Groups

Curved TV Screen - Yes or No.

For those that own, or have experience of... What are your thoughts on a curved TV screen? Fad, essential or neither here nor there...

Looking to get a new TV and there is some decent deals on a few of the Samsung Curved TVs.

15 Comments

Yes

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6Z7lVExm7Gc/VudtbKY3EII/AAAAAAAAAvk/hJ5aZLjWiG8Ro9IYUJwIfJIVY1a-MMDxQ/s1600/180degreecinema2.jpg

No

https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2014/03/samsung-uhdtv-inline.jpg

Opinion only of course

Yes if you are putting in corner .. no if you putting on wall or near to straight wall

Can't answer you as a techie, but we went " just to look" at a new tv, and are now waiting for the delivery of a new Samsung curved tv. Our present tv is a Samsung Smart 32 inch, we've been delighted with it and we've gone for a Samsung again ; a curved 43" with active crystal display (UE43KU6510). Not the biggest screen, but the biggest we can fit in the available space. The picture quality was stunning.

Surprisingly beneficial for off-angle viewing when you see them in person. I'd say it's a nice to have if the cost isn't too high.

All children will now evolve with eyes on the sides of their head.

Soon as people realise curved screens distorts the picture, then they wont be so eager to buy one.

No.

If you're watching it from in front of the TV, yes. Any wider than a 2 or 3 seater sofa directly in front of it and you'll lose picture quality fast due to the distortion.

If you're sat in front of it, YES! it gives the picture a lot of depth that you don't get otherwise.

I have a flat one in the living room because there are chairs and a sofas dotted around the room, none of them are straight in front of the TV.

The room where I play games has a curved screen since it's usually just me directly in front of it.

for most rooms it's a con as not everyone gets a good picture as everyone isn't straight in front of it.

Daytrader

Soon as people realise curved screens distorts the picture, then they … Soon as people realise curved screens distorts the picture, then they wont be so eager to buy one.

In my experience, they don't distort the picture at all ... but they're bugfers for

Spango

[quote=Daytrader]Soon as people realise curved screens distorts the … [quote=Daytrader]Soon as people realise curved screens distorts the picture, then they wont be so eager to buy one.

In my experience, they don't distort the picture at all ... but they handle reflections really badly, so best if not getting direct light on the screen.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your input.

ipswich78

Thanks for all your input.

Just bought a new Samsung, in laws have a curved and wife originally wanted one. Did some reading up the were mentions on the review sites that there is no benefit on curved in certain room and the new versions of Samsungs at least have excellent viewing angles on the traditional flat screens. We have a reasonable size room and with our old 40 inch if you sat at one side of the room you had to turn the tv. We got a Samsung ue55ku6400 and it has perfect viewing angles in any seat in the room. Best thing was for the equivalent curve it would have been nearly an extra £200.

eslick

Did some reading up the were mentions on the review sites that there is … Did some reading up the were mentions on the review sites that there is no benefit on curved in certain room and the new versions of Samsungs at least have excellent viewing angles on the traditional flat screens.

I suspect the writer was talking about a different set of Samsungs or perhaps comparing them to cheaper/older models. The UE55KU6400 has worse viewing angles than nearly all of it's contemporaries. The Philips 6501, Sony XD70 and XD85, and LG 600/700v models are all better and the only one that might be worse is the Panasonic DX-700 (the DX-600 is better).

EndlessWaves

I suspect the writer was talking about a different set of Samsungs or … I suspect the writer was talking about a different set of Samsungs or perhaps comparing them to cheaper/older models. The UE55KU6400 has worse viewing angles than nearly all of it's contemporaries. The Philips 6501, Sony XD70 and XD85, and LG 600/700v models are all better and the only one that might be worse is the Panasonic DX-700 (the DX-600 is better).

The reviews were on the trade type sites and not by owners and I guarantee you there is nothing wrong with the viewing angles. Each to their own but I don't think you can compare Philips with Samsung, they aren't the company they used to be, and Sony though it's been a about 9 months since they were posted have to many refurbs for my liking.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky11
      2. Iptv1227
      3. Hifi Speaker cable choice?46
      4. best place for fishing tackle?11

See more discussions