shelf above it to make it usable.

The missing cupboards don't look like they're gonna arrive until mid January

We've had a second decorator out as we threw the other one out for painting straight onto bare plaster so our £25 a can kitchen paint just started falling off the wall, no undercoat, mist coat... New decorator has sanded it back a bit & put a second coat on, he's not too confident it'll stick because of the lack of a mist coat but it's the best he can do so we'll see not sure what will happen if this falls off?

There's a massive scratch on new worktop so they're talking about getting someone out to repair it, I'd have thought replacing it would be more sensible but whatever.

After a load of stress, lies, blame etc people finally seem to accept the work wasn't good enough.

Unfortunately the day after he finished work the fitter started his Xmas hols, the decorator started today, the sparky leaves tomorrow as I said I think everyone was just rushing because they're so close to their 2 week shutdown for Christmas & they cocked it up.
    Edited by: "Rich44" 15th Dec 2016

Banned

You are hiring complete clowns! I hope no money has been exchanged yet, I'd hold on to any cash until I was happy with the job done. And by the pictures you've shown here, it looks a complete joke.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Rain effect window. The one from FRIENDS! Please help!89
      2. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.44
      3. Which Kodi Add-ons?1516
      4. How to rejoin BT as New Customer when already with them?67

See more discussions