Customs charges for EU Amazon purchases?

Posted 9th Feb 2022
Ordered a tech thing for £200+ which in the 'Amazon warehouse'. It's described as sold by Amazon, supplied by Amazon warehouse, but I think (I'm not sure) it's coming from an EU country.

Despite this it says "Free delivery with Prime" and "Free returns" and is due to arrive on Saturday.

Will I be facing customs charges? If so.. when/how would that happen?

This was order via the UK Amazon site.

TIA
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Deedie
    The price you see on Amazon includes all charges etc
    darkclouds
    JamesSmith10/02/2022 17:31

Well it's a weird one as the item was sold by Amazon Warehouse and …Well it's a weird one as the item was sold by Amazon Warehouse and Fulfilled by Amazon. Here is the listing :[Image] No mention of customs fees at checkout - only the one liner in the listing hinted it was coming from abroad which suggests France : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HJ8X2XR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1I was starting to think my specific order was sourced from a UK Amazon Warehouse, but here's the tracking information so far :[Image] I'm quite impressed if it travelled from Schkeuditz to Southend on Sea in 42 minutes!These seem to fairly often arrive DOA judging by reviews, so it will be interesting to see if Amazon try to make me poney up a customs charge should it need returning. I would fight my corner, because as the screenshot says, "Free returns for the shipping address you chose".I think it's possibly a cock up by Amazon - when I went to chat at the time of ordering i got some inquisitive replies ("It says shipping to your address?").. but they timed out responding, and I scooped it up as it's a bargain.

it’s Germany and travel time is 1 hour and 43 due to time differences
    Gynx
    Just ordered an amazon basics item and it ended up coming from Spain, went through customs both sides etc but not charged anything extra.
    darkclouds
    bozo00710/02/2022 07:36

If the order is on Amazon UK, the return is to Amazon UK. The OP says he …If the order is on Amazon UK, the return is to Amazon UK. The OP says he ordered on Amazon UK so in fact, the OP won't face any Customs charges at all given it is a UK sale. Even if OP had ordered it on any non UK Amazon site, Amazon takes care of everything and there is nothing further to pay on delivery (Customs charges may have applied but again, Amazon pays them and includes them in the price charged, so customer sees nothing beyond what was paid upfront).

Wrong sadly I purchased a item like I said and the return is Italy as per the returns address Amazon uk will NOT deal with the return
    louiselouise
    If you've ordered from Amazon UK's site, then you won't have extra charges to pay. They will also deal with support and returns issues, if any.

You do sometimes get things shipped from Europe when you make an Amazon UK order, though definitely not as often as pre-Brexit. Last one that comes to mind was a £5 Wonderbra that came from Italy sometime last year (edited)
    JamesSmith Author
    Deedie09/02/2022 19:18

The price you see on Amazon includes all charges etc

Awesome, thanks!
    charleaward81
    Amazon have their own Logistics Company, your order stays within Amazon for its entire journey so they fully manage all aspects of VAT, customs and duty. If any if ever charged it shows on your checkout screen prior to pressing buy now.
    darkclouds
    @JamesSmith if it says Amazon eu as seller regardless if you purchased it from the UK site you will have you send it back “abroad” Amazon uk will tell you to email Amazon Eu I ordered a blu ray set and it’s arrived damaged and am now facing a £32 courier charge to send it back and Amazon as told me they will only refund 4 euro
    bozo007
    darkclouds10/02/2022 01:21

@JamesSmith if it says Amazon eu as seller regardless if you purchased it …@JamesSmith if it says Amazon eu as seller regardless if you purchased it from the UK site you will have you send it back “abroad” Amazon uk will tell you to email Amazon Eu I ordered a blu ray set and it’s arrived damaged and am now facing a £32 courier charge to send it back and Amazon as told me they will only refund 4 euro

If the order is on Amazon UK, the return is to Amazon UK. The OP says he ordered on Amazon UK so in fact, the OP won't face any Customs charges at all given it is a UK sale. Even if OP had ordered it on any non UK Amazon site, Amazon takes care of everything and there is nothing further to pay on delivery (Customs charges may have applied but again, Amazon pays them and includes them in the price charged, so customer sees nothing beyond what was paid upfront).
    JamesSmith Author
    Well it's a weird one as the item was sold by Amazon Warehouse and Fulfilled by Amazon. Here is the listing :

46878690-R8uau.jpg
    No mention of customs fees at checkout - only the one liner in the listing hinted it was coming from abroad which suggests France : amazon.co.uk/gp/…h=1

I was starting to think my specific order was sourced from a UK Amazon Warehouse, but here's the tracking information so far :

46878690-rTd9H.jpg
    I'm quite impressed if it travelled from Schkeuditz to Southend on Sea in 42 minutes!

These seem to fairly often arrive DOA judging by reviews, so it will be interesting to see if Amazon try to make me poney up a customs charge should it need returning. I would fight my corner, because as the screenshot says, "Free returns for the shipping address you chose".

I think it's possibly a cock up by Amazon - when I went to chat at the time of ordering i got some inquisitive replies ("It says shipping to your address?").. but they timed out responding, and I scooped it up as it's a bargain.
    JamesSmith Author
    louiselouise10/02/2022 18:09

If you've ordered from Amazon UK's site, then you won't have extra charges …If you've ordered from Amazon UK's site, then you won't have extra charges to pay. They will also deal with support and returns issues, if any.You do sometimes get things shipped from Europe when you make an Amazon UK order, though definitely not as often as pre-Brexit. Last one that comes to mind was a £5 Wonderbra that came from Italy sometime last year

How random

Thanks @louiselouise, should hopefully all work out well.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants