Expired

curry's knowhow damaged my laptop

Found 16th Nov 2014
last November I was at my sisters house with my laptop. I'd left it with them for an hr or so while I went shopping and it was being used by my children and my sisters kids. It was then shut down, bagged up and left unattended in the hallway.
When I got home and switched it on there was about an inch or so of screen that was pixely and grey. I could not see any damage and was assured by family that the laptop was fine when on.

After a couple of months I decided to take it in to currys knowhow for help. The guy had no idea what had caused it so I paid £50 for it to be sent away. I was given a receipt confirming condition and awaited the outcome. A few weeks later I received a call quoting me nearly £300 for repairs. When I asked for a breakdown I was told it was for a broken bezzel, missing keys and a cracked screen!! Of course I disputed this and was eventually refunded the initial payment but they were unwilling to progress my complaint and said I needed to take it up with the store so my laptop was sent back there. After attending the branch numerous times they eventually agreed to fix it all. A few months later I was contacted to collect the laptop but when I got there the screen hadn't been replaced so I refused to accept the laptop back. It is still in the branch and have exhausted all avenues. customer services have stated they will no longer respond to my emails and every time I attend the store I am promised a manager will call and they never do.

Other than taking curry's to a small claims court is there anything else I can do to sort this out? ive even asked for detsils of their liability insurance but they're refusing access to it.

Appreciate any help given please.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskLaptop
26 Comments
That's a bit harsh by Currys - they should at least get the laptop properly repaired for you! I would go back into the store and refuse to leave without coming to a mutual agreement with the manager. Threaten them with small claims court, and have the T's and C's of the warranty handy so that you can refer to it when explaining that they need to get the laptop repaired. If neither you or the manager can come to an agreement, don't leave the store - instead get the manager to call is boss. If he refuses, you should refuse to leave until something happens!

Just my opinion though.
What does your receipt say that confirms the condition?
Original Poster
Eden0032

That's a bit harsh by Currys - they should at least get the laptop … That's a bit harsh by Currys - they should at least get the laptop properly repaired for you! I would go back into the store and refuse to leave without coming to a mutual agreement with the manager. Threaten them with small claims court, and have the T's and C's of the warranty handy so that you can refer to it when explaining that they need to get the laptop repaired. If neither you or the manager can come to an agreement, don't leave the store - instead get the manager to call is boss. If he refuses, you should refuse to leave until something happens! Just my opinion though.

sorry if my post implied I purchased the laptop from curry's. It was bought elsewhere a few years ago. i was just using their laptop repair service. it's not even worth much but it's the principle, been well and truly shafted by them.

Yes there was damage or a fault affecting the screen but I was still able to use it. There is now a crack from left to right corner in the exact place the bezzel was split too. It appears to me the laptop was forced open using the corners but have no proof now as they replaced the bezzel
Original Poster
kjcoolcat

What does your receipt say that confirms the condition?

light scratches to case and damage to screen. The guy said he could not specify what kind of damage as could not tell what had caused it but the repair centre would open it all up etc and get back to me.
dani80

light scratches to case and damage to screen. The guy said he could not … light scratches to case and damage to screen. The guy said he could not specify what kind of damage as could not tell what had caused it but the repair centre would open it all up etc and get back to me.

Nice and vague hey? So if I follow, you've paid £250 and still the screen is damaged?

You could see if they have customer services on facebook - some companies have facebook pages with people who actually do try and help, not like half the robotic call centres we have to endure these days. Might be worth a shot, but given it's been a year I can't imagine them doing much about it so taking legal action may be a route you can try..

I kicked off in currys about a dead tv that was a week old, the manager said I was a small fish in a big pond...he actually used those words! I had to make a scene to get a replacement as all they wanted to do was repair it - would never shop there again so feel your pain.

Original Poster
kjcoolcat

Nice and vague hey? So if I follow, you've paid £250 and still the … Nice and vague hey? So if I follow, you've paid £250 and still the screen is damaged?You could see if they have customer services on facebook - some companies have facebook pages with people who actually do try and help, not like half the robotic call centres we have to endure these days. Might be worth a shot, but given it's been a year I can't imagine them doing much about it so taking legal action may be a route you can try.. I kicked off in currys about a dead tv that was a week old, the manager said I was a small fish in a big pond...he actually used those words! I had to make a scene to get a replacement as all they wanted to do was repair it - would never shop there again so feel your pain.

and it hurts so bad haha

Anyway, no I haven't paid any money for repairs as there disputed. The way it works is that you pay £50 upfront, then u pay for the parts they quote you for. After telling the manager at the repair centre I had proof that there wasn't any of the damage they were quoting me for he offered the refund and sent it back to store. I still have no idea what caused the original fault I sent it in with. I accept there was an original fault and offered to pay one third of the cost of the trade price for a new screen in the hope it would be resolved quickly but no. Instead they expect me to be grateful that they fixed the bezzel and keypad they broke

yes they do have a Facebook page and their adverts pop up on my news feed. when they do I always put something on there. I then get a call back that I get nowhere with. It's an absolute joke.

i will be making the 40 mile round trip again week after next so might have to create a scene and see what happens I suppose.

I was hoping someone may have had experience of claiming from a companies liability insurance as it does cover accidents that a customer has in store and damage to their personal belongings whilst in their possession but don't know how to go about it.

Banned
MENTION YOU HAVE POSTED ON HERE!

Nothing worse than HUKD scorned baby!
Children play with laptop.
Laptop magically develops a physical fault.
Children know nothing of it and put away nicely.

Really???
Original Poster
gr8t1

Children play with laptop.Laptop magically develops a physical … Children play with laptop.Laptop magically develops a physical fault.Children know nothing of it and put away nicely.Really???

Children were supervised as only between 3-10 and it was my mum who took it from them to shut it down.

I'm not disputing the fact that it possibly could have been damaged then. My issue is that whilst in their possession it has been damaged further rendering the screen unusable so it's irrelevant what happened to the laptop prior to entering the store but thankyou for pointing that out

Original Poster
Graham1979

MENTION YOU HAVE POSTED ON HERE! Nothing worse than HUKD scorned baby!

sounds like a plan
Trading Standards
Watchdog
So they damaged the laptop and after some fighting have fixed the damaged they caused but the original fault is still outstanding?

If that is the case why not just take it to a professional repair shop and just save yourselves from fighting with Curry's?
Original Poster
redarrowrules

So they damaged the laptop and after some fighting have fixed the damaged … So they damaged the laptop and after some fighting have fixed the damaged they caused but the original fault is still outstanding?If that is the case why not just take it to a professional repair shop and just save yourselves from fighting with Curry's?

I haven't done that because it's the principle.

You can not see the original fault as the screen has been cracked from left corner to right. I'm not computer savvy but they haven't diagnosed the original fault it was taken it for and for all I know it could have been a cheap fix. Whereas now I need to buy a new screen and fit.

I just think it's disgusting that when challenged about it they say they do not cover for any accidental damage they cause whilst in their possession.

Ah if you can see the damaged they caused then I can fully understand chasing them.

Just my view was (which someone has already voted down) if the laptop is now back to the way it was with just the screen fault and I was getting no where with Curry's I would have moved on if I was doing a 40 mile round trip each time.
Tbh it's very likely that it needed a new screen to begin with, Although could of been a cable issue. I understand your stance with them as they've failed you, However I don't think you can win in the end and would have better results elsewhere.

I wouldn't trust knowhow, They managed to screw my tv up, Got it sorted in the end but was a terrible experience.
if all else fails email a complaint to the CEO
Original Poster
redarrowrules

Ah if you can see the damaged they caused then I can fully understand … Ah if you can see the damaged they caused then I can fully understand chasing them.Just my view was (which someone has already voted down)??? I can't see these on the mobile app. if the laptop is now back to the way it was with just the screen fault and I was getting no where with Curry's I would have moved on if I was doing a 40 mile round trip each time.

I don't go out my way to go. I coincide it with shopping trips and appointments etc and I was still able to use the laptop with the original fault but can't now

Original Poster
shauneco

Tbh it's very likely that it needed a new screen to begin with, Although … Tbh it's very likely that it needed a new screen to begin with, Although could of been a cable issue. I understand your stance with them as they've failed you, However I don't think you can win in the end and would have better results elsewhere.I wouldn't trust knowhow, They managed to screw my tv up, Got it sorted in the end but was a terrible experience.looks like I will have to cut my [quote=shauneco]Tbh it's very likely that it needed a new screen to begin with, Although could of been a cable issue. I understand your stance with them as they've failed you, However I don't think you can win in the end and would have better results elsewhere.I wouldn't trust knowhow, They managed to screw my tv up, Got it sorted in the end but was a terrible experience.

Yes it probably did need a new screen but I will never know now
Original Poster
swashey

if all else fails email a complaint to the CEO

Good idea but I won't hold my breath.

Where can I find who the CEO is?? Thanks in advance.
Original Poster
PeterCrowley92

Trading Standards

Thanks will contact them.
Original Poster
barrel24

Watchdog

not sure how to go about it
dani80

Thanks will contact them.

I don't think trading standard will get you anywhere as Curry's fixed the things they broke, correct? While the original fault is still there, they have no contract with you to resolve this and you got a full refund.
redarrowrules

I don't think trading standard will get you anywhere as Curry's fixed the … I don't think trading standard will get you anywhere as Curry's fixed the things they broke, correct? While the original fault is still there, they have no contract with you to resolve this and you got a full refund.

ffs no they haven't fixed what they broke!
they broke the screen, big crack in it that wasn't there when op took it to currys!
brilly

ffs no they haven't fixed what they broke!they broke the screen, big … ffs no they haven't fixed what they broke!they broke the screen, big crack in it that wasn't there when op took it to currys!

Sorry, just got a bit confused. In that case go for trading standards!
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice. How do I expire this please on the mobile app?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants