Cutting hole in glass

Posted 20th Feb
I am going to try to cut a small hole in a glass vase to make it into a lamp. I've got the proper bits for the drill, but unsure if the drill speed should be at the highest or not. I'm going to use a battery powered drill as I don't trust myself squirting water on the cutting area. Any advice would be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Not quite the same but whenever I’ve drilled tiles i always put some masking tape on to help with slippage and drill at a slow speed
Glass cutting drill bits, fast and as gentle pressure as possible, drill it under water.
Edited by: "andychelt" 20th Feb
My other half says you need a Diamond Ceramic Drill bit & speed as slow as you can without it dragging & put a bit of masking tape or gaffer tape where you are drilling before you start.

He says do not push the drilling. Put as little as much pressure as possible.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 20th Feb
Can't argue with that
Wongy11020/02/2020 22:46

Can't argue with that

He says like sex. But the gaffer tape took a minute to sink in.
andychelt20/02/2020 22:22

drill it under water.

Not everybody has their own private swimming pool besides which, the mains lead can make it a bit difficult to manoeuvre when you are submerged.
I’ve done it before with special drill bit for glass. Don’t go for the cheapest bits as I did and the head came off! Worked great with a decent drill bit though.

I do advise using some water to cool the glass down and if it’s thick don’t just keep on going on and and on; if it gets too hot you can crack the glass. You can always leave it to cool and go back to it. The water helps cool it too.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 22nd Feb
Willy_Wonka20/02/2020 22:32

My other half says you need a Diamond Ceramic Drill bit & speed as slow as …My other half says you need a Diamond Ceramic Drill bit & speed as slow as you can without it dragging & put a bit of masking tape or gaffer tape where you are drilling before you start. He says do not push the drilling. Put as little as much pressure as possible.

Agree, I drilled a hole in a glass bottle recently, slow and steady is the way. Took a long time but ended up with a nice clean hole and no cracked glass.
deleted2281559
Throw it on floor will get your pieces
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants