Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Currys TV insurance - voucher?

Posted 30th Jan 2021
Hi guys,

We bought a Sony oled 65" in June 2018 and it started showing red dot around the end of 2019 and this month, had moving line on the bottom of the tv. We called team knowhow and they took it. Got call within a week to be informed that they won't be able to repair it and gave us option of another tv which was about £850 less that our Tv's original price. Now, they have given us voucher for the same amount and I'm not sure if it's a good deal because first of all, I didn't pay that much amount for the tv to be unrepairable in less than 2 and half years and secondly, please tell me if I should keep the voucher or ask them for the same tv which they did say wasn't on stock but maybe they could check again?

My tv was sony bravia oled k65a1 and I paid £3249 and they offered me sony KD-65AG9BU £2399 similar to the voucher offered. I was paying close to £9 every month for insurance.

Any suggestions would be helpful
Many thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    chrb30/01/2021 22:06

A 2018 tv will no longer be stocked. It’s probably written into the e …A 2018 tv will no longer be stocked. It’s probably written into the extended warranty that they can make reductions. As you have used tv for 2.5 years they may be entitled to make a reduction you should check your paperwork. You should also not use Curry’s again as other retailers wouldn’t have treated you so poorly- for example Costco would probably give full refund

Agreed on the reduction v usage costs if this was a normal warranty claim, which for a premium product you would reasonably expect it to last 6 years.

However, that means the £9 a month insurance payments have given zero benefit in this case

BUT as already said above, it depends on the wording of the insurance cover, but for that amount of money I really would be expecting new for old cover. (edited)
    Typically these insurances are for the item and not a value. This means it doesn't matter that you paid £5 or £5,000 for the item. So long as you are put back in the same, or comparable state to prior to the incident you claim for.

As it could not be replaced, nor sourced, you have been offered a TV that is identical in size, manufacturer, screen type, and is an equivalent model line as the original TV.

It just so happens that the TV costs less than the original.
    Their current know how wording

Product Replacement

If we cannot repair your Product you will be given a Currys PC World voucher to obtain a replacement Product in one of our stores. You will have 12 months from the date of issue of the voucher to use the voucher. The value of the voucher will be based on an equivalent or similar specification product up to a maximum of your original Product purchase price. We will also provide you with a Currys PC World voucher to purchase delivery, installation and recycling (where applicable).
    M1m130/01/2021 22:30

The currys itself has 5 years guarantee on the website and yes mine would …The currys itself has 5 years guarantee on the website and yes mine would be covered by 5 years warranty as well but I insured as I was hoping to use to tv for 10+ years..

Check what you bought, you wouldn’t have been covered for 10 years, meaning the insurance you are paying for in effect started when the Sony guarantee finished. It sounds like you fell for the hard sell, you have two options ask Sony to look at the TV they might say the same and write it off. Or take the vouchers unless it’s not the similar spec.

I would also send an email to their CEO team and tell them you believe you were mis sold the insurance as the TV came with a full 5 year warranty. Unless their special warranty covered the extra 5 years you thought it did or has extra benefits like accidental damage but you can still say you weren’t aware of that.

ceoemail.com/s.p…045
    i dont understand why you dont just accept the tv they are offering.

im no expert, but as far as i can tell its a great tv. its going to be better than the one you had.

or am i missing something
    This will I’m sure all be down to the t+c written on contract

It will normal state what happens if beyond economical repair etc
    have you found comparable spec tv as to why you then owned on Sony site ?

Tech moves so quick today’s £1k Tv in a few years is sub £500
    Your TV in 2021 would probably cost half what you paid for it back then
    Find this year's model that's related to yours and ask for that. If that is the one they offered then I'll say it's fair.
    That’s (above) where they have you..

Suggest you read and list every single item of your current spec TV (faulty) one and try and find the highest spec one that matches .. no doubt I’m sorry to say will be lower value.

Any spec you can find even if one has a 3.5mm jack plug is enough to argue “similar spec” . But this is curry’s.....so “similar” is where they have you in a civil court..

Richer sounds warranty FYI (like the pixel burn statement...) customerservice.richersounds.com/hc/…tee (edited)
    Author
    Thank you everyone. I guess I will have to be content with the voucher. If only I could use that voucher somewhere other than currys.
    I'm looking into Samsung The Frame. Please do recommend reliable and good 65" TVs under £1.5k.
    Oled tv where silly money back then , you can pick up high end 65” oled TVs now for £1500 .
    Just curious but I bought my Sony telly in late 2018. Would yours be covered by the Sony 5 year warranty too at all?
    A 2018 tv will no longer be stocked. It’s probably written into the extended warranty that they can make reductions. As you have used tv for 2.5 years they may be entitled to make a reduction you should check your paperwork. You should also not use Curry’s again as other retailers wouldn’t have treated you so poorly- for example Costco would probably give full refund
    Author
    sohailh198430/01/2021 22:05

Just curious but I bought my Sony telly in late 2018. Would yours be …Just curious but I bought my Sony telly in late 2018. Would yours be covered by the Sony 5 year warranty too at all?

The currys itself has 5 years guarantee on the website and yes mine would be covered by 5 years warranty as well but I insured as I was hoping to use to tv for 10+ years..
    Author
    chrb30/01/2021 22:06

A 2018 tv will no longer be stocked. It’s probably written into the e …A 2018 tv will no longer be stocked. It’s probably written into the extended warranty that they can make reductions. As you have used tv for 2.5 years they may be entitled to make a reduction you should check your paperwork. You should also not use Curry’s again as other retailers wouldn’t have treated you so poorly- for example Costco would probably give full refund

The voucher offered can only be used in currys and within 12 months so I will need to use them again....
    Author
    plebbygiraffe30/01/2021 22:15

Typically these insurances are for the item and not a value. This means it …Typically these insurances are for the item and not a value. This means it doesn't matter that you paid £5 or £5,000 for the item. So long as you are put back in the same, or comparable state to prior to the incident you claim for.As it could not be replaced, nor sourced, you have been offered a TV that is identical in size, manufacturer, screen type, and is an equivalent model line as the original TV.It just so happens that the TV costs less than the original.

It would've helped if the insurance value had gone down every year as well Thank you for your response though. It's hard to make sense of these things but I'm learning as I go.
    Author
    deleted7595330/01/2021 23:48

Check what you bought, you wouldn’t have been covered for 10 years, m …Check what you bought, you wouldn’t have been covered for 10 years, meaning the insurance you are paying for in effect started when the Sony guarantee finished. It sounds like you fell for the hard sell, you have two options ask Sony to look at the TV they might say the same and write it off. Or take the vouchers unless it’s not the similar spec.I would also send an email to their CEO team and tell them you believe you were mis sold the insurance as the TV came with a full 5 year warranty. Unless their special warranty covered the extra 5 years you thought it did or has extra benefits like accidental damage but you can still say you weren’t aware of that. https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9045

43688173-VvSI3.jpgIt just gives me the expiry date but nothing about the repair and support plan expiry so probably I would be paying until whenever I stopped paying or my tv had issues I guess..
    M1m131/01/2021 08:10

[Image] It just gives me the expiry date but nothing about the repair and …[Image] It just gives me the expiry date but nothing about the repair and support plan expiry so probably I would be paying until whenever I stopped paying or my tv had issues I guess..

There should be a t&c part you will need to read through it no way will be indefinite.
    Author
    deleted7595331/01/2021 09:06

There should be a t&c part you will need to read through it no way will be …There should be a t&c part you will need to read through it no way will be indefinite.

I Just read through the Repair and Support plan - monthly that they gave me and there's no mention of the plan ending after any certain date..
    As others have said, compare the specs of what you had and what they've offered. They are both 65", Sony and OLED so without further research, it seems they're offering exactly what they should. A 2018 model won't be available anymore. The price of the replacement is irrelevant, the cover is for a repair or equivalent replacement. Obviously since is Curry's insurance you have to buy there. (edited)
's avatar
Top Merchants