Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Customs question

Posted 24th Sep
I've ordered a magnifying lamp from china, it says it's been posted and will be delivered to me via yodel once they receive it, just want to know will I be charged custom charges or anything like royal mail.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
gov.uk/goo…oad

You may also pay a fee to the agent acting as your importer (Yodel).
Oh well if they try to charge I won't accept the item and let it get returned and claim my money back.
feckineejit24/09/2019 19:41

Oh well if they try to charge I won't accept the item and let it get …Oh well if they try to charge I won't accept the item and let it get returned and claim my money back.

That's not really how it works. Sure, you can refuse to pay the charge to collect the item but don't assume that the item will magically work it's back to the seller In China for an automatic refund. The possible customs charge isn't the sellers concern, it's yours.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 24th Sep

Oh well if they try to charge I won't accept the item and let it get …Oh well if they try to charge I won't accept the item and let it get returned and claim my money back.

haha good luck with that theory.
Haircut_10024/09/2019 19:46

That's not really how it works. Sure, you can refuse to pay the charge to …That's not really how it works. Sure, you can refuse to pay the charge to collect the item but don't assume that the item will magically work it's back to the seller In China for an automatic refund. The possible customs charge isn't the sellers concern, it's yours.

Plus the fact the seller might charge for the return as they'd have to pay for it themselves.
Haircut_10024/09/2019 19:46

That's not really how it works. Sure, you can refuse to pay the charge to …That's not really how it works. Sure, you can refuse to pay the charge to collect the item but don't assume that the item will magically work it's back to the seller In China for an automatic refund. The possible customs charge isn't the sellers concern, it's yours.

Suppose that depends on the payment method the Op used

...just want to know will I be charged custom charges or anything like …...just want to know will I be charged custom charges or anything like royal mail.

Don't worry. If it slips through border checks unnoticed you can always voluntarily send the appropriate payment to HMRC.
Sc4mp024/09/2019 19:57

Plus the fact the seller might charge for the return as they'd have to pay …Plus the fact the seller might charge for the return as they'd have to pay for it themselves.

Don't be silly. The foreign seller won't even acknowledge receipt of the return: what return?
Doubt it in small items
Depends on how much it costs with the delivery charge. The delivery charge counts too.

"Any parcel assessed as being liable for Customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.
Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £15 are liable for import VAT.
Gifts between private individuals over the value of £39 are also liable for VAT. Goods and gifts over these values may also be liable for customs duty.
You no longer have to pay Customs duty for goods up to the value of £135. However, you will still be required to pay import VAT and excise duty where applicable.
Please note: These limits don’t apply to alcohol and tobacco goods. You may be charged both excise duty and import VAT on these goods."

Normally stuff from China sent via standard post manages to slip through without extra charges but it's not a guaranteed thing.

Stuff sent through couriers is more likely to incur charges. The admin charge is the same as the RM one by the way if they do charge you VAT.
Edited by: "hearts22" 25th Sep

It's your responsibility to check before buying if importing the item will incur extra charges.

Will be RTS if not collected 21 days after notification to pay. RTS method = cheapest & without tracking. Even if the sender receives the return: what return, and not convinced all payment methods refund on non-collections / rejections.

Your username is very appropriate
hearts2225/09/2019 03:23

Depends on how much it costs with the delivery charge. The delivery charge …Depends on how much it costs with the delivery charge. The delivery charge counts too.

It doesn't count for the item value threshold, but if the item is expensive enough to require you to pay import VAT then you'll need to pay VAT on the delivery cost too (just like you do within the UK).
Thanks for all the helpful (and unhelpful) answers, the item arrived within a week, no customs or any other charges which surprised me as it was heavy, anyway got it now. Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants