Curtain help!

Um a tad embarrassing but at my age I still don't know how to measure up for curtains correctly! My window is 98cmw x 130cmd now my Partner thinks I just buy that size but something tells me you have to double up? Sorry to be so silly but I'm guessing you helpful People have better knowledge than me! x

8 Comments

Yeah, you double up

Curtain sizes are per curtain, so measure the size and buy that size (plus a bit in width) curtains.

A general rule of thumb is to buy curtains minimum 1.5 the width or up to double the width required depending on how full you want them to be.
The size of each curtain is usually on the pack, sometimes it will state what size of window they will fit, unless its a door curtain (Usually a single curtain) then they are sold in pairs.
Measure the window and add on the extra width for the track/rod to identify the full width. Divide by 2. Then either double it or add an extra .5 to determine the width of each curtain you need to buy.
The length is dependent on how long you want them to be but bear in mind the extra height of track.rod. some header tapes a single hook option, some 3.
Hope that makes sense.

I always double the width . You can get away with less but it never looks as good

Original Poster

Thank you all so much.

kt21

A general rule of thumb is to buy curtains minimum 1.5 the width or up to … A general rule of thumb is to buy curtains minimum 1.5 the width or up to double the width required depending on how full you want them to be. The size of each curtain is usually on the pack, sometimes it will state what size of window they will fit, unless its a door curtain (Usually a single curtain) then they are sold in pairs.Measure the window and add on the extra width for the track/rod to identify the full width. Divide by 2. Then either double it or add an extra .5 to determine the width of each curtain you need to buy.The length is dependent on how long you want them to be but bear in mind the extra height of track.rod. some header tapes a single hook option, some 3. Hope that makes sense.

If you divide it by 2 then double it you'll be back to the original number i.e. 90/2 =45 then 45x2 =90 lol

Argoj

If you divide it by 2 then double it you'll be back to the original … If you divide it by 2 then double it you'll be back to the original number i.e. 90/2 =45 then 45x2 =90 lol

KT21 is correct. You measure the opening, then add the bit that goes outside the opening. Divide by 2, then multiply by 1.5 to give the width of EACH curtain (on a window you need two usually). So a 1m wide window opening, with 100mm overlap outside, each side, would need 1.1m, divided by 2= 550mm. X 1.5= 775mm. Two curtains, 775mm each.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Avoiding Car hire excess (Tenerife)810
    2. Recommend a free reminder app11
    3. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?914
    4. Electricity33

See more discussions