Expired

currys appliance insurance

Found 15th Mar 2016
I have bought a kenwood gas cooker at currys today for £600..then bought the breakdown cover for 5 years @ £140. Is it worth it or shall i just cancel it. It covers callout charges and repairs. But new appliances are reliable and hopefully it wont need a repair

15 Comments

the last time I checked their breakdown cover the one that put me off was that it stated if at any point your appliance becomes unrepairable and they have to replace it. A) they won't give you an apliance of the same or better spec and B) they will only refund you the cost of the initial purchase so you would have to make up any shortfall. C) once they replaced or refunded you cover would cease even if you haven't used all the years that you've paid for.

May have changed now or I may remember wrong but I ended up buying my washing machine from comet due to better breakdown terms.

so do read the terms regarding an unrepairable breakdown.

cancel it

Original Poster

adhkarzf

the last time I checked their breakdown cover the one that put me off was … the last time I checked their breakdown cover the one that put me off was that it stated if at any point your appliance becomes unrepairable and they have to replace it. A) they won't give you an apliance of the same or better spec and B) they will only refund you the cost of the initial purchase so you would have to make up any shortfall. C) once they replaced or refunded you cover would cease even if you haven't used all the years that you've paid for. May have changed now or I may remember wrong but I ended up buying my washing machine from comet due to better breakdown terms. so do read the terms regarding an unrepairable breakdown.

Thank you. Will have to sit and read it properly

Original Poster

tardytortoise

cancel it

Looking that way

Cancel. Not a lot can go wrong with gas cookers.

New post in 2 years time. " My cooker has gone wrong out of warranty, surely there must be some way to get Currys to repair it for free"

Original Poster

Peegy

New post in 2 years time. " My cooker has gone wrong out of warranty, … New post in 2 years time. " My cooker has gone wrong out of warranty, surely there must be some way to get Currys to repair it for free"

Not really its got a 2 year manufacturer warranty anyway! And im not in the habbit of expecting things to be done for free.

bestestbud85

Not really its got a 2 year manufacturer warranty anyway! And im not in … Not really its got a 2 year manufacturer warranty anyway! And im not in the habbit of expecting things to be done for free.

I was referring to the advice given to you rather than your comments.

Original Poster

Peegy

I was referring to the advice given to you rather than your comments.

My apologies then.

You have a 2 year warranty and so you are paying for just 3 additional years. Not worth it.
cancel it and see how it goes in the 2 years. If things go wrong and you have to call them few times then
you can easily add the extra years once your 2 years runs out or before. Also remember, if they replace your cooker
at any time, your warranty goes out of the window and will not cover the rest of the time on the new cooker.

Read the small print. Its small because they can hide so many things in there

Cancel it, Consumer law protects you anyway.

shabbird

You have a 2 year warranty and so you are paying for just 3 additional … You have a 2 year warranty and so you are paying for just 3 additional years. Not worth it. cancel it and see how it goes in the 2 years. If things go wrong and you have to call them few times then you can easily add the extra years once your 2 years runs out or before. Also remember, if they replace your cookerat any time, your warranty goes out of the window and will not cover the rest of the time on the new cooker. Read the small print. Its small because they can hide so many things in there

Not correct. They replace to same specification with vouchers and remainder of warranty is given back as another voucher to go towards a new warranty. I know because I have had a cooker go wrong outside the first year and that is what I got.

Peegy

Not correct. They replace to same specification with vouchers and … Not correct. They replace to same specification with vouchers and remainder of warranty is given back as another voucher to go towards a new warranty. I know because I have had a cooker go wrong outside the first year and that is what I got.

If you had the same insurance they this will happen as you said. But there are plenty of examples here of what happened as I described it. All depends on what's written in the small print.

shabbird

If you had the same insurance they this will happen as you said. But … If you had the same insurance they this will happen as you said. But there are plenty of examples here of what happened as I described it. All depends on what's written in the small print.

Yes but you are giving advice about a question from op about Currys and giving incorrect information.

Original Poster

Thank you to all. Have cancelled it and cheque is on way.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants