Customs charged too much for a little item!

Found 25th Sep 2017
Hi everyone;

I've placed 2 separate orders from aliexpress. 1 is for £28 and other one for £300.

2 days ago i've received a text asking me to pay £16. I thought it was for the big order so i went ahead and paid.

However, today DHL delivered the parcel which i've paid the custom fee for. It s the small item which is $36.50 (£28).

I believe £16 for such small item is way to high. Can i request a refund on that?
I am 100% sure the charge is for the small item.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Most of the charge will have been the admin fee rather than the tax itself.
This link will help: dhl.co.uk/en/…tml be prepared to pay further fees for your second order.
£10 or so will be DHL charge for the privilege of dealing with the tax for you
Most comments on here from people who have been charged duty generally relate to shipments through DHL - advice appears to be never to take the DHL route, if you can wait always take the standard low cost shipping option.
Original Poster
Thank you guys, that's cleared it up for me. I thought it was just the custom fee. Seller did mention there world be free but because of the language, i didn't understand at the time. And didn't know DHL charged so much to deliver a small item.

Luckily, the other order is not by DHL. They send the order to their Manchester branch and then to me so i won't have to pay a custom fee (fingers crossed)

Will deffinetly avoid DHL in the future.
iceboy35 m ago

Thank you guys, that's cleared it up for me. I thought it was just the …Thank you guys, that's cleared it up for me. I thought it was just the custom fee. Seller did mention there world be free but because of the language, i didn't understand at the time. And didn't know DHL charged so much to deliver a small item. Luckily, the other order is not by DHL. They send the order to their Manchester branch and then to me so i won't have to pay a custom fee (fingers crossed) Will deffinetly avoid DHL in the future.

It's not just DHL - you should be paying import fees / VAT on anything over a certain value that you import. DHL (and some other couriers) will add a admin fee for collecting the cost of this.
A flat rate customs handling fee is standard behaviour among delivery companies, there are plenty who charge more than £11 and not many who charge substantially less (I think royal mail are £8 for example).

It would be nice if they charged it up front, but it's one of those situations where delivery companies don't want to present shops the cost and shops don't want to present higher delivery costs to customers.

Further complicated by the fact that UK customs don't charge tax on every package that they are supposed to, so some get through without any charges.

Basically if possible buy from a shop that does the customs stuff up front rather than leaving it to the delivery company. It's cheaper for everyone in the long run.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions