Expired

Curious - why do you celebrate Christmas, bring a tree into your house and put up lights?

Found 19th Dec 2017
Doing a dissertation on celebrations and wanted to understand why people celebrate Christmas despite not following Christianity (bit difficult to say there's no relation between the two given the word Christ is in Christmas).

Do people ever ponder on this kind of question or are they just following the crowds? Or has it just become a commercial venture?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Although most may or may not follow Christianity, most have links with Christianity through ancestors and they're just carrying on tradition and the celebrations. Its harmless and great for the kids. Family exchange gifts and get together to eat a big roast. Christmas tree and lights are pleasant to the eye and the kids love it too.

So to answer your question, most are from Christian families, whether they follow Christianity or not.

Why does everyone get drunk as a skunk at Christmas is a better question to ask.
philmitchell40 m ago

I only do Christmas because I have children .Would not bother otherwise .

...plus you'll get to see all the inlaws & outlaws at the next wedding or funeral anyway.

@Dakota777

"...Christmas despite not following Christianity (bit difficult to say there's no relation between the two given the word Christ is in Christmas)..."

Slaughter contains laughter too.
deleted1416210
I'm Pagan and it's both traditional and sacred to bring evergreens into the house in the run up to the Winter Solstice.
We also collect a Yule log which we will burn on the evening of the solstice.
We don't celebrate Christmas, we celebrate Yuletide.
I often ponder the question of people celebrating 'Christmas' to me it seems completely bizarre whether they be 'Christian' or not, given the real pagan origins of the celebration, but hey ho..... People follow the flock and I suppose lots of made-up stories, food and gifts is enough to allow most people to wallow in their ignorance.
religion has nothing to do with it in my house. Between the ages of 1-13/14 Xmas is a magical time, you get presents, see loads of family, eat loads of awesome food, have no school, no cares, no worries. You just enjoy yourself. So I try to do as much as I can to make my kids Xmas ones to remember.

Loads of presents, not overboard or super expensive mind, just seeing them happy makes me happy.

When you are older, Xmas is great because you can drink in the morning, not have work for a week or more, see a few family members, play xbox all day and enjoy yourself.
129 Comments
I know people of assorted faiths who do it because it's fun and glittery and as they live in the UK, you've got the day off anyhow.

For instance, in Malaysia, you get a public holiday for Chinese New Year, Hari Raya (Eid), Deepavali (Diwali) and Christmas. The shops get equally decked out, and it's easy to celebrate as you've got the day off.

People here are so used to not getting the day off for the non-Christmas religions, that when I mentioned the concept of having the day off here, the young British born adults here are normally surprised, never considering "trading" say Easter or one of the other bank holidays for Eid or Diwali or Chinese New Year.
Wasn't the tree idea brought over from Germany
Although most may or may not follow Christianity, most have links with Christianity through ancestors and they're just carrying on tradition and the celebrations. Its harmless and great for the kids. Family exchange gifts and get together to eat a big roast. Christmas tree and lights are pleasant to the eye and the kids love it too.

So to answer your question, most are from Christian families, whether they follow Christianity or not.

Why does everyone get drunk as a skunk at Christmas is a better question to ask.
We celebrate Christmas but without the tree or decorations, though we put the cards up for a while.
I only do Christmas because I have children .

Would not bother otherwise .
philmitchell6 m ago

I ?

Doesn't your wife/partner have a say in it?
airfix5 m ago

I ? Doesn't your wife/partner have a say in it?

We both have are own minds .
rincewynd629 m ago

Wasn't the tree idea brought over from Germany

I thought it came from saturnalia
Trees and lights indoors are nothing to do with christianity, they are both pagan symbols.
philmitchell40 m ago

...plus you'll get to see all the inlaws & outlaws at the next wedding or funeral anyway.

@Dakota777

"...Christmas despite not following Christianity (bit difficult to say there's no relation between the two given the word Christ is in Christmas)..."

