Customs Charge

Posted 2nd May
Bought some computer components from AliExpress to the value of £235.98, all sent in one box, got stung for the customs charge, does anyone know how much it’ll be, I’ve yet to receive the card through the post telling me what I’ve got to pay.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
MadeDixonsCry03/05/2020 05:28

"is mostly the Customs ( British public) who get stung by buyers ."Makes …"is mostly the Customs ( British public) who get stung by buyers ."Makes no sense to me. Like most of their other pseudo-sarcastic posts. @AndyRoyd does it better

Every evaded customs charge is money lost to the public purse. Trying not to pay customs fees: tax evasion is illegal, avoidance is prudence.
In short every purchase from abroad should have fees factored into your buying decision. While it would be nice not to pay them, it should be expected.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 3rd May
27 Comments
You’re looking at roughly £5 duty and £48 vat plus whatever courier charges for collecting the fees.
ArcadeAssassin02/05/2020 20:48

You’re looking at roughly £5 duty and £48 vat plus whatever courier cha …You’re looking at roughly £5 duty and £48 vat plus whatever courier charges for collecting the fees.

Courier charges are usually round £11
Enter the tracking number on the pay a fee section on the royal mail site and will tell you the charge without needing to wait in the card.
Lesson learnt unfortunately. Lots of places will state the value at £15 or whatever doesn't incurr charges, but you are liable for VAT Etc so it's worth checking future purchases. Could you refuse delivery?
I paid like £33.78 for something valued $210 usd (computer case) + $35 for shipping from Parcelforce. You can actually contact the provider to get the code/pay it before the card comes (I did at least a few months ago).
Ah crap I bought some stuff recently which has been shipped. Worried about customs now...
The seller will have likely already kept the value under £15 or significantly lower to reduce your customs fees.
You are unlucky to get stung.
It is mostly the Customs ( British public) who get stung by buyers .
40619050-r2WCp.jpgI’ve put the tracking number into Royal Mail but it keeps saying they have an issue.

How will customs know the value of the items, if it’s way more or way less, is there a way to contest it? Thanks
BadMF02/05/2020 22:04

[Image] I’ve put the tracking number into Royal Mail but it keeps saying t …[Image] I’ve put the tracking number into Royal Mail but it keeps saying they have an issue. How will customs know the value of the items, if it’s way more or way less, is there a way to contest it? Thanks

They go by the invoice notice on the package, don’t think there is much you can do about it just the price of buying from abroad.
eslick02/05/2020 22:22

They go by the invoice notice on the package, don’t think there is much y …They go by the invoice notice on the package, don’t think there is much you can do about it just the price of buying from abroad.

this
I got customs charged a little while back, because they used to invoice the package at $15 but then the pound/dollar changed iirc
fearona03/05/2020 03:20

What bit don't you understand?

"is mostly the Customs ( British public) who get stung by buyers ."

Makes no sense to me. Like most of their other pseudo-sarcastic posts. @AndyRoyd does it better
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 3rd May
xtreme12302/05/2020 20:56

Courier charges are usually round £11

Royal Mail charges £8. DHL charges £11, I think.

Import charges are made of 3 components - VAT of 20% on the declared value including shipping costs (if it is >£15, or as assessed if the Customs guys open the parcel) + Customs duty for imports >£135 (depends on what is being imported) + admin fee charged by whoever is delivering.
Edited by: "bozo007" 3rd May
MadeDixonsCry03/05/2020 05:28

"is mostly the Customs ( British public) who get stung by buyers ."Makes …"is mostly the Customs ( British public) who get stung by buyers ."Makes no sense to me. Like most of their other pseudo-sarcastic posts. @AndyRoyd does it better

Every evaded customs charge is money lost to the public purse. Trying not to pay customs fees: tax evasion is illegal, avoidance is prudence.
In short every purchase from abroad should have fees factored into your buying decision. While it would be nice not to pay them, it should be expected.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 3rd May
Happy to pay the fee, just annoying I’ve got to wait till probably the end of next week before I can get my hands on it now. And it wasn’t so much about ordering it from China because it was cheaper, it was because I couldn’t find any stock of the item anywhere else.

(Engineering sample CPU’s)
BadMF03/05/2020 09:50

Happy to pay the fee, just annoying I’ve got to wait till probably the end …Happy to pay the fee, just annoying I’ve got to wait till probably the end of next week before I can get my hands on it now. And it wasn’t so much about ordering it from China because it was cheaper, it was because I couldn’t find any stock of the item anywhere else. (Engineering sample CPU’s)

If it's urgent, you could give them a call. Just be cautious that everything is also slower because of lack of staff and covid (e.g. first class post tasks a good few working days to get to me now in my area - where as it used to be next day).
Closed till Tuesday unfortunately.
Yes this is the way it is now, I use to be a regular customer of creation watches as their prices were very good, but now every order is stopped and customs duty etc added which makes it a waste of time.
Edited by: "cycleman" 3rd May
cycleman03/05/2020 12:31

Yes this is the way it is now, I use to be a regular customer of creation …Yes this is the way it is now, I use to be a regular customer of creation watches as their prices were very good, but now every order is stopped and customs duty etc added which makes it a waste of time.

probably less parcels being sent so now customs can stop virtually every parcel to apply duty.
Edited by: "Speculator" 3rd May
Speculator03/05/2020 12:49

probably less parcels being sent so now customs can stop virtually every …probably less parcels being sent so now customs can stop virtually every parcel to apply duty.

Yes, but this been happening for a long time, way before the current situation.
Edited by: "cycleman" 3rd May
Oneday7703/05/2020 07:48

Every evaded customs charge is money lost to the public purse. Trying not …Every evaded customs charge is money lost to the public purse. Trying not to pay customs fees: tax evasion is illegal, avoidance is prudence. In short every purchase from abroad should have fees factored into your buying decision. While it would be nice not to pay them, it should be expected.

I agree it should be expected but please don't pretend that the net effect to the "public" is positive.

If an item is cheaper to produce, store, and ship to us from outside the EU than if it was shipped from an EU warehouse then we have bigger issues.

Just more evidence of en.wikipedia.org/wik…ain.
Got the fee to pay card today. The fee? £11.24!

Well happy with that, I was expecting over £100!
BadMF04/05/2020 13:58

Got the fee to pay card today. The fee? £11.24! Well happy with that, I …Got the fee to pay card today. The fee? £11.24! Well happy with that, I was expecting over £100!

How do you work out over £100 on a £235.98 order....
40634604-pO07E.jpg
I’m not complaining, they’ve decided and I’ve paid.
jheslop104/05/2020 14:05

How do you work out over £100 on a £235.98 order....

Thought there might have been some kind of fine or something, plus vat plus redelivery etc etc
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions