Groups

CV

Looking for a job!

What are your CV do's and don'ts?

So far i have...

Qualifications
    Work history - Including a small paragrah about job duties etc.
    About Me - Short paragraph about me.

need anything else?

17 Comments

Remember to keep your CV short and to the point. Ensure it is no more than 2 pages.

Always ensure that you tailor the CV to the position you are applying for. Dont assume that 1 CV will work for every job out there.

Highlight any achievements in past positions, especially those that show you go above and beyond your expected role.

Always get your CV proof read by at least 2 people to ensure it flows well, and all spelling mistakes are removed.

Other than that keep positive as it can be a thankless task sending them out and getting no feedback or interviews.

Monster have quite a good CV guide which you should check out.

Sounds good to me. I would have a sparse front page with the basics on it:-

Name

Marital Status/Dependents:

DOB:

Ethnic origin:

Any other relevant basic details on the front. Then on the second page I would have as 'Education' and list where you were educated and to what level and include any courses even if they were only little things.

Third page I would do employment history and give addresses, time to and from and list your duties etc etc

Last page I would say a bit about your interests etc...

Any help?...:oops:

I think you have probably about covered it there.

Perhaps added some references as in past employers names and address (after asking them of course!) and long time friends etc.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys

i will post my cv when done and let you's proof read it

Thanks

it depends what job you are going for.
    There is some good advice but fundamental errors/common errors with CVs listed.

bingo gave some good advice there but I think sash was a bit off the mark and in the wrong order.

tip
    You don't need to tell them why you left the job

what job are you going for?

you do not need to list all the qualifications
    x number of GCSEs at Grade C or above including Maths and English will suffice.

Original Poster

Hoping for maybe a part time sales job. Liek in a supermarket.

I got the idea for telling them why i left because i got asked it on an application form once?

So you think get rid of why i left job?

your jobs are task focussed but you have to sell to the employer what you can do for them
    If you are good at organisation, bring this out in your job descriptions.
    Bankruptcy and left the job cos it was affecting your schoolwork will be seen as negative selling points

vengod;1822835

Hoping for maybe a part time sales job. Liek in a supermarket. I got the … Hoping for maybe a part time sales job. Liek in a supermarket. I got the idea for telling them why i left because i got asked it on an application form once? So you think get rid of why i left job?

yes get rid of why you left the job. not relevant.
    if you are wanting work in a supermarket, promote what u did at Tesco. Did you supervise? Any successes? Anything else you can tell them about Tesco?
    What about what you can offer them? Timekeeping, punctual, hard working etc

Original Poster

il get rid of the "Why i left"

And il include that im good at organisation

However, i personally think its a good idea to have each grade?

vengod;1822800

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/504/cvse7.pngThanks to all...will … http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/504/cvse7.pngThanks to all...will leave feedback

Your welcome! :-D

vengod;1822864

il get rid of the "Why i left" And il include that im good at … il get rid of the "Why i left" And il include that im good at organisation :)However, i personally think its a good idea to have each grade?

Individual grades are not important.
    Number of passes and maths and English are, otherwise, you leave less space to sell yourself.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044563
      2. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1817
      3. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?33
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767410

See more discussions