Currys - paying by card

Just a quick question to those who've used their credit / debit cards to purchase goods from Currys - are you asked to insert your card into a reader or do they swipe your card, followed by you having to enter PIN on separate device?

Someone has recently expressed her concerns to me re. security over this matter.

Any insight appreciated.

8 Comments

can you explain yourself better

if you do buy something in store you need to swipe your card and enter a pin

if you order online and collect instore (and paid online) you should not need to swipe and enter your pin

Original Poster

Basically, do you:

1. Insert your card and enter PIN on one same device, or
2. They swipe your card on a reader, and ask you to enter PIN on separate device (where you would be expected to insert your card in the first instance)

Swipe your card in a reader.... I work in PC World (Same Company) and due to high fraud on the chip n pin machines they changed it to being swiped

There are a few shops that do that. can't think off the top of my head tho not just currys.

card readers where the pin pad is, have been de-activated, so they swipe your card at the side of the till and hand you the pin pad.

this means you have to hand you card to the cashier but you get the pin pad to put in your number.

KayeeEn;8322248

Basically, do you:1. Insert your card and enter PIN on one same device, … Basically, do you:1. Insert your card and enter PIN on one same device, or2. They swipe your card on a reader, and ask you to enter PIN on separate device (where you would be expected to insert your card in the first instance)

surely you have used your card before in other stores so would then know what to do?

Currys break the code of practice from the card companies. They use the swipe and park, in the park bit it is the same chip reader than in the pin unit.
Insist on using the pin unit for your card.. They use the swipe and park unit to be nice and do the timing for you....

The banks code of practice is that the card should never leave the users control, and should never be handed to anyone anymore.

Sainsburys used to do the same, but have been told off by the banks now...

M&S also use the park and swipe, but are in the process of replacing the pin units.

can banks actually force them to adopt chip and pin though?
i thought if a company does not use chip and pin then it can be held liable for the chargebacks relating to fraud.
also why the hell have a signature strip?
the banks could easily set cards up to decline any transaction not processed through chip and pin so they can't be to bothered about it
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2644
    2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …66114
    3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48410865
    4. Anyone else find Playerunknown super addictive but soooo frustrating33

See more discussions