Cutting trees down in conservation area

Posted 19th Oct
hi just wondering if I apply for permission too cut down some trees think they are conifers down and replace them with fruit trees, as they are blocking light coming into the front of the house and also they look like they may damaged the house in future in high winds they are around 12-15 meters tall how likely is it council will approve this any one any experience do they allow them too be cut or do they usually do no.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Radical idea but why not ask council?
8 Comments
Are they in your garden ?

Go out at 2 am and cut them down or get one of your mates to do it and say you know nothing about it
Radical idea but why not ask council?
Best to apply just in case even if you don’t live in a conservation area as the tree could have a preservation order on it, cutting it down could start all sorts of grief.

Checked twice when we moved into our house first one they simply emailed back to say no issues, second one, which was then classed as a bush was more of a tree though, at the side of the house they came out and said it’s not council owned and we could remove it at our cost. Three months later council came and removed it anyway, seemed the paper work had got mixed up but saved us a lot of money.
ashmac19/10/2019 21:41

Are they in your garden ? Go out at 2 am and cut them down or get one of …Are they in your garden ? Go out at 2 am and cut them down or get one of your mates to do it and say you know nothing about it

You're talking about trees that are close to 50ft high. Considering that the longest ladder you can get is not much over 20ft this is absolutely not a DIY job. Certainly not something a mate is going to do at 2am.
Check the council website there is loads of guidance on it, I would link it but each council often has its own rules so getting advice on here won’t help. You can always phone up and speak to a tree warden.
38706980-a7RzT.jpgI have 3 large trees in my garden, and am in a conservation area.

Previous owner applied to have one removed, slap bang in the middle of the lawn, the others are nearer the boundary, he was told to plant a dozen or so trees and once there established he could remove the large one.

Fast forward 10 years, and permission has been refused several times now to remove the large one, I now have 8 (Ive taken 4 out since) trees growing over and above the ones that were already an eyesore.

If I could turn the clock back, I'd simply remove it and hope no-one reported it, there is nearby owners in the same situation, some have removed trees without permission with no recourse, now, because 'we went 'through the book' and asked for permission its now flagged and subject to spot checks to ensure it doesn't 'disappear'.

I do obtain permission to trim this back, and do this every 2/3 years at a cost of around £1000, max I'm allowed to do is 20% reduction.
Edited by: "andynicol" 20th Oct
andynicol20/10/2019 14:08

[Image] I have 3 large trees in my garden, and am in a conservation …[Image] I have 3 large trees in my garden, and am in a conservation area.Previous owner applied to have one removed, slap bang in the middle of the lawn, the others are nearer the boundary, he was told to plant a dozen or so trees and once there established he could remove the large one.Fast forward 10 years, and permission has been refused several times now to remove the large one, I now have 8 (Ive taken 4 out since) trees growing over and above the ones that were already an eyesore.If I could turn the clock back, I'd simply remove it and hope no-one reported it, there is nearby owners in the same situation, some have removed trees without permission with no recourse, now, because 'we went 'through the book' and asked for permission its now flagged and subject to spot checks to ensure it doesn't 'disappear'.I do obtain permission to trim this back, and do this every 2/3 years at a cost of around £1000, max I'm allowed to do is 20% reduction.

Is there a cost too apply, really appreciate your comments, I applied too change the Windows too uPVC, and they have rejected majority of people just have them done without applying I told the Inspector whom made they decision he said we didn't have enough man power too stop people but can't allow you seems stupid asking them in that case. I think I will just leave them and when they are more damaged than know as they are going abit brownish then I may ask too remove them, isn't there no diseased trees in your garden and you can apply too cut them in a emergency if they are about too fall over etc.
MynameisM20/10/2019 21:11

Is there a cost too apply, really appreciate your comments, I applied too …Is there a cost too apply, really appreciate your comments, I applied too change the Windows too uPVC, and they have rejected majority of people just have them done without applying I told the Inspector whom made they decision he said we didn't have enough man power too stop people but can't allow you seems stupid asking them in that case. I think I will just leave them and when they are more damaged than know as they are going abit brownish then I may ask too remove them, isn't there no diseased trees in your garden and you can apply too cut them in a emergency if they are about too fall over etc.

Nope, all healthy trees unfortunately.

Applying to my council for tree removal is free, as is reduction but this may vary.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants