Customs on a CPU from U.S.

Found 10th Jan 2013
Hi all,

I ordered an Intel i5-2500k on eBay for £122.44 +£10.59 shipping from the U.S. Today, 10/01/13, I got a card in the post from Royal Fail, which was dated to 04/01/13, reading: "Unfortunately we can't deliver your item because there is a fee to pay". The fee is £32.59 (including £8 handling charge).

They say they'll keep this item for 21 days then send it back to the sender, unless if I pay.

As far as I am aware since about a year ago you can bring in items up to value of £135 now without paying customs:

customs.hmrc.gov.uk/cha…014

I've no idea what is going on, and is there a way around this?

Cheers to all.

1. Misc
  2. CPU
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. CPU
48 Comments

Its VAT and no you can't.

This latest version has been updated to reflect the reduction in the level of the relief available for items sent as gifts, from £40 to £36 with effect from 1 January 2013

You have to pay lad.

It's a tax, you don't pay it goes back, if they declaired the value it's vat equiv, if not it's a guestimate of values vat plus handling generally.

Original Poster

cdm22

Its VAT and no you can't.

I'm sorry? Did you mean the fee is VAT and I can't get around paying it?

YeeeKhhaw

I'm sorry? Did you mean the fee is VAT and I can't get around paying it?

Yes. Anything over £15 if shipped from outside the EU is liable for VAT.
Edited by: "cdm22" 10th Jan 2013

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?
■Commercial consignments i.e goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT.
Note: This does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters; these items are excluded from the relief of duty and VAT at import.
In addition, commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from any relief of import VAT.

they are charging vat @ 20% plus handling

Original Poster

I guess I'll have to send it back to the seller then. Thanks all!

Fingers crossed for you it arrives back at the seller, once had an attempted delivery from family in the US that was incorrectly addressed and rightly rejected by those living at the address on the label. It was marked by Parcelforce as returned to sender, but they didn't see it again.

Edited by: "IndianaBlues" 10th Jan 2013

They might not give you a full refund.

Probably keep shipping costs, as in effect you have refused delivery of the item. And your ignorance of the law in your country is not their concern or responsibility.

Plus I'm guessing the seller probably doesn't have any assets over here so not even bound by dsr.

Original Poster

olympians

They might not give you a full refund.Probably keep shipping costs, as in … They might not give you a full refund.Probably keep shipping costs, as in effect you have refused delivery of the item. And your ignorance of the law in your country is not their concern or responsibility.Plus I'm guessing the seller probably doesn't have any assets over here so not even bound by dsr.

DSR?

YeeeKhhaw

DSR?

Distance selling regulations - they garuntee your right to a refund on items bought which are delivered which you have no previously seen, e.g. phone, web, teletext orders.

Giving you 7 days to return.

Distance Selling Regulations

If it will be returned,you get nothing,mate. Its your liability to pay duty,nothing much can do. Have been in same situation years ago, didn't collected from royal mail,they returned item(or not,who knows) but ebayer said he never received an item back( and I have no proof it has been returned),so left with nothing. The bright side of that-lost £27 only. Never do shopping outside EU anymore.

Original Poster

URL for tracking this item:
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?strOrigTrackNum=LK092690587US

It hasn't changed since 27 December, I'm gonna contact the seller and see what he can do then, he would offer refund of at least the item and perhaps the delivery too.

YeeeKhhaw

URL for tracking this item: … URL for tracking this item: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?strOrigTrackNum=LK092690587USIt hasn't changed since 27 December, I'm gonna contact the seller and see what he can do then, he would offer refund of at least the item and perhaps the delivery too.

Why the **** would he refund delivery because you have been such an idiot?

YeeeKhhaw

URL for tracking this item: … URL for tracking this item: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?strOrigTrackNum=LK092690587USIt hasn't changed since 27 December, I'm gonna contact the seller and see what he can do then, he would offer refund of at least the item and perhaps the delivery too.

Good luck with that!

So next you are going to try and defraud the seller by claiming it wasn't delivered.

You sound like the knob from the ebay thread yesterday.

'I got a card in the post from Royal Fail'

It's you who are the fail.

The reason it hasn't changed is that is the point it left the US Postal Service. Try typing the tracking info into royal mail/ parcelforce and it'll be there...

YeeeKhhaw

I think you are being a bit hopefull D:

Original Poster

mum2b

Why the **** would he refund delivery because you have been such an idiot?

Didn't say he would.
YeeeKhhaw

...he would offer refund of at least the item and perhaps the delivery … ...he would offer refund of at least the item and perhaps the delivery too.

And there's no need to act bad behind a keyboard, when you may just be like this kid:

http://obstacol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/who-needs-swag-when-you-have-them-straw-glasses.jpg

Original Poster

olympians

I think you are being a bit hopefull D:

I'm sure he'd refund at least the $196. Hopefulness is only adding on another $16.95 X)

Original Poster

greg_68

So next you are going to try and defraud the seller by claiming it wasn't … So next you are going to try and defraud the seller by claiming it wasn't delivered.You sound like the knob from the ebay thread yesterday.'I got a card in the post from Royal Fail'It's you who are the fail.

ebay thread yesterday? why bring that up? I only said royal fail because they've wasted 6 days out of 21

And I'd also like to know where I said I'm gonna "defraud the seller". If the item is sent back to him, how is it fraud?

Original Poster

IndianaBlues

The reason it hasn't changed is that is the point it left the US Postal … The reason it hasn't changed is that is the point it left the US Postal Service. Try typing the tracking info into royal mail/ parcelforce and it'll be there...

Thanks for the advice, but I tried to no avail

I've contacted the seller, gonna see what he suggests. I've talked to him before and he's a cool guy lol

It wouldn't be a problem for him if he gets the item back then refunds (total minus postage).

Edited by: "YeeeKhhaw" 10th Jan 2013

I'm not so sure he will refund you OP... usually on Ebay listings they will make you aware that if you are buying from the UK then the item may be subject to customs charges and that is the buyer's responsibility to understand before committing to the sale. If I buy anything from outside the EU then I always think about whether it is worth the risk of paying a customs fee, but I only buy things abroad that I cannot find here - therefore I try to put some money aside for the possible additional fee as to me it is worth it.

For more expensive items I have asked the seller/they offered to declare the item as a 'Gift' on the form, so far I have not had to pay any customs charges although I had heard sometimes they do charge even if it is a 'Gift' (they cotton on that you are trying to get around the customs charge). Going by the link you provided, you are not being charged a customs fee but only VAT - which is what you would have paid if you bought the item here. You are lucky that the total came to just under £135 as then you would have even more to pay.

Unfortunately I really cannot see the seller giving you a refund, the best thing you could do is pay the customs fee so at least you are not potentially losing over £130. If he has a refund policy then you could return it that way, so the most you would lose then is just the customs fee. I wouldn't risk leaving Royal Mail with your goods as I really doubt they care whether the item is delivered back to the original sender or not. The only way I can see you receiving a refund is if you accept the customs fee and return it yourself.

Original Poster

munchkins14

I'm not so sure he will refund you OP... usually on Ebay listings they … I'm not so sure he will refund you OP... usually on Ebay listings they will make you aware that if you are buying from the UK then the item may be subject to customs charges and that is the buyer's responsibility to understand before committing to the sale. If I buy anything from outside the EU then I always think about whether it is worth the risk of paying a customs fee, but I only buy things abroad that I cannot find here - therefore I try to put some money aside for the possible additional fee as to me it is worth it.For more expensive items I have asked the seller/they offered to declare the item as a 'Gift' on the form, so far I have not had to pay any customs charges although I had heard sometimes they do charge even if it is a 'Gift' (they cotton on that you are trying to get around the customs charge). Going by the link you provided, you are not being charged a customs fee but only VAT - which is what you would have paid if you bought the item here. You are lucky that the total came to just under £135 as then you would have even more to pay.Unfortunately I really cannot see the seller giving you a refund, the best thing you could do is pay the customs fee so at least you are not potentially losing over £130. If he has a refund policy then you could return it that way, so the most you would lose then is just the customs fee. I wouldn't risk leaving Royal Mail with your goods as I really doubt they care whether the item is delivered back to the original sender or not. The only way I can see you receiving a refund is if you accept the customs fee and return it yourself.

Firstly, thanks for not acting like the 2 scum before you. I've checked the eBay listing and there's no mention of customs otherwise I would have googled all their is to know about it beforehand lol.

I agree with you on the last paragraph, but I'm gonna wait for the seller to reply. Personally, I've got very little problem with paying the extra when I take into account all the deals that have saved me so much dosh already

Thanks again!

^ Agreed (munchkins14). Why would royal mail go to the trouble of shipping it back to the US. It would be easier for them to say 'lost in post' and then sell it at one of their lost item auctions. I would pay the Customs charges - you stand to loose a lot more if you don't. Think about it, you'll loose your processor and a percentage of the money you paid in the first place. The seller might even charge a restocking fee and i highly doubt he will refund the shipping fees.

Still, i don't agree with the 'handling charges' that royal mail have added. You have already paid to use their service and they still want more. Cheeky beggars!
Edited by: "118luke" 10th Jan 2013

Banned

YeeeKhhaw

I've checked the eBay listing and there's no mention of customs … I've checked the eBay listing and there's no mention of customs otherwise I would have googled all their is to know about it beforehand lol. I agree with you on the last paragraph, but I'm gonna wait for the seller to reply. Personally, I've got very little problem with paying the extra when I take into account all the deals that have saved me so much dosh already

Sorry, but is it really the sellers responsibility to make you aware of any potential duty you would have to pay in your country. I can just imagine the T&Cs if they were to adopt that policy for 195 other countries, and then break it down to different provinces, or states. As the buyer its your responsibility to see if you would incur any further charges.

Your last paragraph puzzles me, if you have 'very little problem' paying the tax, then why post this thread. Just pay it.

YeeeKhhaw

Firstly, thanks for not acting like the 2 scum before you. I've checked … Firstly, thanks for not acting like the 2 scum before you. I've checked the eBay listing and there's no mention of customs otherwise I would have googled all their is to know about it beforehand lol. I agree with you on the last paragraph, but I'm gonna wait for the seller to reply. Personally, I've got very little problem with paying the extra when I take into account all the deals that have saved me so much dosh already 8)Thanks again!

You are welcome! I don't really understand why some people feel the need to be rude, I'm sure we have all been in a situation where we need a little advice. I guess some people just think that this kind of thing is common knowledge, but you would be surprised how many people are not aware about customs charges. I guess you can't lose anything by contacting the seller first, but if that does fail then definitely do not trust Royal Mail with your goods. If I end up in a bit of a kerfuffle then I say the same thing too - I've saved lots of money on the times that I have got good deals and with this kind of thing it is just not worth losing sleep over

I hope you'll be able to resolve things soon!

Original Poster

AndyC1971

Sorry, but is it really the sellers responsibility to make you aware of … Sorry, but is it really the sellers responsibility to make you aware of any potential duty you would have to pay in your country.

Was that supposed to be a question? If so, proper use of a question mark can be seen along the left (<<< that way, if you don't know)

AndyC1971

Your last paragraph puzzles me, if you have 'very little problem' paying … Your last paragraph puzzles me, if you have 'very little problem' paying the tax, then why post this thread. Just pay it.

This is why I posted this thread:

I've no idea what is going on, and is there a way around this?

If I were to pay the additional charges it'd come to a total of ~£165, for which I could have bought a better CPU and warranty would be valid on it.

Do you understand now?

If not, http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/325/428/264.jpg.
If yes, static4.fjcdn.com/com…jpg

Original Poster

munchkins14

You are welcome! I don't really understand why some people feel the need … You are welcome! I don't really understand why some people feel the need to be rude, I'm sure we have all been in a situation where we need a little advice. I guess some people just think that this kind of thing is common knowledge, but you would be surprised how many people are not aware about customs charges. I guess you can't lose anything by contacting the seller first, but if that does fail then definitely do not trust Royal Mail with your goods. If I end up in a bit of a kerfuffle then I say the same thing too - I've saved lots of money on the times that I have got good deals and with this kind of thing it is just not worth losing sleep over :)I hope you'll be able to resolve things soon!

Just got a message from him:

"Some packages randomly undergo additional inspection by the post office, and additional customs charges are added. I am very sorry for this inconvenience, but I'm afraid this is out of my control. We have $32.00 US in the shipping cost so far. My best advice would be to allow the package return to me, and I will issue a refund.

Again, thank you for your patience and understanding."

Now I just need to settle this with Royal Mail, and see if they'll return it so that I may be issued a refund and the seller given his item back.

Thanks to all those who at least attempted to help

Still, i don't agree with the 'handling charges' that royal mail have added. You have already paid to use their service and they still want more. Cheeky beggars!
[/quote]

As the item was sent from the USA, then the postage would have been paid by the SELLER in that country. Royal Mail would the deliver it, under a reciprocal agreement, for no cost. The Buyer at no time would pay directly to anyone for the postage. The VAT would have been paid by RM and if the item is returned then they would have to claim it back. That's what the handling charge is for.they are not a charity!

@YeeeKhhaw, it may not seem helpful but maybe you should just take it on the chin and accept it as a learning experience? I've been in a similar position myself and it's a mistake you will only make once. Some US sellers will happily mark items as having zero value or as a gift/replacement, check before making the purchase just to be sure. I'd take the hit and get my new CPU up and running if I were you, sure you'll find a bargain at some point that recoups the Royal Mail charges

YeeeKhhaw

Firstly, thanks for not acting like the 2 scum before you.

Now who's acting like a child..

Better hope the package has a return address on it, otherwise RM will keep it. Having said that, you may be able to provide it to them if you phone up or go into a branch. Would just keep it personally.. I got stung once, then made sure to use a courier in the future. Even if the duty fee is small, RM slap a £8 charge on top whereas DHL's is only £1.50 or something. Thieving buggers.

I would pay it and take it on the chin as a lesson learnt.

When ever you buy stuff abroad always factor in 20% or even 25% for VAT/Import Duty. If it is about the same price as UK then you need to way up the risks if you manage to get things through without being picked up you can save, but if you do get caught is it worth it?

I recently ordered in quad parts from the states. UK dealer told me £265 for what I wanted delivered. Spoke to the company direct and got quoted £180 delivered. Ordered and paid for it knowing that im liable to be charged VAT and thats going to be 20% + Handling fee - Now got the goods, just need to remember to pay FEDEX the VAT etc now which was about £35. (Was £25 Disemursement out of the EU VAT Scope + £10 clearence administration fee)

I wouldnt trust royal mail though to send it back - as someone said its not like they have been paid to deliver it and it will cost them money....
Edited by: "PilchY" 10th Jan 2013

The Royal Mail has successfully delivered. You tried to get one over the tax man and got caught. I don't think it's entirely fair to say the Royal mail is the one step failed here.

So if you pay it's going to cost you £166. It you send it back you will get £113 back (presuming it gets back). It costs £160 in the UK.

I'd be paying the money.

so if Royal Mail send it back at their expense do they claim the money back somehow when the seller receives the item?

gogosteve

so if Royal Mail send it back at their expense do they claim the money … so if Royal Mail send it back at their expense do they claim the money back somehow when the seller receives the item?

No it's an agreement (this is subsidised by everybody's postage costs) they wont deliver it anyway they will just hand it back to the carrier (DHL or UPS or whoever) and then the handler in the US. There is no obligation for tracking or time limit. Although they aim to return them within 90 days.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

No it's an agreement (this is subsidised by everybody's postage costs) … No it's an agreement (this is subsidised by everybody's postage costs) they wont deliver it anyway they will just hand it back to the carrier (DHL or UPS or whoever) and then the handler in the US. There is no obligation for tracking or time limit. Although they aim to return them within 90 days.

Oh i see, so OP could be waiting a while for a refund if going that route.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions