Curtain dimensions for a pair

Found 14th Sep 2015
Are the width dimensions given on a pair of curtains the single curtain size or the width of the window to be covered.
I have a patio window 2.5M wide

1. Ask
  2. Curtain
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Curtain
8 Comments

It's actually both- that will be the total width both curtains will cover when they're up, and it'll also be the width of one curtain, straight and ungathered.

This can be quite difficult to find and I turned down a lot of curtains for my first place as I didn't know either! The argos book has it written in (quite small though)

Usually you'd allow half again on the width of your window to allow for gathers. A 2.5 metre wide window would thus be 3.75m total width in curtains needed; divide by two to get the individual curtain width, i.e. 180cm - 190cm. The width stated on curtains when you buy them is the actual width of the fabric of each curtain, as if they were laid out flat on the floor. For example curtains labelled 180 x 240 would fit a window 2.5m wide by 2.4m drop. Obviously you wouldn't buy curtains the exact width of your window, or they would have to stretch tight to fit and probably woudn't even close! Hope this helps.

aninginaneana

Usually you'd allow half again on the width of your window to allow for … Usually you'd allow half again on the width of your window to allow for gathers. A 2.5 metre wide window would thus be 3.75m total width in curtains needed; divide by two to get the individual curtain width, i.e. 180cm - 190cm. The width stated on curtains when you buy them is the actual width of the fabric of each curtain, as if they were laid out flat on the floor. For example curtains labelled 180 x 240 would fit a window 2.5m wide by 2.4m drop. Obviously you wouldn't buy curtains the exact width of your window, or they would have to stretch tight to fit and probably woudn't even close! Hope this helps.

Confused? You will be ... oO

therealslimkaty

Confused? You will be ... oO

Sorry, was this too complicated a way of explaining it? Errmm... Curtain sizes are usually written as how wide one curtain is. Your window needs two of these. They're no good if exactly the size of your window (too tight a fit). You need an extra half a width on each curtain, so they have enough spare fabric to close together.
To work this out, measure your window. Add half this width on. You now have one and a half times the width of your window.
Because you need two curtains, each will be half the total width you just got.
Buy curtains this width and the right length for your window.
Was that any better?

just to confuse things more - the size you need will vary depending on whether you have a 'track' rail or eyelet curtains - you need to allow more material for pleats with eyelet curtains.
If you're buying for track curtains, the curtain pack size usually states what track size the curtains will fit up to.

With pleating Id suggest double the width so 5 mts of curtains and as to drop it depends on taste how near the floor you like them plus how high above the curtain rail they sit.The packages normally give the actual curtain sizes .
Edited by: "arachnoid" 14th Sep 2015

Always the width of a single curtain.

Most common widths in inches are 46, 66 and 90.
Most common drops in inches are 54, 72 and 90.

To cover 2.5m (approx 98 inches), you will need 90'' width (and 90'' drop will suit most patios).
Avoid 66'' width, as these will not look good, because there will hardly be any pleats when they are up.

So look on the pack for 90'' width x 90'' drop.
Post a comment
@
    Text