Slaughter contains laughter too.
there is far too much religion creeping into Christmas in my opinion.
deleted1416210
I'm Pagan and it's both traditional and sacred to bring evergreens into the house in the run up to the Winter Solstice.
We also collect a Yule log which we will burn on the evening of the solstice.
We don't celebrate Christmas, we celebrate Yuletide.
I often ponder the question of people celebrating 'Christmas' to me it seems completely bizarre whether they be 'Christian' or not, given the real pagan origins of the celebration, but hey ho..... People follow the flock and I suppose lots of made-up stories, food and gifts is enough to allow most people to wallow in their ignorance.
hotukdeals.com/dis…301

might be worth having a look at this recent thread which went on to answer your question , with answersfrom quite a few people.
religion has nothing to do with it in my house. Between the ages of 1-13/14 Xmas is a magical time, you get presents, see loads of family, eat loads of awesome food, have no school, no cares, no worries. You just enjoy yourself. So I try to do as much as I can to make my kids Xmas ones to remember.

Loads of presents, not overboard or super expensive mind, just seeing them happy makes me happy.

When you are older, Xmas is great because you can drink in the morning, not have work for a week or more, see a few family members, play xbox all day and enjoy yourself.
PrincessJellybean7 m ago

I'm Pagan and it's both traditional and sacred to bring evergreens into …I'm Pagan and it's both traditional and sacred to bring evergreens into the house in the run up to the Winter Solstice. We also collect a Yule log which we will burn on the evening of the solstice. We don't celebrate Christmas, we celebrate Yuletide.I often ponder the question of people celebrating 'Christmas' to me it seems completely bizarre whether they be 'Christian' or not, given the real pagan origins of the celebration, but hey ho..... People follow the flock and I suppose lots of made-up stories, food and gifts is enough to allow most people to wallow in their ignorance.

Hello PJB , fancy seeing you here, hope you've had a good year Did your trees and woodland survive the evil landlord
coys6729 m ago

Trees and lights indoors are nothing to do with christianity, they are …Trees and lights indoors are nothing to do with christianity, they are both pagan symbols.

What I heard from a Christian was that romans first celebrated the exchange of gifts and decoration indoors. But protestant Christians in Germany were the first to start decorating Christmas trees indoors to celebrate the upcoming spring, however it has nothing to do with religion. and it followed on from then on wards.

It doesn't state in the bible anywhere that its forbidden to erect a Christmas tree or lights indoors.

Erecting a Christmas tree indoors has no religious or spiritual significance whatsoever.

I guess people started to do it to Celebrate Christmas with a bit of a bling going on.

Now I suspect most do it for their kids since most people are becoming wise to the fact religion is all man made.
deleted1416210
tinkerbellian7 m ago

Hello PJB , fancy seeing you here, hope you've had a good year Did …Hello PJB , fancy seeing you here, hope you've had a good year Did your trees and woodland survive the evil landlord

Hello
.... Haha, yes.... We won for now! So the woodland is safe from those posh holiday homes for now at least
I don't pop in here as often as I did, I've changed my consumerist ways..hehe...just really about for the flamedeer comp, some decent prizes that could be used for charity fundraising.
PrincessJellybean6 m ago

Hello .... Haha, yes.... We won for now! So the woodland is safe from …Hello .... Haha, yes.... We won for now! So the woodland is safe from those posh holiday homes for now at least I don't pop in here as often as I did, I've changed my consumerist ways..hehe...just really about for the flamedeer comp, some decent prizes that could be used for charity fundraising.

Aaah good to hear your trees are still there , well if I don't see you on another thread have a wonderful Yuletide x
deleted1416210
tinkerbellian2 m ago

Aaah good to hear your trees are still there , well if I don't see you on …Aaah good to hear your trees are still there , well if I don't see you on another thread have a wonderful Yuletide x

Thankyou..... And likewise, enjoy any seasonal celebrations you may have too
The Bandwagon effect!
I think the recent(20 years) attacks in the name of religion have put people off being associated with any religion, which is a shame because it makes them look like they are winning, god help the UK in the future
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 15 m ago

I thought it came from saturnalia

coys6755 m ago

Trees and lights indoors are nothing to do with christianity, they are …Trees and lights indoors are nothing to do with christianity, they are both pagan symbols.

This^

Moonwolf197612 m ago

The Bandwagon effect!

and this ^

and

32826789-ggGJL.jpg
Jesus was actually born in the summer according to historians.
Wongy1108 m ago

This^and this ^and [Image]

I'm Catholic so it has religious meaning for me ( yes I know Christ wasn't born in December) but I also enjoy giving stuff and seeing people happy and that's what I try do at Christmas, stop for a little while and spend time with and appreciate my relatives and the decorations look pretty
PrincessJellybean56 m ago

I'm Pagan and it's both traditional and sacred to bring evergreens into …I'm Pagan and it's both traditional and sacred to bring evergreens into the house in the run up to the Winter Solstice. We also collect a Yule log which we will burn on the evening of the solstice. We don't celebrate Christmas, we celebrate Yuletide.I often ponder the question of people celebrating 'Christmas' to me it seems completely bizarre whether they be 'Christian' or not, given the real pagan origins of the celebration, but hey ho..... People follow the flock and I suppose lots of made-up stories, food and gifts is enough to allow most people to wallow in their ignorance.

Claims to be pagan, calls other people's stuff made up, bit stupid that
Mandz274 m ago

but I also enjoy giving stuff and seeing people happy and that's what I …but I also enjoy giving stuff and seeing people happy and that's what I try do at Christmas

^ This ain’t true. You still haven’t given me pupz and that makes me sad.
We're just so damned civilised these days with trees and tinsel etc. IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS our towns folk would mount up and track down and relieve some Northumbrians of their heads and stick them on trees. Much more "earthy"
deleted1416210
Segata-Sanshiro30 m ago

Claims to be pagan, calls other people's stuff made up, bit stupid that

'stuff'?, What have I said that is made-up?
I worship nature...I think you will find nature is real.....lol
Edited by: "deleted1416210" 19th Dec 2017
“ (bit difficult to say there's no relation between the two given the word Christ is in Christmas).“

That’s like saying there is a relationship between turds and Saturday.
Biddy235 m ago

^ This ain’t true. You still haven’t given me pupz and that makes me sad. …^ This ain’t true. You still haven’t given me pupz and that makes me sad.

Send me address I will send pups.....well a stuffed one anyway
Biddy22 m ago

“ (bit difficult to say there's no relation between the two given the word …“ (bit difficult to say there's no relation between the two given the word Christ is in Christmas).“That’s like saying there is a relationship between turds and Saturday.

Depends what kind of Friday night you've had
deleted1416210
Biddy25 m ago

“ (bit difficult to say there's no relation between the two given the word …“ (bit difficult to say there's no relation between the two given the word Christ is in Christmas).“That’s like saying there is a relationship between turds and Saturday.

Interestingly enough someone mentioned earlier Saturnalia.... Which is the festival of the 'God' Saturn. Saturday is named after that 'God'... Saturn's day
Edited by: "deleted1416210" 19th Dec 2017
I decorate my Christmas tree with my great grandmother’s antique glass baubles.

I love that I inherited them and that they’re enjoyed and showcased every year.

Christmas time is about family and tradition, and my tree brings it all together.

It also smells like Christmas once the tree is up
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 19th Dec 2017
deleted1416210
sicklysweet2 m ago

I decorate my Christmas tree with my great grandmother’s antique glass b …I decorate my Christmas tree with my great grandmother’s antique glass baubles.I love that I inherited them and that they’re enjoyed and showcased every year. Christmas time is about family and tradition, and my tree brings it all together. It also smells like Christmas once the tree is up

Yes, it's that special time of the year for me when I have smelt fir, and satsumas.... Satsumas smell so festive..hehe
Mandz2713 m ago

Depends what kind of Friday night you've had

32828305-Si5JH.jpg

Mandz2714 m ago

Send me address I will send pups.

Yay.

Oh. Wait.

Mandz2714 m ago

Send me address I will send pups.....well a stuffed one anyway

32828305-eMjIV.jpg
PrincessJellybean13 m ago

Interestingly enough someone mentioned earlier Saturnalia.... Which is the …Interestingly enough someone mentioned earlier Saturnalia.... Which is the festival of the 'God' Saturn. Saturday is named after that 'God'... Saturn's day

So I need to celebrate going poopy?
Biddy27 m ago

[Image] Yay. Oh. Wait. [Image]

It's a compromise!
Mandz273 m ago

It's a compromise!

32828551-Jae8G.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants