After trial in the North West and Wales, Currys have launched a 'Quiet Hour' for those who deal with these Neurodiverse conditions, lnclude Autism , Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, and Tourette's syndrome.
Having a son who has Autism, and recently been into Currys, it was way too much for him, so i'm hoping as/when we visit again, things will be a lot calmer
For the first hour of the day until 11am, Currys will reduce noise in-store, keeping lights low and making sure there are no flashing screens to ensure a calmer place to shop.
Currys will also offer a sensory map of the store to help customers identify areas that may be a triggering environment.
To help support its new initiative, the group has also joined the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower network, to give shoppers a discreet way to signify that they have an invisible disability and may need some help and extra time.
The Sunflower lanyards will be available for customers to pick up in any Currys store across the UK.Source
What is the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower?
The Hidden Disabilities Sunflower enables people with non-visible disabilities to access the support they need. It acts as a prompt for someone to choose to let people around them know they have a non-visible disability and that they may need a helping hand, understanding, or simply more time.
Previously other stores have announced 'Quiet hour', which i've listed below, although they were a while ago now, so you may want to double check before you make a trip.
- ASDA: Quiet Hour, Monday-Thursdays, between 2-3pm
- Home Bargains: Quiet hour every Saturday, between 9am-10am
- Morrisons: Quiet Hour, every Saturday, between 9am-10am
- Selfridges : Quiet Hour in all its stores and office locations, every Wednesday from 10am -11am.
- Superdrug: Quiet hour every Sunday, from opening.
- Tesco: Every Wednesday and Saturday, between 9am-10am
- The Entertainer: Every day, for one hour, from time of opening.
Also, discover Sunflower-friendly places
Search for places that support people with invisible disabilities. This is a space for you to plan days out to shop, travel or be entertained with the Sunflower by your side.