Posted 19 September 2022

Curry smell from cooking

hi,
I live in a small apartment with no kitchen windows.
whenever I cook curries the house and hung up clothes smell of curry.

although I have tried opening the windows in the whole apartment,
does anyone have any ideas and tips please on protect the home and fabrics from curry smell.

thank you for your input
Community Updates
New Comment

37 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Don’t hang up the clothes when you’re cooking?
    Author
    Well, although it may make sense. We have many clothes hung up, which can be a nuisance to assort.

Regardless, the apartment will still smell of the odour. (edited)
    Candle when cooking and incense after cooking. It will help reduce the smell.
    Author
    Thank you, do you mean a fragrances candle?
    Many thanks
    Get one of those ventilation systems that they use in "urban" grow houses
    Author
    Not a bad shout lol
    Use room fresheners helps
    Febreze?
    Incense after cooking and candles and some febreeze on the clothes before you put them away.
    "does anyone have any ideas and tips please on protect the home and fabrics from curry smell."

There is one solution which works well to get rid of most of the odors, but if you don't use it properly it can be a real health hazard (of course, it depends on its concentration and the ventilation of the room).

...an ozone machine.

More info about ozone:
    nj.gov/hea…pdf
    Author
    Thank you
    Carbon filters can be quite effective at removing smells. Extractor hoods sometimes have them but they are consumable and need to be replaced regularly

You could also look into buying an air purifier but don’t bother with the really cheap ones
    Author
    Thank you. I was looking at some earlier, but I didn't have faith in some of the cheap ones.

I'll definitely look at some carbon ones. Many thanks
    Powerful extractor hood to take smell outside and close kitchen door when cooking. Its also good in the winter as steam/moisture is also taken out thus reducing mould in winter times.

Try to cut out some of the ingredients like cumin, fenugreek that have strong smell if you can. There are some that are notorious for clinging onto clothing.
    Don’t wear clothes
    Cook curries when you don't have clothes hanging up. I don't think there are any other options apart from keep your clothes the furthest away from the kitchen and close the doors between the rooms if you really must have a curry!
    Extractor fan?
    Go out to eat.
    Author
    Erm,
    Due to preference I tend to cook at home.
    Although I do eat out at times (edited)
    Jam butties
    Author
    Aha. Thanks for reminding me, not had one in years (edited)
    Don't Cook curries?
    Author
    Why?
    Just enjoy it.
    Fan extractor?
    Use Oust
    When my Mrs cooks us a balti the whole house will smell for a few hours but clothes in wardrobes etc.. wouldn't be affected, I mean we wouldn't ever have random clothes hanging around apart from drying them but they wouldn't be sitting there still if cooking something like a curry.
    Anyway my Mrs uses these wax melts, light one on the night, another in the morning, bang and the curries gone
    I use an instant Pot cooker, throw all ingredients in, seal the lid, in no time cooked curry to perfection, no smells if you don't let steam out prematurely.
    cook outdoors.
    Author
    I'll let you know how it goes
    LoL - loving the replies - don't cook curries or don't cook curries why you have clothes hung up!
    Put a lid on the pot and make sure the clothes are in a separate room, with the door shut.
    When you finish cooking wipe all the walls, tiles and oven down with some cleaner. The oils and odours from the cooking will be all over the kitchen
    All of the windows close to the kitchen are opened. Most of the time when I cook, I close the lid to ensure that the smell is kept to a minimum. I then leave the windows open for a further hour after cooking. Additionally, it goes without saying that there shouldn't be any clothing hanging in the rooms closest to the kitchen because your friends or coworkers won't be able to stand the scent of your clothes. Finally, remember to take a shower; otherwise, your body will smell strongly like curry.
's avatar