Expired

Cut the cost of Spaying / Neutering your dog or cat + free microchipping!

Found 27th Jun 2012
Thought I should post this as I didn't know about it, and many others won't either.

I had my dog booked in today to have her spayed which was set to cost me £110. Half an hour before I took her someone told me that if you receive any benefits including working tax credits then the Blue Cross will subsidise some of the cost. All I had to do was bring in my working tax credits letter.

Now I reckon the majority of the country will be in receipt of working tax credits as you have to earn over £60,000 before you are ineligible to receive it.

I though I was going to get £10 off or something, so imagine my shock when the total bill came to £30 including a free microchip!

In effect this has saved me £95 as the microchipping would have been £15. I'm so glad I found out before I took her.

I didn't even have to rebook the appointment. It was the same vets using the same techniques.... just cheaper, a lot cheaper!

UPDATE: Dogs trust do the same. Holly is doing well, the Elizabethan style lampshade dog collar is driving her nuts though. Oh, and for anyone who was asking, she is a Collie x Lab.
Community Updates
37 Comments
I don't get working tax credits and I don't earn anywhere near £60,000.

I'm confused. Granted it doesn't take much...
anything to cut down the cost of owning a pet, heat!
Good Spot
Hi RichardHopkins1, many thanks for posting, as this is more of an Information thread rather than a Deal i have moved it to the Misc section of the forum
dtemple

I don't get working tax credits and I don't earn anywhere near … I don't get working tax credits and I don't earn anywhere near £60,000.I'm confused. Granted it doesn't take much...

Sorry, forgot to add you get Working tax credits if you have children.... doh!
missgem

Hi RichardHopkins1, many thanks for posting, as this is more of an … Hi RichardHopkins1, many thanks for posting, as this is more of an Information thread rather than a Deal i have moved it to the Misc section of the forum

No probs...... no heat on misc??? :-(
same here i dont earn that and i got declined working tax credit
Do you have Children???
Thanks for sharing I will be sure to tell family/friends
Working tax credit threshold is £26000 (or £32000 if you have more than one child) total income not £60000, just checked on HMRC?

hmrc.gov.uk/tax…htm
Edited by: "stewby" 27th Jun 2012
Yet again nothing for the working man.
I earn too much to get tax credits, but I dont have a dog so all is well. X)
guv

I earn too much to get tax credits, but I dont have a dog so all is well. … I earn too much to get tax credits, but I dont have a dog so all is well. X)

Book yourself in instead then.
Out of curiosity who subsidises it, the vet or The Blue Cross, as the latter is a charity.
sickly sweet

Out of curiosity who subsidises it, the vet or The Blue Cross, as the … Out of curiosity who subsidises it, the vet or The Blue Cross, as the latter is a charity.

It will be the blue cross (as you say its a charity so if you can afford it yourself please do) they helped us with a vets bill after our dog ate a peach stone that someone had tossed into the garden and she needed £450 worth of emergency surgery, they footed half the bill, we have since more than repaid with donations to them.

richardhopkins1

Sorry, forgot to add you get Working tax credits if you have children.... … Sorry, forgot to add you get Working tax credits if you have children.... doh!

Ah I see
sickly sweet

Out of curiosity who subsidises it, the vet or The Blue Cross, as the … Out of curiosity who subsidises it, the vet or The Blue Cross, as the latter is a charity.

Half an hour before I took her someone told me that if you receive any … Half an hour before I took her someone told me that if you receive any benefits including working tax credits then the Blue Cross will subsidise some of the cost.

Its all in the op my dear
sickly sweet

Half an hour before I took her someone told me that if you receive any … Half an hour before I took her someone told me that if you receive any benefits including working tax credits then the Blue Cross will subsidise some of the cost.

I saw that but wondered if the vets also had a deal and lowered their fee as well.

I agree with Harlzter that if you can afford it, and are happy to pay it, then do so and leave the money for poorly animals who really need help, charities are all affected by the recession and there's only a certain amount in the pot.
sickly sweet

I saw that but wondered if the vets also had a deal and lowered their fee … I saw that but wondered if the vets also had a deal and lowered their fee as well.I agree with Harlzter that if you can afford it, and are happy to pay it, then do so and leave the money for poorly animals who really need help, charities are all affected by the recession and there's only a certain amount in the pot.

Thats a very good point, if only their were more people like you in the world. I don't think many people no matter their financial status will turn down this subsidised rate though.
harlzter

Book yourself in instead then.

A snip is one thing..... But having them lopped off! oO
paulathompson

Your choice to have a pet, why should the treatment be subsidised by the … Your choice to have a pet, why should the treatment be subsidised by the tax payer??????

It's not subsidised by the taxpayer, it's subsidised by the charity (The Blue Cross).
Its kinda the same with the pdsa i think, but i don't feel people should have pets if they cant afford them or the treatment.
littlepinkstarz

Its kinda the same with the pdsa i think, but i don't feel people should … Its kinda the same with the pdsa i think, but i don't feel people should have pets if they cant afford them or the treatment.

I was always brought up with this thinking, and still believe it but I now also understand how pets can be a lifeline for some people, especially the sick.

I think this is being put forward as a way to reduce the number of pets getting pregnant and producing more animals which the charity may in the end have to treat or rehouse, from that reasoning it seems a sound argument.

On the other hand, I think people should take responsibility for their own pets wellbeing and as this is a planned procedure, it's not an emergency, people get a pet knowing this will have to be done so should pay for it themselves as part of their planned care package (pets need food, water, de-fleaing, de-worming, love and affection, spaying, microchipping & more, none of that is an unexpected cost or thing to do).

I would prefer that donations go towards saving sick pets who have unexpected life threatening illnesses, but if you make a donation it's not like you can stipulate where it gets spent.

Hopefully people who take up this offer will remember The Blue Cross and make donations as a thank you.
Having a pet nutered is a choice personally i dont think a charaty should sub a choice that didn't need to be made and was not a needed op.

I had my dog done a few months ago was £160 with the meds but that was my choice. If you can't afford it dont do it.
i think charities support neutering to curb breeding, often leading to many pups ending up in animal shelters x
Cheap way for the chavs to get there staffies sorted i guess
I personally think by law all dogs/bitches should be spayed/neutered etc.. I think that breeders should be licensed and controlled, I think all dogs need a good home, They still need care, attention and a decent quality of life, Not everyone on benefits are low lives, Lot's of people care about their pets.

Have them spayed/neutered and hand harsher punishments out for any mistreating of animals.
tinkerbell28

I have kids. I don't get wtc.... Also £110 spayed is cheap as chips … I have kids. I don't get wtc.... Also £110 spayed is cheap as chips anyway. £250 here and £200 for castration.

Scam price
loupomm

i think charities support neutering to curb breeding, often leading to … i think charities support neutering to curb breeding, often leading to many pups ending up in animal shelters x

It sickens me seeing the number of unwanted pets on freecycle, there is one guy attempted to offer over 10 different cats this year so far, plus a dog and several rabbits too.

To me a pet is as much part of the family as the kids are, you wouldn't give your kids away because you are bored of them or whatever so dont do it to animals.

The previous owner of our dog had him less than 24 hours before offering him away due to the fact she was 26 weeks pregnant - she was 26 weeks preggo the day before so what changed?

Pets are a lifetime commitment, think before you take one on, its not always easy looking after them but it sure is rewarding.
Need to get our big lad booked in as his plums are the size of my fist and giving me an inferiority complex here.
tinkerbell28

Not really when all the vets for miles are charging the same. It's … Not really when all the vets for miles are charging the same. It's expensive here, that's just the way it is.

Wouldnt it be worth a drive out of the area to save over £100?
harlzter

Need to get our big lad booked in as his plums are the size of my fist … Need to get our big lad booked in as his plums are the size of my fist and giving me an inferiority complex here.

Our dog got 'done' at the age of 17, he was such a randy bug*er and would even...urm...pleasure...himself whenever there were guests in the house.
He was an amazing dog, a complete legend, still miss him.
tinkerbell28

Not really when all the vets for miles are charging the same. It's … Not really when all the vets for miles are charging the same. It's expensive here, that's just the way it is.

Its around the £100 mark here as well, might be worth a longer trip to save £150! just an idea.
tinkerbell28

Not really no. It's expensive everywhere around here. Every village/town … Not really no. It's expensive everywhere around here. Every village/town is pretty much the same! 40 miles either way. It's the shires, people have the money, so they charge it. Plus I don't want to go too far for anything like that as if there is a problem I've got to get there. Even driving, it's a ball ache to go too far as I've got the kids.

Not as bit a ball ache for the dog that's for sure!
I am glad you got a discount from a charity by playing the system, unfortunetley this is why I no longer contribute cash to animal charities. I give pet food only now, more chance of knowing where it goes.
alternate

I am glad you got a discount from a charity by playing the system, … I am glad you got a discount from a charity by playing the system, unfortunetley this is why I no longer contribute cash to animal charities. I give pet food only now, more chance of knowing where it goes.

You ever thought that people who wouldnt otherwise get it done will now if they know they can get it subsidised? This will then lead to less mouths that pet food has to feed thus meaning the charity has a lighter case load and indeed recouping the money used for neutering in the long term.
harlzter

You ever thought that people who wouldnt otherwise get it done will now … You ever thought that people who wouldnt otherwise get it done will now if they know they can get it subsidised? This will then lead to less mouths that pet food has to feed thus meaning the charity has a lighter case load and indeed recouping the money used for neutering in the long term.

That is the noble goal of subsidising it. In reality it is ppl like the OP who can afford it, and would have had it done anyway, saying - hey, why pay more when you can get it done cheap.

Used to work near a PDSA hospital and lets just say there were usually some very nice cars in the carpark. Lots of sick animals being loaded out of 4x4s and Mercs. Just saying.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants