Cutting down a hedge

Posted 8th Feb
I have a front garden hedge that is 5.8 m long , 1.1 m deep and 2.7 m high.

I want to cut 1.1 m off the top to reduce its height.

I have asked the gardener if he can do this and he says it will take too long with gardening tools and that I would be better off getting a handyman to come round with a chainsaw as that would cut the hedge down in no time.

Is he right? Would this job be better suited to a handyman than a gardener? Or should I call a tree surgeon as they use chainsaw to cut down trees?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Gardener is right

/thread

Next question.....
I am impressed with the daylight in London at 6pm in the first week of February!

It's almost as if you took an image of a hedge from somewhere else, or already had this available (but didn't post it at the top of the thread).

In any respect, we still have no idea of the density/width of your shrubbery.
deeky08/02/2020 19:12

Buy something like this and do it yourself OP. It may take a little while …Buy something like this and do it yourself OP. It may take a little while but it will be a nice, neat job and will have only cost you £1.60!

Just think of all these threads we missed before we were all merged
Yet again I’m at a loss for words.
The gardener that has tended your bush for many years has laid out the facts.
Now you doubt the professional, who quite probably doesn’t want to saw his own arm off so late in his career.
Get a tree surgeon in and be done with it.
Then you can live a huge gash down the length of your bush until it grows over, as long as you don’t meddle with it again.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 8th Feb
52 Comments
Change you're Gardner for a start
esar08/02/2020 17:42

No, I am Gardner.

39864590-EjScV.jpg
esar08/02/2020 17:42

he is not saying that he can't do it, he is saying it would be more cost effective to use a chainsaw to cut the hedge down. i would like to know if this statement is true.
I think he meant hedge trimmer rather than a chainsaw. He probably didn’t want the job because it’s gonna need sweeping up and then getting rid of the rubbish.
You could always hire a hedge trimmer and do it yourself perhaps?
The Gardener here would do such a job, we only employ tree surgeons to take down large tree branches, or conifers over 10 foot tall.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Feb
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 17:57

I think he meant hedge trimmer rather than a chainsaw. He probably didn’t w …I think he meant hedge trimmer rather than a chainsaw. He probably didn’t want the job because it’s gonna need sweeping up and then getting rid of the rubbish.You could always hire a hedge trimmer and do it yourself perhaps? The Gardener here would do such a job, we only employ tree surgeons to take down large tree branches, or conifersover 10 foot tall.

no, he says a chainsaw as the hedge is too high and too thick. i have trimmed a hedge before with a hedge trimmer and they take a while to cut anything as they are trimmer and not cutter. to use a hedge trimmer on this hedge would take a very long time unless you have an industrial hedge trimmer i guess, but i don't know how good they are at cutting a hedge from a tall height down.
Without any idea of how thick the main trunks and branches are at 1.6m high that's an impossible question to answer.

I'd suggest getting out the handsaw and loppers and having a go at a section of it yourself so you can get some idea of the job.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 8th Feb
EndlessWaves08/02/2020 18:00

Without any idea of how thick the main trunks and branches are at 1.6m …Without any idea of how thick the main trunks and branches are at 1.6m high that's an impossible question to answer.I'd suggest getting out the handsaw and loppers and having a go at a section of it yourself so you can get some idea of the job.

39864730-GW3bG.jpg
Gardener is right

/thread

Next question.....
I am impressed with the daylight in London at 6pm in the first week of February!

It's almost as if you took an image of a hedge from somewhere else, or already had this available (but didn't post it at the top of the thread).

In any respect, we still have no idea of the density/width of your shrubbery.
A Gardner turning down gardening work haha

Brilliant

He prob don’t want the hassle of getting rid of your big bush
Edited by: "ashmac" 8th Feb
ashmac08/02/2020 18:19

A Gardner turning down gardening work haha BrilliantHe prob don’t want the …A Gardner turning down gardening work haha BrilliantHe prob don’t want the hassle of getting rid of your big bush

i have known him for a long time and he does gardening work for me quite cheaply. he is doing me a favour by telling me that i would be better off getting someone with a chainsaw to come over and cut the hedge. i am inclined to think he is right as i had used a hedge trimmer before in our own garden and it takes a while to trim the hedge so to cut 5.8 m x 1.1 m x 1.1 m of this hedge is no small job and as he charges per hour, it would be expensive.

what i don't know if whether another gardener would use a chainsaw or whether a handyman would be better or even a tree surgeon. who would be the cheapest trade to get for this job.
Edited by: "mutley1" 8th Feb
I reckon a hedge trimmer won't do the job, but if you've a gardener i'm surprised he doesn't hire out a chainsaw to do the job.
m1keyp1key08/02/2020 18:25

I reckon a hedge trimmer won't do the job, but if you've a gardener i'm …I reckon a hedge trimmer won't do the job, but if you've a gardener i'm surprised he doesn't hire out a chainsaw to do the job.

do gardeners use chainsaw though? he is old so he doesn't want to be climbing up a ladder with a chainsaw as he hasn't used a chainsaw before. would a younger gardener be comfortable using a chainsaw?

i know a handyman wouldn't have any worries about using chainsaws but not everyone is comfortable with using one. my husband says he would never use a chainsaw as they are dangerous.
Edited by: "mutley1" 8th Feb
mutley108/02/2020 18:30

do gardeners use chainsaw though? he is old so he doesn't want to be …do gardeners use chainsaw though? he is old so he doesn't want to be climbing up a ladder with a chainsaw as he hasn't used a chainsaw before. would a younger gardener be comfortable using a chainsaw?i know a handyman wouldn't have any worries about using chainsaws but not everyone is comfortable with using one. my husband says he would never use a chainsaw as they are dangerous.

Some will. You don't want an old guy using one though. In fact if he has any kind of heart condition he shouldn't be using hedge trimmers either.

Why don't you ring up a gardener and ask for a quote?

do gardeners use chainsaw though?

Some do. Those that don't will recommend a handyman rather than another gardener that does, for obvious reasons
I'd have thought the opposite. It's hard to tell from the photo because of all the foliage in the way but where you can make out the trunks they look very slim. I suspect you wouldn't even need a saw for that. A decent pair of loppers would go through it, and you may be able to do large chunks with a hedge trimmer.
1.1m deep and 2.7m tall and wanting 1.1m off there's surely going to be some thick branches there.

Ours is maybe 2m high and 1m wide and i cut it every couple of weeks during the summer and if i go any lower than i currently do them i encounter branches that the hedge trimmer struggles to get through.
That's privet. Thin & ready esp the middle through top.

Unless removing everything why is a chainsaw necessary?

Confused chainsaw owner with privet hedge here!
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 8th Feb
m1keyp1key08/02/2020 18:47

1.1m deep and 2.7m tall and wanting 1.1m off there's surely going to be …1.1m deep and 2.7m tall and wanting 1.1m off there's surely going to be some thick branches there.Ours is maybe 2m high and 1m wide and i cut it every couple of weeks during the summer and if i go any lower than i currently do them i encounter branches that the hedge trimmer struggles to get through.

ever sharpened the blades?
I would say a chainsaw given the amount you want taken off and the height, you'll get a much neater job. The sheer amount to get rid of is going to be a bit of a deterrent to a 'one man band'. I would suggest a local tree surgeon as they will have all the equipment and will 'whizz' through it in no time at all, plus they can shred it on site/bag it all up and easily dispose of it.
Hard to tell off photo as others have said but if inside the branches are quite slim/thin I think you could tackle this with some good loopers too. I did this late last year in a hedge about 3m long and about 6ft high. I took off about 1 foot in the height as that’s all I wanted off. It did seem like a never ending job upon starting but once a got into the swing of it I cracked on. Disposing of the rubbish obviously needs to be planned with either a few trips to the tip or filling your garden waste bin(s).
Edited by: "speedemon" 8th Feb
m1keyp1key08/02/2020 18:47

1.1m deep and 2.7m tall and wanting 1.1m off there's surely going to be …1.1m deep and 2.7m tall and wanting 1.1m off there's surely going to be some thick branches there.Ours is maybe 2m high and 1m wide and i cut it every couple of weeks during the summer and if i go any lower than i currently do them i encounter branches that the hedge trimmer struggles to get through.

i had our gardener thin our hedge last summer by reducing its thickness as it was encroaching onto our drive. i think he used a handsaw for the thick branches as there were some very thick branches at the bottom of the hedge. from the comments, a hedge trimmer won't work for this job, or it will take a while to do.

i will get quotes from all three different trades and see who can give me the cheapest rate as any of the 3 trades could do this if they have a chainsaw.
Mr_Gus08/02/2020 18:58

ever sharpened the blades?

It's new and maybe being cordless it's not as powerful as a corded one.
deeky08/02/2020 19:12

Buy something like this and do it yourself OP. It may take a little while …Buy something like this and do it yourself OP. It may take a little while but it will be a nice, neat job and will have only cost you £1.60!

m1keyp1key08/02/2020 19:27

It's new and maybe being cordless it's not as powerful as a corded one.

Likely 18v pack then hmm!

All the more reason to learn the sharpening process.
Yet again I’m at a loss for words.
The gardener that has tended your bush for many years has laid out the facts.
Now you doubt the professional, who quite probably doesn’t want to saw his own arm off so late in his career.
Get a tree surgeon in and be done with it.
Then you can live a huge gash down the length of your bush until it grows over, as long as you don’t meddle with it again.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 8th Feb
I've done that job on a neglected hedge up on the allotment. It's a big job to thin a hedge and reduce its height, believe me. Also the hedge will look awful for the first year. It can be done, I speak from experience. Would I want to do it? No.
Mr_Gus08/02/2020 19:53

Likely 18v pack then hmm!All the more reason to learn the sharpening …Likely 18v pack then hmm!All the more reason to learn the sharpening process.

Can't recall, it's a bosch and it does the job to the level i need. If i trimmed the hedge any lower then our neighbour would lose her privacy.

do gardeners use chainsaw though? he is old so he doesn't want to be …do gardeners use chainsaw though? he is old so he doesn't want to be climbing up a ladder with a chainsaw as he hasn't used a chainsaw before. would a younger gardener be comfortable using a chainsaw?i know a handyman wouldn't have any worries about using chainsaws but not everyone is comfortable with using one. my husband says he would never use a chainsaw as they are dangerous.

cars are dangerous, lions too, & rugs on newly polished floors.
When you involve a ladder with a chainsaw you make it dangerous by asking someone to use such a device.due to the general imbalance through resistance (of the cut / leaning into the cut).

A fella with a chainsaw is going to say trimming tips of a pri vet is a waste of time, unless you want it all down, but likely they'll leave th s stump & the root system intact rather than dig it out (the gruntwork). So either way a pain.

Did the old fella actually mean a pole cutter? Long pole with a short chainsaw on top?
Either way the privet is typically so stringy it would lik ely just get stuck in the teeth as it isn't solid enough, just springy & stringy.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 8th Feb
So you have a gardening issue, but the gardener doesn't want to deal with it.
Seems to me you need a new gardener.

I'm pretty sure dealing with hedges should be bread and butter stuff for a gardener. If he can't deal with it and can't/won't arrange for it to be dealt with, he's no good.
maccy1i08/02/2020 19:28

Maccy, why didn't you mention that i'm good at trimming a bush
psychobitchfromhell08/02/2020 21:11

I've done that job on a neglected hedge up on the allotment. It's a big …I've done that job on a neglected hedge up on the allotment. It's a big job to thin a hedge and reduce its height, believe me. Also the hedge will look awful for the first year. It can be done, I speak from experience. Would I want to do it? No.

what tools did you use? were you able to cut the hedge down in height with a hedge trimmer?
esar09/02/2020 01:11

https://www.google.com/search?q=hedge+art&sxsrf=ACYBGNQPbcTLb3V-PVNpKkn6WVLh7bURdA:1581210621796&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjBk7XLpMPnAhWQTxUIHbPGCQsQ_AUoAnoECDcQBA&biw=1904&bih=738

wow, that is so cool. i wonder if i could get one of those for my own front garden as we have a hedge as well
You need to get this cut ASAP, advice is not to cut hedges between 1 March - 31 July as birds are nesting and laying eggs.

All wild birds are protected. This includes their nests (whilst in use or being built) as well as any eggs the nest may contain. Under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (as amended), it is an offence to:
1. intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird;1
2. intentionally damage, destroy or take the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or
being built (nests of golden eagle, white tailed eagle and osprey are protected all
year round);
3. intentionally destroy an egg of any wild bird;
4. intentionally or recklessly disturb certain wild birds2 or their dependent young while
they are nesting (including disturbance of nesting young);
summerof7609/02/2020 02:02

I can confirm, you’re the best bush trimmer in the UK summer sorry I was a bit slow...

39868223-jDfMA.jpg
mutley109/02/2020 09:48

what tools did you use? were you able to cut the hedge down in height …what tools did you use? were you able to cut the hedge down in height with a hedge trimmer?

Secateurs and loppers. My husband was old school when it came to pruning. He loved it. There will be a considerable amount of material to dispose of
summerof7609/02/2020 02:02

maccy1i09/02/2020 10:04

I can confirm, you’re the best bush trimmer in the UK summer sorry I w …I can confirm, you’re the best bush trimmer in the UK summer sorry I was a bit slow...[Image]

One of my earlier comments on the same subject was removed as being "off-topic" (apparently).
deleted1781209/02/2020 13:17

One of my earlier comments on the same subject was removed as being …One of my earlier comments on the same subject was removed as being "off-topic" (apparently).

Hi fanpages, i'm well known on misc for trimming my bush and hedges at various times of the year
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants