Currys - laptop, £35 for memory stick I don't want.

Please treat me like a PC moron if you wish but here is my question. Just reserved a laptop and hard drive passport at Curry's. They just called to say that the laptop has been opened and backed up ? onto a memory stick and that the memory stick is £35 extra. Haven't a clue what he was talking about, didn't ask them to do any of the above and therefore cancelled the reservation. Anyone enlighten me?

20 Comments

i suspect they were trying to sell you this service.

knowhow.com/uk/…=uk

30 quid to transfer your old data to a new machine. course it could be something else but suspect they are juat being muppets.

They probably took a back up of the operating system for you, this allows the refresh and reinstall action of the operating system at a later date. You might do this is there is corruption to the software or want to clear down the laptop so it runs smooth again. Handy service, but I wouldn't be paying for it. Just tell them you don't want it and they might reduce the price. Handy to have for a fiver or a tenner.

Or it might be what poster number 1 says lol

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me, either they are trying to make an extra £35 by selling you the stick with the installation media onit or it was an open box item and they wanted a justification for the box being open.

Original Poster

ibblackberry1 your answer appears to resemble what the adolescent on the phone was trying to explain to me. I said I didn't want it, he said that the product couldn't be sold without it. Did I want the items or not?...I said no and he hung up. Twitter complaint made.

Ask them how much they want for it open box?

diabeticguy

ibblackberry1 your answer appears to resemble what the adolescent on the … ibblackberry1 your answer appears to resemble what the adolescent on the phone was trying to explain to me. I said I didn't want it, he said that the product couldn't be sold without it. Did I want the items or not?...I said no and he hung up. Twitter complaint made.

They did the same to my brother but put it on cd's instead of a memory stick. We went to the store and long story short, got it for free or near free.

Original Poster

Just spoken to CS and they are currently on the phone to the store, it appears that I may get the backup stick gratis. I was not after freebies, I was happy to pay my way. Just needed feedback as to what was going on. I appreciate the feedback guys, please know that some of us really have no idea about these things and your opinions/input really do help.

they're probably on commission so trying to sneak it through. ..

Twitter complaints seem the most effective! !

I stood waiting for a collection and listened to the sales pitch on why the bill came to £35 more than the guy expected.
It's not like you can't do the same thing from Windows 8 yourself, you need a 32gb USB stick and press almost 4 buttons.
Listening to it was enough to make me not buy from curry's on that occasion, just hate the forced up sale

Dont buy from currys .Simple

Let me get this right...

You only reserved a laptop, and they opened up a brand new product and did a USB back-up for you. Is this a joke?

Not only have they broken the seal on a new product, they have then wasted their time doing this. And the customer is most likely to say they don't want it anyway.

Surely this is now a 2nd hand item. I hope your not intending on paying full price?

i wouldn't accept an open item now from someone who is either clueless or a liar, especially at the time of year with most returns

Original Poster

Took the code given from head office to allow for the memory stick (£35 discount) staff member was having trouble entering the code into his pc, he suggested that he would just delete the memory stick from the order thus not having to deal with the code; I suggested that the code allowed him to process the memory stick and the charge would be waived. He then said in a voice loud enough for the store to hear ''so you want the memory stick but you don't want to pay for it' manager was called and he got it with both barrels. Asst. manager was called and he spent 40 minutes attempting to placate me. I just give up !

diabeticguy

Took the code given from head office to allow for the memory stick (£35 … Took the code given from head office to allow for the memory stick (£35 discount) staff member was having trouble entering the code into his pc, he suggested that he would just delete the memory stick from the order thus not having to deal with the code; I suggested that the code allowed him to process the memory stick and the charge would be waived. He then said in a voice loud enough for the store to hear ''so you want the memory stick but you don't want to pay for it' manager was called and he got it with both barrels. Asst. manager was called and he spent 40 minutes attempting to placate me. I just give up !

You should complain to Head Office tbh.

Too right you should get the memory stick for free. The staff in them places are idiots. I remember looking at the laptops and I purposely asked a staff member about RAM and processors and all of what I was told was wrong, they obviously assume we know nothing about computers.

that's reason for further complaint to be honest. no need to embarrass you like that. i always try to stay calm, but my blood boils when i even have to think about going into currys (and unfortunately that's happened twice in as many weeks recently with some actually cracking deals).
their staff would need a fortnight's boot camp just to bring them up to the lower echelons of incompetent. it still amazes me how they have weathered the high street storm and have emerged stronger (and in alliance with another joke of a company, CPW)

bought a laptop from currys and a sticker on the box said was ready for use and a usb stick was inclued in the box but they made me pay £35 for a usb stick is this right or wrong

the £35 USB is not compulsary. you can simply refuse it; they tried to do this with me last week but i said no. anyone can make a USB install using the windows media creation tool, seems a quick money making scheme to me.

stand your ground. if they had opened the box i would either make sure i get a sealed unit or a decent discount for it being open box.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Can you change the battery on the newer style Oral B 4000 toothbrush?78
    2. Sky package66
    3. Amsterdam Booking.com advice22
    4. Should I Sky sports or not1311

See more discussions