Expired

Customs charges buying from the USA?

Found 11th Dec 2013
Item value £175 any ideas on customs/ups charges guys?
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
We bought a sporting component at a cost of £160 GBP from US; we were charged almost £50 customs charge which we hadn't given a thought to!
Remember to add the £8 Royal Mail handling fee if it's not coming via another courier like DHL etc...
Charges depend on what the item is - what is it and where did you get it? Reason I ask, Amazon and eBay have somehow found ways around UK customs, so if you got it from either of their .com sites, you might be lucky....
As a minimum though expect to pay 20% VAT and handling fee as described above. Also, if it is mislabled in any way, or is considered a restricted item, it could be destroyed by UK customs and excise - they also do this if they can't get hold of you to claim the item and pay the fees within a specific time frame...
is this the same for Canada?
andrewgrundill5

is this the same for Canada?

yep any non-EU country i'm afraid.
that sucks
Terrabytes

Amazon and eBay haven't "got around" customs. They just collect the fees … Amazon and eBay haven't "got around" customs. They just collect the fees in advance and pay on entry to the UK. This works out slightly cheaper than other services, as they don't charge a separate customs processing fee.

$22.49 Items
$6.48 Estimated shipping & handling
$28.97 Total before tax
$0.00 Estimated tax to be collected
$28.97 Estimated order total

Wrong, i recently bought something from eBay.com, it was a new item, a DVD in fact and i paid no dues, only shipping which was very reasonable. they even advertised the fact that no duty would be required to be paid - perhaps because they pay it themselves. i don't know, bu this did happen. also, i don't see how amazon can make it so much more cheaper unless they have a deal with uk customs and excise to pay significantly less tax. go to amazon.com and try it you'll see what i mean.

and i quote from ebay.com:

No additional import charges at delivery!
This item will be shipped through the Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking. Learn more
pages.ebay.com/hel…tml

Edited by: "fuhu78888" 11th Dec 2013
Terrabytes

Wrong. On eBay, you will see an additional charge added below the … Wrong. On eBay, you will see an additional charge added below the shipping fee if import fees are due - they collect these in advance, so that you don't need to pay again on entry of the goods to the UK.

Well i didn't pay any additional fees, and how dyou explain my amazon example above? note, a dvd shipped from the US from non amazon source would be at least $15, WITHOUT taxes added.
Terrabytes

FFS, either the value was below the threshold for VAT - most likely for … FFS, either the value was below the threshold for VAT - most likely for US DVDs - or you have already paid 20% VAT without realising.

Below the thresh-hold for VAT? how bout this one then?

Order Summary
Amazon Currency Converter is Disabled.
Learn more
Items: $119.99
Shipping & handling: $6.48
Total before tax: $126.47
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Order total: $126.47
Terrabytes

FFS, either the value was below the threshold for VAT - most likely for … FFS, either the value was below the threshold for VAT - most likely for US DVDs - or you have already paid 20% VAT without realising.

below the thresh-hold....hmmmmmmmmm... pretty sure the threshold is £190 or therabouts:

Order Summary
Amazon Currency Converter is Disabled.
Learn more
Items (3): $442.42
Shipping & handling: $28.88
Total before tax: $471.30
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Order total: $471.30
:p/

well the item is a hifi component, purchased direct from the company, not amazon, it does state on the quote taxes not included and i'm getting close to waht i can buy an equivalent product off ebay for so might give it a skip.
maddogb

well the item is a hifi component, purchased direct from the company, not … well the item is a hifi component, purchased direct from the company, not amazon, it does state on the quote taxes not included and i'm getting close to waht i can buy an equivalent product off ebay for so might give it a skip.

i would, save yourself a lot of hassle/stress/money - and having to buy a US to UK adaptor which aren't that easy to find (airports sell em though). for this sort of item, i'd say the chance of it getting held up in customs for eons is very high, and you as the importer will be responsible for it and any charges as soon as it enters the country. could be a ball ache.
fuhu78888

i would, save yourself a lot of hassle/stress/money - and having to buy a … i would, save yourself a lot of hassle/stress/money - and having to buy a US to UK adaptor which aren't that easy to find (airports sell em though). for this sort of item, i'd say the chance of it getting held up in customs for eons is very high, and you as the importer will be responsible for it and any charges as soon as it enters the country. could be a ball ache.

yeah i already received assurance the item would have the necessary mod to allow 240v usage, would just need uk iec cable which i have dozens of, but still sounds like a lot of hassle, i shall gove it great thought ty.
fuhu78888

below the thresh-hold....hmmmmmmmmm... pretty sure the threshold is £190 … below the thresh-hold....hmmmmmmmmm... pretty sure the threshold is £190 or therabouts:Order SummaryAmazon Currency Converter is Disabled. Learn moreItems (3): $442.42Shipping & handling: $28.88Total before tax: $471.30Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00Order total: $471.30

Amazon.com have three International Shipping Rates: Standard, Expedited and Express. You only pay Import duty up front, and therefore are guaranteed that price, on the latter two. If you do buy anything through the Standard shipping option you are at risk of the package being stopped at Customs and charged import duty, customs and VAT, as well as Royal Mail handling. At this time of year, it's more likely that something will slip through due to the sheer volume of mail, however it's not guaranteed.
Terrabytes

There's no indication of shipping address on that calculation (US or … There's no indication of shipping address on that calculation (US or international).Estimates for pre-orders (not in stock items) don't have the tax calculated.

i used my UK address, items were in stock.
Last time I bought from the USA it was so much on the charges.. I've heard though if you tell them to make sure they state that its a gift they're not allowed to charge you fees. Unsure tho..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants